Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid - the other other typical shooter

Options
  • 04-03-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭

And it may be what some people have for dinner from the same people that create Scribblenauts

http://kotaku.com/#!5776643/hybrid-turns-shooters-upside-down-with-a-new-way-to-deathmatch

The big gimmick in this title will be the movement. In all other respects it basically looks like Gears of War or something, except for a key difference that makes it more like Civilization or Final Fantasy Tactics: you can aim and shoot as normal, but your character can only move into cover, from any other piece of cover. You cannot roam the space.
    The character you control in Hybrid is heavily armed. He's one of three characters on a side in the game's core three-on-three deathmatch. He's got armor, a gun and can effectively shoot from cover. Nothing odd there.
    He can only ever stand in cover.
    He can only ever move...to another cover point.
    You can't make him walk to just any spot on the game's multiplayer maps. You can't make him run there.
    That's a little odd, no?
    While this kind of system may initially sound like it limits your options in a competitive shooter to a spider-web of lanes connecting cover points, you can deviate from the obvious paths. You can change your mind about where you're moving. Once you commit to a point, your character starts traveling there, but during transit, you can flick the left stick, spot a new arrow and commit to that point instead. Your character will change course. You can also retreat, tapping B and having your character move back successively to each of the last three points to which you'd moved.
    Hybrid doesn't feel realistic; it feels like a video game, emphasis on the word game. It feels like a shooter with a new set of rules, which I found immediately encouraging, since I'm one of those people who gets annihilated in shooters that run under all the conventional rules.
    However as per usual my interest is waned due this being another console exclusive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Thought it was odd at first, but when you look at games like Gears of War and Uncharted, almost the whole time spent in combat is crouched behind a wall, if your caught in the open on the harder difficulties your toast.

Will be one to keep an eye on, but want to see how the shooting works and if theres any customisation of loadouts and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This is something I'd expect more from a Time Crisis sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Overheal wrote: »
    However as per usual my interest is waned due this being another console exclusive.

Are there any decent MP cover shooters on PC? Loved the combat in ME2 and it had me wishing for a MP version of that. I know those on 360 have gears etc, What about PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Overheal wrote: »
    Ayou can aim and shoot as normal, but your character can only move into cover, from any other piece of cover. You cannot roam the space.

that sounds kinda awful tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Sisko wrote: »
    Are there any decent MP cover shooters on PC? Loved the combat in ME2 and it had me wishing for a MP version of that. I know those on 360 have gears etc, What about PC?

well Gears is on pc as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Only the 1st one though, but yeah is that it or is there anything else?

Advertisement