Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law : A good future career?

• 04-03-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all :D
    I am currently doing my L.C and i am seriously considering doing Law next year in college.
    I was wondering could ye help me with a few Q's :o

1) Do ye think the points for Law this year will rise or drop?
    2) Can you travel with Law? ie work as a solicitor abroad?
    3) Is Law hard to study / demanding?
    4) Are the salaries for solicitors good?

I would really appreciate it if ye could help me as I believe ye're opinions would be helpful:p:D

xoxox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

Employment prospects for solicitors and barristers aren't great at the moment. There's a huge oversupply in the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I am currently doing my L.C and i am seriously considering doing Law next year in college.

I would really appreciate it if ye could help me as I believe ye're opinions would be helpful:p:D

xoxox

1)Cannot say, depends on the college you're talking for and the demand for the course. I can't see them shifting all that much in the main Universities anyway. ITs are generally subject to more fluctuation imo.
    2) Yes. Easily in the EU, but outside the EU, you must satisfy that jurisdiction's admission process (GENERALLY speaking)
    3)Not if you enjoy it
    4)Nowadays its next to impossible to get an apprenticeship, let alone a decent salary ( early on at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

xoxox
    1-Probably drop, there's such an oversupply of lawyers that people are realising it's not a guaranteed money career.
    2-Yes, if you have a recognized law degree, you can potentially practice in places like New York or the UK (after passing professional exams etc)
    3- If you enjoy it, no. Criminal law, constitutional law and human rights law are extremely interesting. Company law; not so much. It's not a subject you can just bluff your way through though. It does take work and commitment.
    4-In general; not right now. There's such an oversupply that it's really tough to get an apprenticeship and a job with a firm. Wages can be very good but it's not a guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Purple violet

xoxox

1) As above, it is difficult to tell however there are so many law schools around the country that the points are much lower than before. With the wide variety of law and law with --- degrees out there some degrees will be much lower points than others.
    2) You can travel, however you have to fulfill the jurisdictional requirements and these can be difficult and time consuming.
    3) If you like reading and are interested in it it can be easy to pass, but I don't think it is fair to say it is easy to do extremely well. It is a competitive degree because everyone is fighting for very few Traineeships.
    4) Not unless you are lucky. However a law degree is a good basic degree, you do not have to pursue the solicitor route, you can go into the EU, Tax consultancy, Accounting, politics, Journalism..... and many many more. The composite degrees are very useful in this respect... degrees like law with Economics, Law and business, Law and french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thread is 7 months old, and presumably OP either got into Law or didn't at this stage! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement