Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Electronic Music Producer Night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Cork is a fair oul journey for us Dubs for a night out. I still check this thread every time theres an update in case theres any sign of a Dublin night happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Or a limerick one. ;) how big are the venues in cork & dublin just wondering what would be a suitable venue round here. I'd defo attend myself. Just as a spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

small-ish with a stage is ideal.

not the corner of a pub, and not club size either.

we had them in the upstairs room in whelans dublin and currently in fred zeppelins cork. tried to get one going in limerick but hard to find interest.

any venue suggestions welcome lads..and i'll chase them up

I could see this going down a treat in Twisted Pepper on Abbey St in Dublin. Its a nice size and the venue is already used for a lot of electro, dubstep nights (mostly dj sets) so this would translate well with the regular crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Popmart97

First post :)

This is a great idea! We're close to having a short live set ready and would be interested in the near future!

• Advertisement

@ Splinters cheers for that i will get on to the Twisted Pepper now to see..

@popmart plenty lined up in the near future.. where are you based?

No problem at all, especially if it means one of these nights in Dublin some time soon ;)

We're based in Dublin. We've been working on this project for a few months now but we think its nearly good to go.

In terms of equipment, what is needed? We use a Macbook, Monome and an APC 40 - Am I to assume we don't need to bring anything else? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

This is something I'd be interested in but everything I produce is just on my laptop with a basic M-Audio Oxygen keyboard/controller so I'm not sure how this would come across 'live'. It'd really just be me pressing play on my DAW :o. I could control the filters and effects with the Oxygen but is this really good enough for a live show?

now we're getting deep lads :D

Mordeith, that there is an endless loop of an argument touching on digital v analogue, software v hardware, fingerkey v patterns, and my own personal favourite.. sampled loops v single hits ..

just play as live as you can.. most of the producers around the world, bigger names included, all now use laptops and controllers onstage and its accepted by the majority.

but if you are not comfortable with it.. go hardware

@ popmart.. yes you are correct. pa will be there and mixer so just bring your own equipment and ALL of your necessary cables, including outputs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Laserface wrote: »
    now we're getting deep lads :D

Mordeith, that there is an endless loop of an argument touching on digital v analogue, software v hardware, fingerkey v patterns, and my own personal favourite.. sampled loops v single hits ..

just play as live as you can.. most of the producers around the world, bigger names included, all now use laptops and controllers onstage and its accepted by the majority.

but if you are not comfortable with it.. go hardware

Thanks for that Laserface.
    I ask the question for fear of being derided onstage for the reasons you've just outlined :eek:. I guess I should experiment to see just how live I can make it with the equipment I have. If I get something together that I'd be happy with then it'd be a Cork gig I'd be aiming for (not sure if I'd get the time with two kids at home though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

Wow.this is brilliant!new to Ireland so lemme know when ya have a date for Dublin.might drop a set in the future :)

next gig.. Thursday July 26th in Cork
    ctrljul2012small.jpg

gig in dublin announced soon.. hopefully ;)

For anyone who missed this a few months ago..
    here is our Ctrl-Alt-Delete compilation Vol.2
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15253011/Ctrl-Alt-Delete%20Vol.2.zip
    (free download)
    17 tracks from irish producers

@dublin people..
    I contacted the aforementioned venue in dublin but no luck.
    Anymore dublin venue suggestions welcome.. but being honest lads.. there is very little interest in dublin in this sort of thing.. besides from a few producers like yourselves.. which is why it started in cork in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Seomra Spraoi might be worth a look if it's something small

seomraspraoievents(at)gmail(dot)com

Done punk gigs there before. Am sure they wouldn't have a problem considering some electronic.

Its amazing there is not more interest in Dublin

Have you tried the Sweeney Mongrel? Dont Lunar Disko have a night there once (or twice) a month?

I wouldn't mind taking a trip to Cork at the end of the month to check it out :)

Anybody at the Cork gig last night?

next gig... Thursday sept 13th.. Cork

202684_10151248449918793_24376942_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭theaaao

so glad I found ths thread! This has just motivated me to seriously produce some material. Going to try make thursdays session too!:D

PS also kudos to the cork people for launching this! Cant believe yere struggling to do something smilar in Dublin!

@theaaao.. really glad to hear that.. hopefully we can get you on the bill soon.

in regard to the dublin struggle... the main issue there is I live in cork. so to put on one in dublin i'd need to get a small budget.. preferably from the venue. the acts themselves should get a fee plus my petrol expense.
    all these factors combined just make it awkward for me.. but not impossible.

we had 2 gigs in dublin last year (upstairs @ whelans) and the support was great. but i cannot afford to do more at the moment.
    i have tried organising more in other venues..but they don't seem interested unless we have a guy from London that pushes the play button "on time" on other peoples music

so as it stands lads.. ye'll have to get your arses down to cork.. its a 2.5 hour journey these days. hope to see some of you tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Our next gig.. nov15th, cork

This month marks our 29th gig.. and our 4th birthday.
    We wanted to end the year with a whallop so we are delighted to announce 2 x 1hour sets from the 2 most interesting producers in the country.

The line up:
    PURIST - estd. in 1999.. armed to the teeth 100% Live, Analog, electronic music of various forms produced and performed on an vast array of hardware synthesizers. Non-stop set.
    http://soundcloud.com/purist-live
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Purist/21595758661

BANTUM - with a string of now legendary live shows in his back pocket.. and a new album out on eleveneleven records, Ruairi Lynch's addictive music never disappoints.
    http://soundcloud.com/bantummusic
    http://elevenelevenlabel.bandcamp.com/album/legion

ctrlnov2012small.jpg

this is a vid of Purist doing what he does best..
    but this clip is 5 years old.
    can't wait to hear & see what he does on Thursday

another wee clip of Bantum to whet the appetite

• Registered Users Posts: 30 digitalfunk

Laserface wrote: »
    next gig... Thursday sept 13th.. Cork

202684_10151248449918793_24376942_o.jpg

Just seen this now. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zoid

any more of these gigs planned in Cork?

next gig in cork october 17th 2013. pls get on to me or onto our facebook page if you are up for playing a set

Advertisement