Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL: Liverpool v Manchester United. 6/3/2011, KO 1330.

Comments

Liam O wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned Rafael's tackle was a retaliation to Maxi trying to snap Rafs leg in 2. Not right but I think he just got angry. Amazing that Ray Wilkins in the sky studio was the only one to properly analyse that. The Raf tackle deflected attention away from Maxi's scummy tackle (and Suarez's hair pulling)

Carragher was just dirty

So its ok for a dirty tackle if its retaliation ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've seen the likes of Richard Dunned have staples put in his head and run back on the pitch, Daniel Agger's finger popped back into place then go back out on the pitch, things like this happen all the time. I couldn't care less if Nani plays for utd or not but its his sort who give football the "girly sport" tag which the Rugby and GAA heads love to throw at us and it pisses me off no end.
    He did get up and realised he couldn't walk off, he might have thought it was worse than it was, because the tackle could have easily ended his career. Either way, it's not nice to look down and see a chunk out of your leg and I seriously doubt everyone in this thread going on about girls and fairys would have sucked it up and played on :rolleyes:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So its ok for a dirty tackle if its retaliation ? :confused:
    As far as I'm concerned Rafael's tackle was a retaliation to Maxi trying to snap Rafs leg in 2. Not right but I think he just got angry. Amazing that Ray Wilkins in the sky studio was the only one to properly analyse that. The Raf tackle deflected attention away from Maxi's scummy tackle (and Suarez's hair pulling)

Carragher was just dirty
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

He did get up and realised he couldn't walk off, he might have thought it was worse than it was, because the tackle could have easily ended his career. Either way, it's not nice to look down and see a chunk out of your leg and I seriously doubt everyone in this thread going on about girls and fairys would have sucked it up and played on :rolleyes:

He was closer to the touchline than he was to the referee and he covered that distance pretty lively ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I fractured my ankle a couple of years ago. I didn't start crying. Am I super human? No, I'm just a man with a a little dignity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Carragher was just dirty

Rafael's tackle was just as filthy.

and there's no way it was a retaliation to Maxi's 'tackle'. Rafael was hell bent on getting at someone he barely felt Maxi's thigh high attempt.

it may have been retribution-filled from Carra's tackle on Nani, absolutely, but not Maxi.

none of it deflects from the fact Rafael needs to learn to calm the fúck down.

just to point out though; Meireles was the coolest mofo around for both incidents. first, talking to Nani as he was having a hissy fit on the stretcher, then dragging his own players away from the Rafael incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Carragher was just dirty

Sensationalist speculative horse manure

I fractured my ankle a couple of years ago. I didn't start crying. Am I super human? No, I'm just a man with a a little dignity.
    yeah we all agree you're hard, Nani's not. Is football your profession because you could probably get a job as a professional hard man if it's not.

He was closer to the touchline than he was to the referee and he covered that distance pretty lively ;)
    have you watched the video? He limps 5 yards max I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

His carry on week in week out warrants criticism, chunk gone out of his leg? Come on, it was hardly Saving Private Ryan material.

• Advertisement

His carry on week in week out warrants criticism, chunk gone out of his leg? Come on, it was hardly Saving Private Ryan material.
    what carry on? I'll ask for examples other than him embellishing contact that was already there maybe once or twice a month. I'm sure there'll be plenty of videos on Youtube like there there is about Gerrard and Ronaldo of Nani diving.

yeah we all agree you're hard, Nani's not. Is football your profession because you could probably get a job as a professional hard man if it's not.

Do you think I could? That'd be sweet. I have a few scores I'd like to settle. PM me your details. (tongue firmly in cheek)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

No, sorry, I was talking about the tackle by Caragher on Nani in the Liverpool against Utd game yesterday, the video is here if you haven't seen it - he covers a decent distance, stands for a while and teh commentator talks about him "sprinting". Apologies if we are talking about different incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rafael's tackle was just as filthy.

and there's no way it was a retaliation to Maxi's 'tackle'. Rafael was hell bent on getting at someone he barely felt Maxi's thigh high attempt.

it may have been retribution-filled from Carra's tackle on Nani, absolutely, but not Maxi.

none of it deflects from the fact Rafael needs to learn to calm the fúck down.

just to point out though; Meireles was the coolest mofo around for both incidents. first, talking to Nani as he was having a hissy fit on the stretcher, then dragging his own players away from the Rafael incident.

I'd say it's nigh on impossible not to be cool when your name is Raul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Do you think I could? That'd be sweet. I have a few scores I'd like to settle. PM me your details. (tongue firmly in cheek)

Kick his ass Stumpy. ;)

I'd say it's nigh on impossible not to be cool when your name is Raul.

I beg to differ.

rualyarbrough.jpg?w=241&h=241

And to think, Van Der Sar got the same punishment as Carragher :rolleyes:

I know. That was so wrong. Van Der Sar should have gotten a six match ban along with a red.:D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Kick his ass Stumpy. ;)

Ah I'm a lover not a fighter. You'll find me crying at the cinema, at babies being born, at Liverpool winning the champions league, episodes of Home and away... But never, ever after getting a little cut on my leg. I think Nani should get a 5 game ban for bringing the game into disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I agree with the gist of your post, but the bit I highlighted is open to debate. If we take Carragher at his word, then he has said in his own autobiography that he has gone out to injure or hurt other players on purpose, including one or two in training. The Rigobert Song chapter in his book highlights this.

But while I do think that it was worth a red card, then simple fact is that the ref spotted it and gave a yellow.

Not too long ago people were crying out for Rooney to be punished for his thuggish off the ball elbow. That was also a red card worthy offence in my eyes, but the ref gave a yellow, and once that happens there is eff all any supporter can do about it.

Just a little note ref gave a free kick, there was no card of any colour for Rooney

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Great reply.

Probably because your previous post was complete nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

To think Skrtel got the same as Rafael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and to think, Rooney didn't even get the same as that a week ago.

swings and roundabouts and all that.

Carragher got lucky; not sure how many more times it needs to be said.

and any attempts to defend Nani's crying and falling about really need to stop, or else i'll end up dying...

bean_laughing_hb.gif

Ffs.

Carra should have been sent off.

Rafael should have sent off.

Neither were so even steven.

Maxi should also have been booked.

It doesn't changed the fact that Liverpool were better in every department yesterday, and 3-1 actually flattered united.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Pro. F wrote: »
    What is the story with people talking about whether players made contact with the ball or not? It has no bearing on whether a tackle is worthy of red. Holy crap, how do yis not know that by now? Laws of the Game
    Even i know that and you said i don't know the game:D

Ah I'm a lover not a fighter. You'll find me crying at the cinema, at babies being born, at Liverpool winning the champions league, episodes of Home and away... But never, ever after getting a little cut on my leg. I think Nani should get a 5 game ban for bringing the game into disrepute.

Ah now, you were going fine until that bit. :D

There are two things annoying me. Mainly it is the people suggesting that a red card would not have changed the game (and what would have happened immediately after) that is annoying me. You can at least admit it would have made it an interesting second half. o

QUOTE]
    If my aunt had balls she's be my uncle.
    Who knows what would have happened?
    Maybe Liverpool might have won by more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I posted a link earlier from The Independent saying he didn't require stitches. I'm assuming they had some information to print it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can I ply this thread with alcohol so it gets locked?

• Advertisement

Ah now, you were going fine until that bit. :D

I challenge any man to hold back the tears the day Bobby was killed by that speedboat. She never seen it coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

amiable wrote: »
    There are two things annoying me. Mainly it is the people suggesting that a red card would not have changed the game (and what would have happened immediately after) that is annoying me. You can at least admit it would have made it an interesting second half. o

QUOTE]

Lol, this is completely off topic but the highlighted text reminded me of a similar line Liam Brady came out with years ago...

:pac:

Glazers Out!

I have. He limped 5 yards you say to the referee.
    Yet he was less than a yard from the touchline when tackled.
    Clutching at straws springs to mind haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I challenge any man to hold back the tears the day Bobby was killed by that speedboat. She never seen it coming.

Bobbys dead. :( I thought she moved out of town.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Bobbys dead. :( I thought she moved out of town.

grab yourself some kleenex mate. Let it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

nullzero wrote: »

Lol, this is completely off topic but the highlighted text reminded me of a similar line Liam Brady came out with years ago...

:pac:

Jesus, what an ignorant, bitter man Brady looked like there.

He dosen't come across at that now, the Rte panel must have gave him a sense of perspective.:pac:

• Advertisement

He dosen't come across at that now, the Rte panel must have gave him a sense of perspective.:pac:
    Brady has always been like that.
    I know a lad who was at Arsenal under age said he was very contrary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ah in fairness there was a touch of that reaction the night Arsenal were knocked out the CL a few years back and Eamo was trolling about Arsene being like John Cleese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

That would be funnier had I not posted this a few hours ago.

Liverpool fans should be aware that a half time lead is not necessarily a guarantee of a full time lead. If it was 10 v 11, it would have been a different game and one goal would have put Liverpool under pressure. I know if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, but nonetheless it is a legitimate point that it would have been a difficult task to hold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

I beg to differ.

rualyarbrough.jpg?w=241&h=241

what are you talking about,

that guy is awesome

101001 wrote: »
    So, you are making the argument that if Carragher got a red card Rafael essentially wouldnt.... You are making an excuse for Rafael. He is somehow not responsible for his actions because Carragher has taken away his ability to make a decision? The if's of a matter only try to excuse an action. In a genuine discussion about culpability and responsibilty for an action ifs and buts should not occur

Both players acted in a stupid manner. Both made the wrong decision. And in a situation like this Rafaels actions need to be looked at as well. He is a young player who has made similar tackles in the past. I hope that the staff at Man Utd are not treating the situation as lightly as the folks on here. I would hate to see a player with obvious skill think that a tackle like that on Lucas is acceptable. Aggression is good for anyones game as long as it is directed properly.

No you are missing the point, were Carragher sent off, the Rafael incident would not have happened. I have said that approx. 50 times in this thread. Seemingly understanding that something different happening may lead to something else that is different happening is beyond comprehension. I'm not saying he would not have put in a tackle in some other incident, I'm just saying that that tackle would not have happened. Read any of the many posts I have made about this point today for further clarification on my thoughts.

I have not once attempted to condone what Rafael did. I have called him hot-headed and I don't trust him in bigger games. He has done this many times. It could be argued United would have beaten Bayern Munich had Rafael not been such a hot head and got sent off. Nobody is treating the incident lightly. However, what we have continually said is that had the referee send off Carragher, the incident would not have occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

circles.png

No you are missing the point, were Carragher sent off, the Rafael incident would not have happened. I have said that approx. 50 times in this thread. Seemingly understanding that something different happening may lead to something else that is different happening is beyond comprehension. I'm not saying he would not have put in a tackle in some other incident, I'm just saying that that tackle would not have happened. Read any of the many posts I have made about this point today for further clarification on my thoughts.

I have not once attempted to condone what Rafael did. I have called him hot-headed and I don't trust him in bigger games. He has done this many times. It could be argued United would have beaten Bayern Munich had Rafael not been such a hot head and got sent off. Nobody is treating the incident lightly. However, what we have continually said is that had the referee send off Carragher, the incident would not have occurred.

If United played better over the course of the 90 mins they might have got something out of the game. Thats the big if. Liverpool are as adept as any at holding onto a lead with 10 men. in fact I cant remember the last time they let a lead slip while being a man down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

If United played better over the course of the 90 mins they might have got something out of the game. Thats the big if. Liverpool are as adept as any at holding onto a lead with 10 men. in fact I cant remember the last time they let a lead slip while being a man down.

Unfortunately the first game of the season springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Look you can throw any argument at it you like.

The fact is that the odds would have been greater on Liverpool winning if Carragher had been sent off and the Rafael tackle would not have happend. Yes, maybe Liverpool would have still won and maybe Rafael would have got sent off for something else, but that dosen't take away from the fact the the odds would have been greater for Liverpool to win if Carragher was sent off. If all of you could just agree that Liverpool were handed an advantage by virtue of Carragher staying on the pitch, then this would be done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Either way, it's not nice to look down and see a chunk out of your leg and I seriously doubt everyone in this thread going on about girls and fairys would have sucked it up and played on :rolleyes:

There wasn't a chunk out of his leg. You're basing this on one easily faked photo.

We can't know fully how badly he was injured. But it's reasonable to assume that any normal sports person with even a passable level of self respect wouldn't have acted like Nani did yesterday or has done on many occasions in the past. It's also reasonable to assume that somebody who so frequently feigns injury would not have a very high pain tolerance.
    The ref yesterday treated all the tackles exactly the same. Yes there are a few of them that should have been / could have been red carded but it was obvious that tempers were flaring and that the game was close to half time when the managers would be able to calm the players down. Rather than diving in like an ego driven maniac waving reds around him he stood back, watched what happened and yellow carded the worst offenders. This put people on notice (Carra was very clean through the rest of the match, for example) and there was very little aggro after half time and instead we had a good game of football, something we wouldn't have had if the teams had been down to 8 or 9 men each. A very good bit of refereeing, IMO

Have to disagree with this. It was bad refereeing yesterday. Sure that particular game benefited from keeping everybody on the pitch, but the sport in general suffers when players like Carragher and Rafael get away with those sorts of tackles.
    Or Alonso walking off of the pitch with a broken bone in his leg.

Or Fabregas taking a penalty against Barca with a broken leg (iirc)

Nobody said it would happen, I have said numerous times NOBODY knows what would have happened. I've given my opinion that I thought Liverpool would have held out. But it is not the craziest thing imaginable for a team with 10 men to let in two goals in 45 minutes. Plus United have came back from 2 goals down away from home twice this season. As any football fan should know, it only takes one goal to make a team nervous. As it was, United still had chances to make it 2-1 such as the Hernandez chance.

Last Tuesday proved you don't have to play well in the first half to get a draw or a win. All you need is to up your game and get the necessary breaks to get back in the game.

Look you can throw any argument at it you like.

The fact is that the odds would have been greater on Liverpool winning if Carragher had been sent off and the Rafael tackle would not have happend. Yes, maybe Liverpool would have still won and maybe Rafael would have got sent off for something else, but that dosen't take away from the fact the the odds would have been greater for Liverpool to win if Carragher was sent off. If all of you could just agree that Liverpool were handed an advantage by virtue of Carragher staying on the pitch, then this would be done and dusted.

Of course, it was a huge advantage that Carragher stayed on, that said I don't think it was the key to the game. Liverpool were already 2-0 up and by and large kept United to a couple of half chances.

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the first game of the season springs to mind.

Ah, I'd forgotten that one. Why do you have to show me up in public?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If Rooney's shot had gone in, instead of hitting the post, it would have been a different game. Carra tackle would never have happened and there'd be no excuses at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Nani was so injured that he was able to get up immediately, run over to confront Gerrard, then do a dive. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement