Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor varnish, messed up :(

• 05-03-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all

I have messed up our wooden floor in trying to re-varnish to Mahagony color.
    Problem is really that, the brush/ pad with Ronseal Diamond Floor varnish, has left marks of the brush even after second coat.

Basically you can see dark brush streaks and its near impossible to hide it, unless sand it properly again..

Any ideas how to get this fixed.. Floor is dark from some places and lighter from some.. with brush marks.. :(

Thanks

Rooni

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What timber is the floor originally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Hit it with another few coats until colour balances out. How many coats have you applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭roonimirza

Thanks folks for reply, I have done three coats and sick of it now.. its not coming together.. as a professional job.. and she is constantly crying over this mess : ) Any recommendations and price idea on a rescue from professional.. or how much should be a new floor.. covered area is approx 5 x 5 meters..

I'd imagine about €200-300 to sand and redo. Unsure about that but. Worth getting a pro in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

Could have to do with your paint brush, you should pay at least €15-20 for a decent one that give a much better finish.

I may be way off but just a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

It might help if you posted a pic. It may be your brush, a stiffer brush will leave brush strokes no matter what you try. It may also be the application. When staining, it's very important to keep the 'edge' going, ie not let the paint dry. If the paint drys (and most of these are quick drying) it will leave a big dark line where it meets. Best way is to just focus on a couple of boards at a time, and coat them from one end of the room to the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You need to post some more information for us to help you,what kind of timber is the floor and what kind of brush are you using? Pictures would be a great help!

roonimirza wrote: »
    Hi all

I have messed up our wooden floor in trying to re-varnish to Mahagony color.
    Problem is really that, the brush/ pad with Ronseal Diamond Floor varnish, has left marks of the brush even after second coat.

Basically you can see dark brush streaks and its near impossible to hide it, unless sand it properly again..

Any ideas how to get this fixed.. Floor is dark from some places and lighter from some.. with brush marks.. :(

Thanks

Prep is everything when it comes to this. Probably got different shades because it wasn't sanded throughly. Rent a sander and edger(spelling) and hit it with a few different grades of paper until you get it back to bare wood. Apply your finish, normally three coats for bare wood at least, and you won't have any probs. Make sure prior to application its sanded well and dust free. Sand lighly between coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

All good advice there but might it be best to get a professional in, nothing worse than been reminded of a bad paint job every day.

You might be well capable yourself but just a suggestion if you are not.

Advertisement