Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL: Liverpool v Manchester United. 6/3/2011, KO 1330.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

RasTa wrote: »
    Only bit I don't agree with. Defenders weren't at fault for yesterdays goals, maybe 3rd but blame goes to VDS for spilling.

No-one was particularly at fault, but their general defending was not good. We carved them open quite a few times, fairly easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Oh my poor fcuking head :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW2C592Q3phK7eRFC_-2wAijA-NW6ccDQX0IOodB8O6xEsFWnm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well it seems Nani didn't require stitches so it doesn't seem as bad as made out from some of the pictures.

United fume at Carragher tackle after falling to Kuyt - Premier League, Football - The Independent

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

rossie1977 wrote: »
    your what if is exactly the same as the cup game, if the utd player had been dealt with properly a minute earlier gerrard would not have made his challenge

And what does that prove? I've already posted about the cup game and how Rafael's tackle could have changed the game. I've also pointed out the hypocrisy of some Liverpool fans saying "move on" when the reverse was happening in the Cup tie thread. Fans need to be reasoned and call it as it happens, not strictly according to their partisan views. Liverpool deserved to win. But they got a stroke of luck at that moment that helped them. That is a fair description of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

jethro081 wrote: »
    i was having a lot of trouble with my stream earlier so i had the sky sports live commentary open,

it provided me with this gem,

"nani appears to be in tears"

never has a sentence on a computer screen made me laugh so much, it was stunning,
    the lad i was watching it with was an obviously disapointed united fan (Disappointed due to the drubbing in case you were wondering), and it even drew a wry smile from him,

i do not care if he got a nick on his leeg, Nani can cry me a river, but i wll thank him quietly for providing me with that moment, so, Nani, i applaud your being a massive girl :D

The only massive girl on display yesterday is caragher and his cowardice.
    Melion wrote: »
    Ive seen the pictures, just like you no doubt. I asked what has yesterdays tackle got to do with him getting close to winning another premiership medal

I think the idea is that no amount of dangerous tackling will prevent Nani winning yet another League medal, and that caragher will retire without a single one. A lot of people get a lot of pleasure out of that.;)
    FYP Carragher won the ball. You must have been watching the match through your "Manc" tinted glasses :D

Yet another one of ye makes themselves look foolish by assuming everyone who isn't a pool fan is a United fan.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And what does that prove? I've already posted about the cup game and how Rafael's tackle could have changed the game. I've also pointed out the hypocrisy of some Liverpool fans saying "move on" when the reverse was happening in the Cup tie thread. Fans need to be reasoned and call it as it happens, not strictly according to their partisan views. Liverpool deserved to win. But they got a stroke of luck at that moment that helped them. That is a fair description of the game.

Funny enough, I think if people accept the red card for Gerrard was right in the cup tie (which I think the majority of Pool fans did, we were more annoyed at him than the card tbh), then a Rafael red would have been okay yesterday.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The only massive girl on display yesterday is caragher and his cowardice.

I think the idea is that no amount of dangerous tackling will prevent Nani winning yet another League medal, and that caragher will retire without a single one. A lot of people get a lot of pleasure out of that.;)

how was he cowardly?

he did him alright, but i dont see how that makes him a coward? is he afraid of nani?

your second point is ridiculous, if someone tackles him really dangerously and he never plays again how will he win yet another league medal to add to his massive haul?

and how do you know carra will retire without winning one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Cyrus wrote: »
    how was he cowardly?

he did him alright, but i dont see how that makes him a coward? is he afraid of nani?

your second point is ridiculous, if someone tackles him really dangerously and he never plays again how will he win yet another league medal to add to his massive haul?

and how do you know carra will retire without winning one?

He was certainly afraid of Nani yesterday, had tp end his game as soon as hew was put marking him.

He probably already has enough appearances this season.

How many years left in old caragher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

he is the same age as frank lampard and a few months older than rio ferdinand ffs, he ain' t that old, given the style of his game he could easily still be playing at the top level at 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

He was certainly afraid of Nani yesterday, had tp end his game as soon as hew was put marking him.

He probably already has enough appearances this season.

Mate, for your own sake, I suggest you stop with these childish comments.

No reasonable person would call Carragher a coward.
    A fully committed, sometimes to his detriment type player that has had a hugely sucessful career, and even though he has not won a League medal, he has won almost every other club trophy available.
    99% of the players in the history of the PL are envious of how much he has won, and to nibble on about the league shows a serious lack of respect for those players unfortunate enough not to be playing for a League winning team even though they are good enough to.

He is highly respected in the game, and that is why when you see stupid/foolish challenges like yesterday, the response is generally measured.

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »
    nibble on about the league shows a serious lack of respect for those players unfortunate enough not to be playing for a League winning team even though they are good enough to.

got to agree with this, just because he doesn't have a league medal doesn't make him any less of a player, paul mcgrath never won a league medal but wes brown has 5 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

rossie1977 wrote: »
    got to agree with this, just because he doesn't have a league medal doesn't make him any less of a player, paul mcgrath never won a league medal but wes brown has 5 :eek:

ah ere FFS, don't go mentioning Paul McGrath in the same light as that nasty piece of work. Hes not fit to lace McGraths boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A mod needs to badly close this thread

Max age seems to be 6 years old in this place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

A mod needs to badly close this thread

Max age seems to be 6 years old in this place.

No way! I was on holidays and I'm only getting to read the solid gold that this thread contains now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

No way! I was on holidays and I'm only getting to read the solid gold that this thread contains now!!
    You can still read a closed thread :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    You can still read a closed thread :confused:

But it's still delivering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ah ere FFS, don't go mentioning Paul McGrath in the same light as that nasty piece of work. Hes not fit to lace McGraths boots.

You're going on as if Carragher makes these challenges week in week out, it was a poxy tackle which he went into the utd dressing room and apologised for afterwards. Oh and Paul McGrath, the ambassador of the great game wha!

You're going on as if Carragher makes these challenges week in week out, it was a poxy tackle which he went into the utd dressing room and apologised for afterwards. Oh and Paul McGrath, the ambassador of the great game wha!

this is a guy who believes carragher should be in jail for that tackle

maybe carragher was watching the how to tackle dvd by roy keane on saturday night :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyw7zWgKOQ&feature=related

K-9 wrote: »
    Funny enough, I think if people accept the red card for Gerrard was right in the cup tie (which I think the majority of Pool fans did, we were more annoyed at him than the card tbh), then a Rafael red would have been okay yesterday.

I agree both tackles deserved red cards. Both Gerrard and Rafael were reckless. Only the most one eyed, partisan fans of United and Liverpool can really argue otherwise. I don't think there are many United fans saying the Rafael tackle was not worthy of a red card, it clearly was. The issue is that the chances of him making such a tackle would have decreased were Carragher sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

GTFO, it was a disgraceful cowardly tackle that could have quite easily have snapped Nani's leg. His positioning of the leg and the way it was plated made it all the more remarkable that he didn't break his leg.

If your calling it a poxy tackle then you really do need to take off the rose tinted scouse glasses. They're embarrassing tbh.

GTFO, it was a disgraceful cowardly tackle that could have quite easily have snapped Nani's leg. His positioning of the leg and the way it was plated made it all the more remarkable that he didn't break his leg.

If your calling it a poxy tackle then you really do need to take off the rose tinted scouse glasses. They're embarrassing tbh.

Poxy= Bad, im not excusing the tackle.

Have you been at the sherry cabinet man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

30wt352.gif

nanibarbie.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's blatant people are taking exception to the fact Carra's being labelled as someone who does this sort of shít all the time...not the fact it was a bad tackle, or even the fact that he went in to 'make it known he was there'. it was stupid, reckless, bordering on thuggish behaviour.

he's a dislikeable fellow at times IMO, but he doesn't make a habit of that sort of tackle as far as i've noticed throughout his career.

why Utd fans seem to be continuing to get angrier and angrier is beyond me. nobody is defending the tackle. nobody. everyone's on the same page that Carra should have been off the field and it was disgraceful that it wasn't spotted.

i don't know what some people want from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Maybe you should look up the meaning of the word 'poxy' before going off on one.

It means crappy, stupid and dumb, which is what it was. No rose tinted glasses being worn by Sir Gallagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

rose tinted scouse glasses.

Here, grow up, will ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Benimar wrote: »
    Maybe you should look up the meaning of the word 'poxy' before going off on one.

It means crappy, stupid and dumb, which is what it was. No rose tinted glasses being worn by Sir Gallagher.

Poxy
    1. having or having had syphilis.
    2. rotten; lousy.
    Collins English Dictionary

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What is the story with people talking about whether players made contact with the ball or not? It has no bearing on whether a tackle is worthy of red. Holy crap, how do yis not know that by now? Laws of the Game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Poxy= Bad, im not excusing the tackle.

Have you been at the sherry cabinet man?

No, must be that time of the month. My interpretation of poxy in the context you used ut was severely down playing the tackle.

Apologies if that's not what you meant.

SlickRic wrote: »

There are two things annoying me. Mainly it is the people suggesting that a red card would not have changed the game (and what would have happened immediately after) that is annoying me. You can at least admit it would have made it an interesting second half. o

The other annoying thing is more representative of the typical Boards/wider football fan. It is the spiteful, one eyed comments or the "you're crap because you lost one game" type. Not saying everybody is like that, but there are always a few posts like that no matter who won. If United had some, there would be typical posts saying Liverpool are finished etc. I'd just like more reasoned debate, not myopic viewpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Come on now. I really doubt Carragher even thought whether Nani had his weight on the leg or not.
    If he didn't, then the injury is irrelevant to determine the seriousness of the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

why Utd fans seem to be continuing to get angrier and angrier is beyond me. nobody is defending the tackle. nobody. everyone's on the same page that Carra should have been off the field and it was disgraceful that it wasn't spotted.

Its because most of them have nothing else to say, most of the mancs I met in work this morning all had the same thing to say, "sur carragher should have been sent off, wuda bet ye then" nothing about Liverpool been the better team by far....

Most of them just cant take their medicine and admit defeat, blaming refs, bad tackles like Rafael's one :D or penalties that should not have been given, nothing about their team been sh ite on the day......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There are two things annoying me. Mainly it is the people suggesting that a red card would not have changed the game (and what would have happened immediately after) that is annoying me. You can at least admit it would have made it an interesting second half. o

i'm not sure why that's so annoying.

it's quite obvious Liverpool being down to 10 men could have made a world of difference. that almost goes without saying i would have thought. even though we were 2-0 up at the time.

it also may not have.

and yes, we don't know if Rafael would've done what he did if Carra had gone. he may well have because he's a nutter, but we don't know. all ifs and buts.

none of this, if it was me, would give me any greater comfort tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

I agree both tackles deserved red cards. Both Gerrard and Rafael were reckless. Only the most one eyed, partisan fans of United and Liverpool can really argue otherwise.

And you're Damn right!
    I don't think there are many United fans saying the Rafael tackle was not worthy of a red card, it clearly was. The issue is that the chances of him making such a tackle would have decreased were Carragher sent off.

So, you are making the argument that if Carragher got a red card Rafael essentially wouldnt.... You are making an excuse for Rafael. He is somehow not responsible for his actions because Carragher has taken away his ability to make a decision? The if's of a matter only try to excuse an action. In a genuine discussion about culpability and responsibilty for an action ifs and buts should not occur

Both players acted in a stupid manner. Both made the wrong decision. And in a situation like this Rafaels actions need to be looked at as well. He is a young player who has made similar tackles in the past. I hope that the staff at Man Utd are not treating the situation as lightly as the folks on here. I would hate to see a player with obvious skill think that a tackle like that on Lucas is acceptable. Aggression is good for anyones game as long as it is directed properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

No, must be that time of the month. My interpretation of poxy in the context you used ut was severely down playing the tackle.

Apologies if that's not what you meant.

Can we put this poxy issue behind us now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

kop77 wrote: »
    Most of them just cant take their medicine and admit defeat, blaming refs, bad tackles like Rafael's one :D or penalties that should not have been given, nothing about their team been sh ite on the day......

In fairness I have found that to be true of most football fans, there are just more United fans so you probably notice the idiots one more, or run into more. Either that or you have idiot friends.

The majority I have talked to, have talked more about Uniteds poor performance, how its a reflection of a lot of performances away from home this year, and how the problems experienced should have been fixed a long time ago, rather than the Carra tackle.

Maybe you need to upgrade your friends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think you are not understanding what I mean. I don't mean a small cut that can be patched up easily. If he had a large gash, that could not be stitched or stapled, it is dangerous to play with it. There are obvious issues with further swelling and it is susceptible to infections etc. I don't mean a little cut on the head that can get a plaster or bandage on it, I mean an actual gash.

I don't mean a little cut on the head either. There is a level of severity that yes, no matter what, you can't play on with. But there is also a level where the player has a choice. We can't know whether Nani really had a choice or not, but I don't believe for one instant that he would really have the bottle of somebody like Evra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

loving watching ppl squirming for victories :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

it's blatant people are taking exception to the fact Carra's being labelled as someone who does this sort of shít all the time...not the fact it was a bad tackle, or even the fact that he went in to 'make it known he was there'. it was stupid, reckless, bordering on thuggish behaviour.

he's a dislikeable fellow at times IMO, but he doesn't make a habit of that sort of tackle as far as i've noticed throughout his career.

I agree with the gist of your post, but the bit I highlighted is open to debate. If we take Carragher at his word, then he has said in his own autobiography that he has gone out to injure or hurt other players on purpose, including one or two in training. The Rigobert Song chapter in his book highlights this.

But while I do think that it was worth a red card, then simple fact is that the ref spotted it and gave a yellow.

Not too long ago people were crying out for Rooney to be punished for his thuggish off the ball elbow. That was also a red card worthy offence in my eyes, but the ref gave a yellow, and once that happens there is eff all any supporter can do about it.

Just back from Liverpool.

What a f*cking result and performance.

Suarez is something very special.

Anfield was rocking yesterday !

Get the f*** in !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't mean a little cut on the head either. There is a level of severity that yes, no matter what, you can't play on with. But there is also a level where the player has a choice. We can't know whether Nani really had a choice or not, but I don't believe for one instant that he would really have the bottle of somebody like Evra.

That's a great story. Fair play to Evra. You could even see him and Carra almost agreeing after the tackle in the video clips.

Very good story that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'm not sure i'd believe everything Evra says...
    Manchester United regular, he has become a team leader. One of Ferguson’s most trusted deputies, he even helps “the boss” with his French. “He has a good vocabulary but when he does the mistake I try to help him,” chuckles Evra. “He say every time ‘bonjour’ when I arrive and before the game he says ‘merde’ and it means good luck. I think he likes the French.”

:D

Spud83 wrote: »
    In fairness I have found that to be true of most football fans, there are just more United fans so you probably notice the idiots one more, or run into more. Either that or you have idiot friends.

The majority I have talked to, have talked more about Uniteds poor performance, how its a reflection of a lot of performances away from home this year, and how the problems experienced should have been fixed a long time ago, rather than the Carra tackle.

Maybe you need to upgrade your friends. :)

I can choose my friends but not who I work with, as I said most of the mancs I met in work this morning had the same thing to say but one or two did admit they were crap all over the pitch. These are the lads I can have a decent chat to about football but some a pig igorant and just want a slagging match, but I suppose you get that from supporters of ever club.;) Carra tackle was rough, same with Rafael & Maxi, all could have been sent off, Rooney should have been sent off against Wigan, Luis should have been sent off against ye for Chelski and so on, but hey thats the game of today....... just put it to bed and on to the next one...:)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just back from Liverpool.

What a f*cking result and performance.

Suarez is something very special.

Anfield was rocking yesterday !

Get the f*** in !!

Course it was, King Kess was in the ground. ;)

Any word on Nanis injury, not been smart but how deep can a cut to the shin be? Hope he is back in action for ye soon..

I've seen the likes of Richard Dunned have staples put in his head and run back on the pitch, Daniel Agger's finger popped back into place then go back out on the pitch, things like this happen all the time. I couldn't care less if Nani plays for utd or not but its his sort who give football the "girly sport" tag which the Rugby and GAA heads love to throw at us and it pisses me off no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've seen the likes of Richard Dunned have staples put in his head and run back on the pitch, Daniel Agger's finger popped back into place then go back out on the pitch, things like this happen all the time. I couldn't care less if Nani plays for utd or not but its his sort who give football the "girly sport" tag which the Rugby and GAA heads love to throw at us and it pisses me off no end.

Like Stam getting the stitches on the side of the pitch or Momo Sissoko throwing off his protective goggles cos they were distracting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I thought the ref did very well yesterday. You'll never have total consistency across matches - we've all seen good, clean tackles punished with cards or penalties and horrific stuff go unpunished or with just a yellow. WIthout stopping for a TV replay you'll get that. But what I always want is a ref who is consistent during a match. If he gives a yellow for something minor by one side then give everyone a yellow who does the same thing. If you blow up for pushing in the box at one corner then do it every time.

The ref yesterday treated all the tackles exactly the same. Yes there are a few of them that should have been / could have been red carded but it was obvious that tempers were flaring and that the game was close to half time when the managers would be able to calm the players down. Rather than diving in like an ego driven maniac waving reds around him he stood back, watched what happened and yellow carded the worst offenders. This put people on notice (Carra was very clean through the rest of the match, for example) and there was very little aggro after half time and instead we had a good game of football, something we wouldn't have had if the teams had been down to 8 or 9 men each. A very good bit of refereeing, IMO.

And Nani and his ilk really don't do themselves any favours. If you go down as if hit with a 2*4 everytime someone tackles you then you aren't giving the ref any leeway when you really are badly tackled (and he was badly tackled). Getting up and running to the ref before collapsing again will have only reinforced the idea in teh refs head that the foul couldn't have been that bad. And there is no way he needed to be stretchered off - he had a cut shin, he could have been helped off without the AmDram. In fact he walked to the team bus without crutches and unaided after the match. Yes Carra made a horrific tackle but he was man enough to admit it and apologise in person, for which he deserves some respect. The crass overacting and looking to get other players sent off routine really is an embarrassment.

Like Stam getting the stitches on the side of the pitch or Momo Sissoko throwing off his protective goggles cos they were distracting him.

Or Alonso walking off of the pitch with a broken bone in his leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As far as I'm concerned Rafael's tackle was a retaliation to Maxi trying to snap Rafs leg in 2. Not right but I think he just got angry. Amazing that Ray Wilkins in the sky studio was the only one to properly analyse that. The Raf tackle deflected attention away from Maxi's scummy tackle (and Suarez's hair pulling)

Carragher was just dirty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liam O wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned Rafael's tackle was a retaliation to Maxi trying to snap Rafs leg in 2. Not right but I think he just got angry. Amazing that Ray Wilkins in the sky studio was the only one to properly analyse that. The Raf tackle deflected attention away from Maxi's scummy tackle (and Suarez's hair pulling)

Carragher was just dirty

Oh come on - there was no malice in Maxis tackle. It was lazy and worthy of a free kick but tried to snap a leg he did not. There was no power behind it.

Rafael and Carragher deserved reds for their tackles though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement