Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for tuning Linksys WRT54G V5 with UPC modem

• 04-03-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've got the Linksys WRT54G (V5.0 model - It's about 5 years old.)

I've also got UPC with the old ntl navy blue modem.

My bband speed when plugged directly into the modem is reasonably good - getting 20-25MB down. Via the router it falls off to 10-15MB.

Ordinarily this never really bothered me. But with all the issues with UPC recently I want to squeeze more out of the Linksys - is this possible by tuning settings or should I just get my hands on a newer router - any advice on optimal wireless routers for UPC modems?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm running Tomato on my WRT54GS v 1.1 and getting excellent speeds, bandwidth monitoring ability to turn up transmit power etc. Unfortunately it looks like you actually need to have an older version of the WRT54G!
    This will not work on Linksys WRT54G/GS v5 or newer WRT54G/GS routers.

Might be worth trying DD-WRT.

Advertisement