Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i return my UPC router? Cisco EPC2425

Options
  • 04-03-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hey guys, we just got the UPC router - Cisco EPC2425 and the wifi signal is pretty weak and i can see that it does not have wireless -N . Should i return it and just purchase our own one?

i have changed the channel and all that malark.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You mean swap it for the Scientific Atlanta modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jebus†

i dont know the name of it but yea, swap it for a modem only and then buy a nice wireless N router

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭beeceedeecee

It seems odd that UPC only have the one modem / router available , I have 2 laptops an iPad ,two iPhones and a popcorn hour media nas in the house , the cisco just isn't up to the job .
    Brian

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Jebus† wrote: »
    i dont know the name of it but yea, swap it for a modem only and then buy a nice wireless N router

You have no choice but to use the modem that upc give you.
    Buy your own wireless one & have the cisco one as just a router, disbale the wireless on it in settings & add the mac address of your wireless router in the forwarding/ip forwarding page(do this way if you have upc phone service), I'm a bit hazy as I did this with the folks router. or if you just have upc internet, just enable bridge forwarding
    You have no choice but to use two routers, but at least you have a good wireless router

Hi , I've just noticed that my wifi signal around the house is actually very good , the problem is when I connect my Popcorn Hour c200 via Ethernet to the cisco modem , every thing slows right down , upload and download speeds slow down and transfer speed over the network slows down and gaming starts to lag , etc etc , .
    Beecee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The thomson I received from them for my fibre power upgrade has wireless N with a very strong signal. You should look to get that one instead.

Hi , if im showing a full wifi signal on all equipment , but still geting slow speeds , could it be the router side of thing thats the problem , when i disconnect the popcorn hour from the cisco via ethernet , my speeds return .
    cheers
    beecee

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I just ordered this modem/router off UPC.. is it really that bad?
    Has anybody have anything good to add about it ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's an entire sticky dedicated to how bad they are:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146473

the best thing I can say about them is that I don't believe they've ever caused any deaths.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As Spear points out there is plenty written about this elsewhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement