Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anichebe sues the arse off Kevin Nolan

• 05-03-2011 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Fair f**ks to Victor, Nolan is not exactly aunty poppins material so I am delighted he got a good aul pay out.

Article :

"Newcastle United have paid Everton striker Victor Anichebe a six-figure sum in damages in an out-of-court settlement.

Anichebe sued Newcastle United for potential loss of earnings following the Kevin Nolan tackle which left him plagued by injuries for more than a year.

Anichebe, who is in line to return to St James’s Park on Saturday for the first time since the incident, has been forced to undergo two operations since the Newcastle captain’s two-footed lunge damaged cartilage in his right knee in February 2009.

A succession of minor injuries as he battled to regain his fitness have restricted the 22-year-old to just 22 appearances for Everton even since he returned to the first team in January last year after 11 months’ recuperation.

Though Everton continued to pay his wages throughout that period, it is understood Anichebe instructed his lawyers to sue Newcastle for potential loss of earnings.

The player was on a highly-incentivised contract with the Goodison Park club and his legal team argued he had lost out on a substantial sum of appearance bonuses that he would have earned had he remained fit.

It is understood Anichebe also asked Newcastle to pay compensation for earnings lost thanks to his inability to feature for the Nigerian national side, thereby earning further appearance bonuses. The case was eventually settled out of court for a substantial sum.

Anichebe, who had not previously suffered a major injury in his nascent career, has struggled to remain fit since Nolan’s tackle.

Fine form in pre-season this year was undermined by a meniscus problem sustained upon his return from Everton’s tour to Australia and he did not return to David Moyes’s plans until November.

Nolan apologised for the tackle — which occurred on the same day as Mikel Arteta tore cartilage in his knee — at half-time during the 0-0 draw at St James’s Park"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Fair f**ks to Victor, Nolan is not exactly aunty poppins material so I am delighted he got a good aul pay out.

It was Newcastle who paid it not Nolan :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

curry-muff wrote: »
    It was Newcastle who paid it not Nolan :rolleyes:

courtesy of Kevin Nolans scumbaggish behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A disgusting challenge:

nolan-anichebe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Title: "Aniche sues the arse off Kevin Nolan"

Second line: "Anichebe sued Newcastle United for potential loss of earnings"

Misleading title, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I wonder if Anichebe gave any of the compensation to Everton, do clubs pay full wack for injured players or is it insurance based??

Probably depends on the players contract but its something that the media are never clear about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

courtesy of Kevin Nolans scumbaggish behaviour
    Jesus Christ... have you ever seen another bad challenge in your lifetime?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Im sure even if he was never tackled that fateful day he would still be awaiting his first goal of the season , he is brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lol at thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Dempsey wrote: »
    I wonder if Anichebe gave any of the compensation to Everton, do clubs pay full wack for injured players or is it insurance based??

Probably depends on the players contract but its something that the media are never clear about.

I would presume it is insurance based. I can't remember the foul but by the sounds of things it was pretty bad, but is this another thing trying to turn the game into a non-contact sport, where is it going to end? Won't somebody please think of the children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Mark! wrote: »
    I can't remember the foul but by the sounds of things it was pretty bad, but is this another thing trying to turn the game into a non-contact sport, where is it going to end?
    If you'd seen the tackle, I don't think you'd be giving it the 'what happened to a proper tackle?' routine. Have a look and then see if you think people are being oversensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    If you'd seen the tackle, I don't think you'd be giving it the 'what happened to a proper tackle?' routine. Have a look and then see if you think people are being oversensitive.

Oooh ye just seen it, that was beyond nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bad tackle but the thread title needs to be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Is this the one?

Looks nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Galvasean wrote: »
    Is this the one?

Looks nasty.

He's not that kind of player.

no wonder anichebe is F*ucked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPEtRmyneY&feature=related

that could have easily been game over for him at his young age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very bad tackle to be fair but Why sue his arse? He didn't exactly land on him did he?;)

no wonder anichebe is F*ucked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPEtRmyneY&feature=related

that could have easily been game over for him at his young age.

It could have but to be fair, Nolan isn't really that type of player. It was a nasty challenge alright but he apologised for it to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

That_Guy wrote: »
    It could have but to be fair, Nolan isn't really that type of player. It was a nasty challenge alright but he apologised for it to be fair.

Nolan throws himself about the pitch and like to get stuck in. Nobody is saying the tackle was intentionally malicious or that he set out to injure Anichebe, but it's no surprise to me that Nolan caused a long term injury to another player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That_Guy wrote: »

In fairness, nolan is liable to do just about anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKT-P9qvi4&feature=related

Nolan is a
    *&*^&***@!!***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Dangerous precedent to be setting.

In fairness, nolan is liable to do just about anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKT-P9qvi4&feature=related

Wow. Kevin Nolan must be the first ever person to complain to a referee. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

m@cc@ wrote: »

Not the 1st to sue and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

disgusting, malicious tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

m@cc@ wrote: »

Agreed. Its football, it should stay on the park.

I realise he lost money and such, but its a sport, I dont want to see tackling totally out of the game...but its being pushed further and further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ebbs wrote: »
    Agreed. Its football, it should stay on the park.

I realise he lost money and such, but its a sport, I dont want to see tackling totally out of the game...but its being pushed further and further.

I've got to disagree here.

I don't want to see tackling totally out of the game either and I love a good, hard challenge as much as the next man. I can even hold my hands up and say if someone honestly goes for the ball but mistimes it then fair enough, these things happen.

However, Nolan made absolutely no attempt to go for the ball here and seriously injured a fellow professional. I'm not just saying this because he plays for Newcastle, in fact I think Nolan is an excellent footballer. However, that tackle was nasty and even if it was out of character, footballers need to know that they or their clubs can be accountable for such acts.

Advertisement