Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help before I'm arrested for GLH (Grevious Laptop Harm)

Options
  • 05-03-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hey guys hops someone can help...

I'm writing this while fighting the MILLION tabs and internet pages popping up on my browser.

Description:
    Acer Laptop, Windows 7.
    When I connect to the internet my o2 homepage just opens again and again.

I've downloaded a few cleaners, deleted 7 infected cookies with Bullguard but still nothing....

Lads, it's not looking good for the laptop!

Any help or opinions greatly received!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

gonna move this to AV/Malware removal

but also:

download superantispyware (mobile version) and stinger (standalone virus scanner from mcafee) and spybot search and destroy. and of course hijackthis

restart the laptop in safemode

run the three scanners above in succession (all three can be run from a usb key so download from aless annoying internet connection :) ). run hijackthis and save the log file to the usb key.

on another PC (DO NOT allow the usb drive to autorun and make sure you scan it with antivirus before browsing the contents!) go to www.hijackthis.de and paste in the contents of your hijackthis logfile. remove any entries that are marked dangerous.

Reboot the laptop. all happy? yes? yay. no? chances are theres something in system restore that keeps restoring itself.

in normal mode: right click "computer" go to properties, go to system protection and turn off protection on all drives.

restart in safemode. do the scanning thing again (all of them including hijackthis)

restart in normal mode. any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Happens me often with O2 broadband try reinstalling it or sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting stops all the tabs opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

It's the O2 stick itself,

Open up O2 and before you click connect go to Tools -> Options -> General, change the Modem type from NDIS to RAS or visa versa depending whichever is active and then reconnect.

O2 are selling returns that have settings all messed with.

Advertisement