Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL: Liverpool v Manchester United. 6/3/2011, KO 1330.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

youre preaching to the blinkered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

keano_afc wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan, great result. Entertaining game, but this thread has it beat hands down. Super stuff.

You must be Wengers lovechild, cos this thread is like watching UK Gold

"It was a really bad tackle"

"No it wasnt"

"Heres a pic, (the same pic every time!)

Repeat ad nauseum!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Rafeal has have missed the ball that was a red card all day. The fact that he got the ball and Lucas managed to avoid being clattered is what saved him from getting a red.

Carragher didn't get the ball and nearly broke Nani's shin in two.

How often do you see a small nimble player getting tackled like that by a defender? The fact is, some players are too fast for their own good. Nani got the ball under control and flicked it away after Carragher had started making the tackle.

cournioni wrote: »
    Yeah, just after Rodriguez went in with the studs pointed at Rafael's knee. At least Rafael got the ball.

This fella got the ball too

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Melion wrote: »
    How often do you see a small nimble player getting tackled like that by a defender? The fact is, some players are too fast for their own good. Nani got the ball under control and flicked it away after Carragher had started making the tackle.
    So its Nani's fault that Carragher went through him with his studs knee high? You're a joker man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Preaching to the converted. We've seen enough leg breaks in our squad the past few years to really make this kind of tackle píss me off.

Carragher may have gone in with some intention of getting the ball. But, IMO, he's was more concerned with letting Nani 'know he was there'. There was no need to go in at full pace and with his foot that high. It was a cowardly challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

The fact is, some players are too fast for their own good.

I agree, it was Nani's fault. He shouldn't be so fast, it causes slow players to make shít tackles.:rolleyes:

Honestly, in the cold light of day, wouldn't you be better off admitting that it was an awful challenge?

Liverpool were still deserved winners, regardless of the tackle.

You lads seem so concerned on my opinion of his tackle, i stated last night that he should have got a red and the hilarious reaction of Nani and his previous form for theatrics are what kept Carra on the pitch.

Preaching to the converted. We've seen enough leg breaks in our squad the past few years to really make this kind of tackle píss me off.

Carragher may have gone in with some intention of getting the ball. But, IMO, he's was more concerned with letting Nani 'know he was there'. There was no need to go in at full pace and with his foot that high. It was a cowardly challenge.

He was letting Nani know he was there, no doubt about it. If he had won the ball first and then clattered Nani in the same way, would there be the same outrage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yeah, then you didn't answer my question.

If you thought Gerrard's tackle in the FA cup wasn't a sending off, then do you think Rafael's tackle wasn't a sending off either?

It should have been a free kick which would have left players in a different position and therefore Gerrard's challenge would not have happened and Liverpool would have still had 11 players, using his logic

• Advertisement

You lads seem so concerned on my opinion of his tackle, i stated last night that he should have got a red and the hilarious reaction of Nani and his previous form for theatrics are what kept Carra on the pitch.

So if he should have seen red, why on earth are you still arguing with people?

This thread is a classic. I've never seen a thread where some fans of both teams go into meltdown at the same time.

A truly bizarre thread.

If he had won the ball first and then clattered Nani in the same way, would there be the same outrage?

Of course not. If he had got the ball and then clattered Nani then the ref would have been within his rights to just give a yellow. As it was though it should have been red. I still don't agree with that tbh, but it's what would have happened.

Similairly the only thing that saved Rafeal from not getting a red from his challenge was that he got the ball. If Lucas nicks that away then it's one of the worst challenges of the season.

#15 wrote: »
    So if he should have seen red, why on earth are you still arguing with people?

This thread is a classic. I've never seen a thread where some fans of both teams go into meltdown at the same time.

A truly bizarre thread.

Who am i arguing with?
    All i have said this morning is that it wasnt a knee high tackle.

Of course not. If he had got the ball and then clattered Nani then the ref would have been within his rights to just give a yellow. As it was though it should have been red. I still don't agree with that tbh, but it's what would have happened.

Similairly the only thing that saved Rafeal from not getting a red from his challenge was that he got the ball. If Lucas nicks that away then it's one of the worst challenges of the season.

Where is the line though?
    The video i posted a few minutes ago, the player got the ball and nearly killed the other player, obviously a red. If Carragher played the ball, followed through and actually did break Nanis leg, what would the reaction have been to that? It was a fair tackle but Nani is now out for 6-8 months if not longer. Would United fans be ok with saying, "Nani might be out, but Carragher got the ball so its ok"?

it wasnt a knee high tackle.

carragher-foul.jpg

carragher-foul.jpg

What is it you're trying to prove?
    That just shows that he didnt touch his knee :confused:

The video i posted a few minutes ago, the player got the ball and nearly killed the other player, obviously a red. If Carragher played the ball, followed through and actually did break Nanis leg, what would the reaction have been to that?

IMO that shouldn't be allowed.

But in the twisted mindset of the FA where 'Men are Men' and 'tackling is going out of the game', that would be perfectly acceptable probably.

Id like to see how this would be viewed by the FA nowadays

****ing perfect tackle, that would probably result in Parker being sent off if he did it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I am a Liverpool fan but whatever way you look at it Carragher's tackle was a bad one, I think he has admittd that himself. I think Nani's reputation and theatrics go against him at times but in this case he did get clattered. Carragher made a similar enough tackle on Pienaar in the Derby last year.

It looks as though Nani wasn't wearing shinpads though, can anyone confirm this or did he pull it out afterwards?

He was wearing shinpads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

The video i posted a few minutes ago, the player got the ball and nearly killed the other player, obviously a red. If Carragher played the ball, followed through and actually did break Nanis leg, what would the reaction have been to that? It was a fair tackle but Nani is now out for 6-8 months if not longer. Would United fans be ok with saying, "Nani might be out, but Carragher got the ball so its ok"?

Any update on his injury yet and how long he could be out for?

Vudgie wrote: »
    Any update on his injury yet and how long he could be out for?

I said last night, id be very confident he will play in Uniteds next game. Some peoples reactions last night would make you think he is out until Euro 2012 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This thread is pure sh1te.

What exactly are you all arguing about? I don't get it :confused:

It was a bad tackle by Carragher. As that picture Melion shows, Carragher's heel of his boot his Nani above his shinpad first and obviously pushes the thing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

If Rafeal has have missed the ball that was a red card all day. The fact that he got the ball and Lucas managed to avoid being clattered is what saved him from getting a red.

Carragher didn't get the ball and nearly broke Nani's shin in two.

And yet Nani with his shin "nearly in 2" was able to get up, run 15 yards towards the REF. Remonstrate with him. Grab his face, and then, suddenly remember that it was actually his shin and not his head that was the problem?

Gimme a break FFS.

Nani is typical of the type of player who's reputation precedes him. If it had been Scholes or Gerrard for example, it probably would have been a sending off. But because this prima f**king donna carries on to his liking week in and week out, he is simple no longer believed.

Carragher should have been sent off. So should Rafael. They weren't. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thuggery of the highest order from Carragher, that said Liverpool were the better team on the day and wanted it more, they deserved their win.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Nani is typical of the type of player who's reputation precedes him. If it had been Scholes or Gerrard for example, it probably would have been a sending off. But because this prima f**king donna carries on to his liking week in and week out, he is simple no longer believed.

Gerrard is a poor example. He is another of the prima donna posse.

Kuyt/Lucas would be an example of a decent honest player.

And yet Nani with his shin "nearly in 2" was able to get up, run 15 yards towards the REF. Remonstrate with him. Grab his face, and then, suddenly remember that it was actually his shin and not his head that was the problem?

Gimme a break FFS.

Carragher should have been sent off. So should Rafael. They weren't. Get over it.
    The issue is that Carragher has a habit of doing this and getting away with it. If it had been Rooney the papers would be dominated by stories about how he kills babies on the front and back pages.

Nani has been our best player this season so far and had to be strechered off yesterday as a result of that "challenge". So no, we won't give you a break. We've heard enough ****e over the week gone by about how Rooney should have been suspended, so now you have to listen to us.

In the last two games:

Chelsea were given a debatable penalty.
    Luiz should have been sent off, twice.
    Carragher should have been sent off.
    Rodriguez should have been sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thuggery of the highest order from Carragher, that said Liverpool were the better team on the day and wanted it more, they deserved their win.

Serious lol.

It was a bad tackle. Rafael's tackle was as bad. Both got yellows, could've gotten reds.

Liverpool won 3-1.

End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yet you're trying to defend him now by saying nani is too quick for his own good,you really don't have a clue and I think you're confusing yourself at this stage

• Advertisement

Gerrard is a poor example. He is another of the prima donna posse.

Kuyt/Lucas would be an example of a decent honest player.

I'd challenge you on that, but I couldn't be arsed tbh. Plenty of example out there of Nani and others acting in this manner. Like I said Carragher should have been sent off, so should Curly, they weren't boo f**king hoo.

IMO it would have made shag all difference to the result, and Manu were out-thought and out-played by Liverpool. Serious issues for them in midfield, and no cover in CH positions, Berba back to his usual anonymous self, and Rooney looking like he's never kicked a ball.

My advice to all those bitching and moaning would be to get over it and concentrate on the glaring deficiencies in the Manu team.

SAF acting like a spoilt child after the game, and refusing to give interviews, just demonstrates the level of maturity being meted out in the dressing room.

The issue is that Carragher has a habit of doing this and getting away with it. ......
    QED Nani.....Rooney etc... ad infinitum.

Serious lol.

It was a bad tackle. Rafael's tackle was as bad. Both got yellows, could've gotten reds.

Liverpool won 3-1.

End of story.
    Cop on. Rafael got the ball.

Nani has been our best player this season so far and had to be strechered off yesterday as a result of that "challenge". So no, we won't give you a break. We've heard enough ****e over the week gone by about how Rooney should have been suspended, so now you have to listen to us.

In the last two games:

So if it was Rooney or Carrick(Uniteds worst players this season) stretchered off it would have been ok? But because Nani has been your best player that somehow makes it worse?

And please, for the love of god, dont start going on about United having refereeing decisions go against them for once.

QED Nani.....Rooney etc... ad infinitum.
    What did Nani do? :rolleyes:

To be honest, I would have preferred if Rooney had been suspended for the past few games.

Cop on. Rafael got the ball.

Ill try again, this guy got the ball too. Does that make it ok?

• Advertisement

Serious lol.

Liverpool won 3-1.

End of story.

Raking a players shin is thuggery, very seldom you see it in the professional game.

Rafael's tackle was noting like it.

I am aware of the score thank's, well done, your season is over now, time to plan for next year, you never know it just might be your year.:D

So if it was Rooney or Carrick(Uniteds worst players this season) stretchered off it would have been ok? But because Nani has been your best player that somehow makes it worse?

And please, for the love of god, dont start going on about United having refereeing decisions go against them for once.
    I get your point. Its Nani's fault for being too quick. Sorry for arguing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FatherTed wrote: »
    Not so sure about all the gloating going on in here though and why all the Liverpool fans are so excited when they are sitting in 6th place. We have no midfield, played shyte away from home all season and have been poor in general. Yet we're still top of the Prem.

very simple.

1. some Liverpool fans are gloating because we beat Manchester United. United fans do the same when it's the other way round.

2. we're not 'excited' by 6th place. but you'll understand that after the first 4 months of the season, and arguably the whole last year, it does give us a huge sense of relief and excitement to be on the up for a change.

you'd swear both these were cardinal sins the way some rival fans go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The issue is that Carragher has a habit of doing this and getting away with it. If it had been Rooney the papers would be dominated by stories about how he kills babies on the front and back pages.

In the last two games:

I'd suggest applying the same reasoning on the Rooney case to Carra. Ref seen it and acted. Nothing can be done about it. Same with Rafael.

PS. That penalty wasn't very "debatable".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What did Nani do? :rolleyes:

To be honest, I would have preferred if Rooney had been suspended for the past few games.
    It's what he does all the time. Faking, diving, histrionics, I've already said that. He's a cancer to the game, and it's players like him that have ref's getting all the blame for incorrect decisions. Like I said, if he was an "honest" player, Carragher would most probably have been sent off. But because this joke, week in week out, goes down like the main character in platoon, everytime somebody goes near him..nobody, including ref's believe him. Look at his reaction yesterday? Up on his feet, screaming at the ref, and then back down like he had lost his legs? He's a caricature of himself.

• Advertisement

My advice to all those bitching and moaning would be to get over it and concentrate on the glaring deficiencies
    The same glaring deficiencies that see us top of the table????nothing can be done about them till summer and this is a match thread,you'll find plenty of that in the superthread

Raking a players shin is thuggery, very seldom you see it in the professional game.

Rafael's tackle was noting like it.

I am aware of the score thank's, well done, your season is over now, time to plan for next year, you never know it just might be your year.:D

^ are the kids off school today?

SlickRic wrote: »
    very simple.

1. some Liverpool fans are gloating because we beat Manchester United. United fans do the same when it's the other way round.

2. we're not 'excited' by 6th place. but you'll understand that after the first 4 months of the season, and arguably the whole last year, it does give us a huge sense of relief and excitement to be on the up for a change.

you'd swear both these were cardinal sins the way some rival fans go on.

It's only one game, a bit early for the on the up comments TBH, remember last week?;)

cambo2008 wrote: »
    The same glaring deficiencies that see us top of the table????nothing can be done about them till summer and this is a match thread,you'll find plenty of that in the superthread

For now, and best of luck. I don't think they award the title in March???? + >????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Ill try again, this guy got the ball too. Does that make it ok?

Nice one Melion , but I don't think people get the fact that it doesn't matter if you get the ball or not. Endangering the safety of an opponent is a red card all day with or without the ball. You are wasting your time I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's only one game, a bit early for the on the up comments TBH, remember last week? ;)

i would have thought it's quite obvious the bigger picture is we're on the up again...playing better, winning more points than we have in a long while. and yesterday was a bit of extra confirmation of that.

but don't let that get in the way of a smug comment.

;)

For now, and best of luck. I don't think they award the title in March???? + >????

Where in that post did I say anything other than being top for now,you might want to reply to what's posted and not what you imagine or have an easier answer for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Liverpool fan here.

Carraghers tackle was a red card offence.

Rafaels tackle was a red card offence - how many times do we hear that it doesn't matter if you win the ball, if you go 2 footed it's a sending off offence.

Anyone who honestly thinks either player deserved to stay on the pitch is talking s*ite...and need to take off the blinkers, whichever shade of red they are wearing.

For what its worth, I think Dowd knew he'd been to lenient with Carra so he did the same with Rafael. We can argue which tackle is worse all day long, what isn't in doubt is both should have walked.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Where in that post did I say anything other than being top for now,you might want to reply to what's posted and not what you imagine or have an easier answer for

Last time I looked, I did not have to directly address every point in a post I was replying to.. But, just for you.

Yes you are correct, you are top of the table. Well done, for now. Jog on......

My point is, lets see if you can sustain that position with some glaring deficiencies in your team. Chelsea on the up. Arsenal might stumble to the title, but I fear that there are too few games left, and United may just struggle over the line.

If they do, and believe me in this. I will be the first to congratulate them*.

*This may not be true

SlickRic wrote: »
    i would have thought it's quite obvious the bigger picture is we're on the up again...playing better, winning more points than we have in a long while. and yesterday was a bit of extra confirmation of that.

but don't let that get in the way of a smug comment.
    ;)

I didn't:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement