Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Skills

Options
  • 04-03-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where i can go about doing Mountain Skills course.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Hi Op...
    I'd recommend Bren Whelan (Mountaintraining.ie)... best in the business.
    But if you don't get sorted, drop me a pm as I'm training towards the Mountain Leader Award and I'd be happy to teach you the MS1 foc.
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Dougal Mcguire

thanks very much adagio. Thats very generous of you. How long would it take me to complete ms1 and ms2? Would it take me until after the summer or would it ad quicker? Im hoping to get the courses done so i can start goin on the walks at the start of the summer.

what skill level would the people in mountain rescue be at? (purely just out of curiosity)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

MS1 & MS2 can be completed one after another if you can find an operator http://www.mountaineering.ie/documentbank/uploads/NewProviderlistFeb2010.pdf
    Why do you require the MS1/2 before you can hike? Is it a prerequisite for a club?
    MS1 Should provide you with a good basis for navigation in the mtns in most conditions, while MS2 is for movement on steep ground and night navigation.
    I'd suggest that you take the MS1 and hit the hills, then make an assessment on the requirement for the MS2.
    You can make an early start by purchasing a 1:50,000 map, a magnifying glass, Type 4 Silva Compass and the HillWalking handbook by Steve Long (book used in the ML scheme). Then start listing the 4 D's (Direction, Distance, Description and Deadline) using the map, book and compass.
    Use the mag glass to look at various contour arrangements.. mark out several features and then try to understand them.. e.g. (what does a gully (reentrant) look like on the map.. how do the contours behave?).
    In practicing this feature recognition you will know what to expect during a short leg of your journey... e.g. (if you are traveling 700mtrs in a certain direction then what features do you expect to encounter?). This can be invaluable in night nav/limited visibility as it may give an early indication if you are straying from your compass bearing or have made a mistake.
    But most of all... take your time and enjoy the hills.
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Have a look here for all the licensed MS providers. There is a schedule of courses in a spread of locations, so you should be able to find times and places to suit you.

If your aim in doing the course is just to get out walking, then the MS will give you the skills, but getting out walking with a club or experienced walkers offers offers that too, plus the company, shared trtansport etc.

If your aim is to pass the MS Assesment, then you have to do a course with a qualified, approved provider. Unqualified or unapproved trainers wouldn't be accepted as a basis for being allowed to take the assessment. AFAIK, an exemption would only be made on the basis of significant experience.

I don't know if you have an ambition to join Mountain Rescue, or you just mention it as a reference point, but check for recruitment info. and contacts for your local team here MS is the standard for recruitment operational members, but they do need other volunteers for admin, fundraising etc. They also hold talks in various places that give you an insight into the commitment required, very interesting and well worth attending.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Dougal Mcguire

Thanks for all the replies lads. Very much appreciated

I made contact with a few providers and am going to try and book the ms1 course for this month.

@ Adagio
    I would like to have MS1 and MS2 completed before i start off hill walking as id like to have a good knowledge of mountain skills before i start into it. Just a personal thing but id prefer to have too much knowledge than too little when im out walking.

@ Kevin Duffy
    I had a look at the page and have sent emails to a few providers.
    On the point of mountain rescue, i just mentioned that as a reference point, but it is something that i would really like to get involved in when i have the necessary experience.

Again thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

How did the course go and where did you end up doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Thanks for all the replies lads. Very much appreciated

I made contact with a few providers and am going to try and book the ms1 course for this month.

@ Adagio
    I would like to have MS1 and MS2 completed before i start off hill walking as id like to have a good knowledge of mountain skills before i start into it. Just a personal thing but id prefer to have too much knowledge than too little when im out walking.

By right you should be out hill walking to practice the skills you learned in MS1 before you go and do MS2. I'm not sure on this but I believe you will be asked to log hikes you did since the MS1 course for applying to do the MS2 course. But you should definitely get out on th hills after your MS1 and practice your new skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think the requirement to log walks is before you're allowed to do the MS Assessment, if you even bother doing it, that is. There's no such requirement between MS1 and MS2 as far as I know, apart from the fact that the first thing on the official MS2 syllabus is a discussion of walking experience since MS1.

Advertisement