Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting paid for photos published in newspapers?

• 04-03-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Has anyone here had a photo they had taken say at an event or festival published by a newspaper and gotten paid for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Yes, what in particular do you have a question of?

who to contact
    invoicing
    what to charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

Borderfox wrote: »
    Yes, what in particular do you have a question of?

who to contact
    invoicing
    what to charge

What to charge and also how to go about invoicing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What to charge and also how to go about invoicing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Normally papers have fixed rates they pay for images, depending on criteria.

Contact the editor and ask for their rate card, and invoice accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As above.

The only time I have really, other than publicity work that was previously paid for by musicians, I was approached by a paper asking for pictures. I went on to agree a rate with them and invoiced accordingly. Unfortunately it deterred me from doing it again as the paper in question put me off for about 4 mths, telling me they paid their accounts on certain dates and other bs really considering it went on for 4 months. In the end I had to explain to them that they did not have an account with me, nor did they request one so my invoice was to be paid within the dates set out upon it.

My advice is to take no crap, if you come to an agreement on rates also find out when they will pay and on your invoice state the payment should be made within 14 days or whatever of that date.

Give them a ring and find out who to invoice - the amount to charge and how long till payment is made

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

Thank you all your advice has been most helpful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

How do people generally go about sending photos into publications who you think might be interested in them?

Ring the picture desk first and ask, find out what sort of delivery they need (email/ftp) and the relevant details like who to invoice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Jim wrote: »
    How do people generally go about sending photos into publications who you think might be interested in them?

With my local papers, they have emails photos@domainname so I send them in there; or drop them in on a disk and address it to the editor at the front desk.

Advertisement