Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL: Liverpool v Manchester United. 6/3/2011, KO 1330.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

That would be funnier had I not posted this a few hours ago.
    Well in fairness there's over 2000 posts in this thread and i don't have time to read everyone.
    Also i wasn't trying to be funny.
    Just trying to make a point.
    Sorry for stealing your thunder:D

Liam O is going to come back in a while with a comment like i can't believ you all feel for this a bit like his comment last night on United spending 500 million this summer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not sure if its been said yet but why wasn't Nani wearing a shin guard?

flahavaj wrote: »
    He definitely was wearing shin guards
    If you get a chance to see it again you'll see him pull the pad out shortly after the tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

If Carragher had been sent off, the Rafael incident literally could not have occurred. You are aware that changing any event in the game means that what followed could not then happen? We don't know what would have happened. It is odd that such a basic fact has to be continually re-stated.

So what your saying is that had that Palace fan not play acted to get Cantona banned for a few months, Utd would have won yesterday?

Obviously had Carra gone, things may have turned out different, but still think Liverpool would have got a result. Look at the FA cup game, Utd couldnt break them down after Gerrard went
    Liam O wrote: »
    the tackle could have easily ended his career.

And Glen Johnson could have ended up worse then Petr Cech. But neither happened, get over it

Manchester-Uniteds-Nani-005.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

He was, threw it off in the immediate aftermath of the tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

AL-n-Ziggy.jpg

"Cara, Ziggy says if you get sent off, Michael Carrick starts to run amok setting up goals, left, right and center, Fergie brings on Darren Gibson, and you're not there to block any of his eighty nine shots from outside the box and The Pool lose 7-2"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LOL at this thread. Still talking about Carragher :D

You have to hand it to the Utd fans. They've done well using the incident to distract the thread from the hiding that was dished out!

Utd fan : Carragher should have been sent off

Liverpool fan: I know

Utd fan: But he wasn't. He should have been.

Liverpool fan: I agree. A definite sending off offense.

Utd fan: But he should have been sent off.

Liverpool fan: Yeah i know. So should Rafael.

Utd fan :No, Carragher did it first. Rafael would never have tackled like that. It was Carragher's fault. You're deluded if you don't think Carragher should have been sent off.

Liverpool fan: Carragher should have been sent off.

Utd fan: But he wasn't. He should have been.

Liverpool fan: I concur, he should have seen red.

Utd fan: It was a horrific tackle. He should have been sent off.

Liverpool fan: Definitely. He should have been sent off.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    He definitely was wearing shin guards
    If you get a chance to see it again you'll see him pull the pad out shortly after the tackle.

Heh I was only joking, I re read the last 20 pages and the wmount of times thats asked and answered is gas. Thread is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Heh I was only joking, I re read the last 20 pages and the wmount of times thats asked and answered is gas. Thread is amazing.

I thought you were taking the piss alright. Does anyone think Carragher should have been sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

tommyhaas wrote: »
    So what your saying is that had that Palace fan not play acted to get Cantona banned for a few months, Utd would have won yesterday?

Obviously had Carra gone, things may have turned out different, but still think Liverpool would have got a result. Look at the FA cup game, Utd couldnt break them down after Gerrard went

And Glen Johnson could have ended up worse then Petr Cech. But neither happened, get over it

Manchester-Uniteds-Nani-005.jpg

Jeez, Nani is sure good at swinging those legs way up into the air.......Coulda been a gymnast if the football hadn't worked out for him:D

I thought you were taking the piss alright. Does anyone think Carragher should have been sent off?

No, it was a fair tackle.

/runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Jeez, Nani is sure good at swinging those legs way up into the air.......Coulda been a gymnast if the football hadn't worked out for him:D

I can think of another Olympic sports more suited to his abilities :p

I can think of another Olympic sports more suited to his abilities :p

Surely it can't be diving cos Nani doesn't do that y'know so it must be speed walking based on how fast he "hobbled" over to the ref;)

• Advertisement

I bet he'd pass the Olympic drugs test anyway....;)

I bet he'd pass the Olympic drugs test anyway....;)

Haha, good one:p

Taken in the good spirit in which I'm sure it was given Flah;)

Hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Nobody said it would happen, I have said numerous times NOBODY knows what would have happened. I've given my opinion that I thought Liverpool would have held out. But it is not the craziest thing imaginable for a team with 10 men to let in two goals in 45 minutes. Plus United have came back from 2 goals down away from home twice this season. As any football fan should know, it only takes one goal to make a team nervous. As it was, United still had chances to make it 2-1 such as the Hernandez chance.

Last Tuesday proved you don't have to play well in the first half to get a draw or a win. All you need is to up your game and get the necessary breaks to get back in the game.

hmmnn

yet you do know what wouldnt have happened
    No you are missing the point, were Carragher sent off, the Rafael incident would not have happened. I have said that approx. 50 times in this thread. Seemingly understanding that something different happening may lead to something else that is different happening is beyond comprehension. I'm not saying he would not have put in a tackle in some other incident, I'm just saying that that tackle would not have happened. Read any of the many posts I have made about this point today for further clarification on my thoughts.

I have not once attempted to condone what Rafael did. I have called him hot-headed and I don't trust him in bigger games. He has done this many times. It could be argued United would have beaten Bayern Munich had Rafael not been such a hot head and got sent off. Nobody is treating the incident lightly. However, what we have continually said is that had the referee send off Carragher, the incident would not have occurred.

in reality neither you, nor I, nor the man on the moon have a baldys if rafael would or wouldnt have been sent off.

maybe the exact same thing would have happened, who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

was just watching the phone in on lfc tv

the lads spent a good two minutes laughing at nani crying, it still makes me smile. They were talking about the injuries they have seen that were tear free.

anyone remember cisse crying? or aaron ramsey? or eduardo?

naw, gallas cried though, him and nani should meet up and spoon :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Are ye still at this?
    Here's the summary...
    United were ****e. People hate Nani unless United supporter. People fail to recognise red card tackles. People get upset when a certain poster posts as much sh1te as the next guy.
    Have I forgotten something?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Are ye still at this?
    Here's the summary...
    United were ****e. People hate Nani unless United supporter. People fail to recognise red card tackles. People get upset when a certain poster posts as much sh1te as the next guy.
    Have I forgotten something?

Pics

Apart from that, fairly spot on!:D

Jesus, I just saw the tackle now. That should have been a red card.

AAAAAAHHHH, but which tackle?

Both.

3-1.

I think Carragher was lucky to stay on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Honest fans of both clubs will acknowledge the facts about the game......

1) Carra should have gone,reckless tackle
    2)Rafa should have gone also,intent of a reckless tackle
    3)Liverpool played really well
    4)United were piss poor,midfield plus forward line,Smalling,VDS were exceptions

These are plain old facts,cannot be argued.....

Shut this thread down as it is going round and round............

I think Carragher was lucky to stay on

YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT RAFAEL, LIKE?!!!!!!

Grayditch wrote: »
    YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT RAFAEL, LIKE?!!!!!!
    Well he got his hair pulled and thrown around like a rag doll.
    Looked really tough when he was being held back.
    A bit like Scrappy doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

jethro081 wrote: »
    was just watching the phone in on lfc tv

the lads spent a good two minutes laughing at nani crying, it still makes me smile. They were talking about the injuries they have seen that were tear free.

anyone remember cisse crying? or aaron ramsey? or eduardo?

naw, gallas cried though, him and nani should meet up and spoon :p

I saw John Terry in floods of tears once. can't recall the circumstances though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I saw John Terry in floods of tears once. can't recall the circumstances though.

He fell on his arse.............:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

I cannot believe that Carrick got a new contract last week.

This is a absolute disgrace. He was shocking out there yesterday. Another shocker after Marsallie and Chelsea.

I cannot believe this clown got another contract.

Surely people cannot defend him again??

I for one have had enough of this boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

in 2 posts time this thread will hit 2184 posts and thus defeat the France Vs Rep Ireland world cup qualifier thread... That is how culturally relevant Nani's injury, or as Im tentatively calling it BooBoo, has become.

That is truly something to be proud of.... Could it go as far as the Barry to Liverpool debacle, now that would be something.

Maybe even the longest thread outside a superthread... dare we dream...?

dedon wrote: »

This is a absolute disgrace. He was shocking out there yesterday. Another shocker after Marsallie and Chelsea.

Delighted when I seen his name on the teamsheet yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dedon wrote: »

No you see at Manchester Utd we don't bow down to the modern day football fan and make hasty decisions.

We actually have the decency of not judging our players or our managers over a relatively short period of poor form. We like to look at the whole picture. We like to acknowledge the role that Carrick played in our three Pl title wins, our 2 champions league final appearances and the fact that we are top of the PL again this season. We also acknowledge the fact that he's only 29 and has time on his side to rediscover his form.

This is why we have won so much over the last 20 years and why we are not like a Newcastle Utd soap opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A) I have made the exact same point you make in you second paragraph about half a dozen times in the thread.

B) There is no need to be facetious. I'm making a simple point. The wildly divergent replies ranging from the idea that the game would have carried on the same to those that ignore 90% of what I'm actually saying keep this topic going.

Basically the discussion should just go like this:

Fan 1: Liverpool deserved to win
    Fan 2 : Yeah they played far better, took their chances when they came
    Fan 1: That being said Carragher should have been sent off.
    Fan 2: Yeah he should alright, would have given Liverpool a problem
    Fan 1: Yeah it would. United still would have had a mountain to climb, but it only takes on goal to change things.
    Fan 2: True. Just look at last Tuesday
    Fan 1: Still, United weren't able to take their chances. Liverpool did.

And that basically sums up the game. It doesn't mean there has been some major shift in the world. It doesn't mean United are falling apart. It doesn't mean that Kenny písses the cure for Cancer. It just means Liverpool played well, United didn't and Liverpool won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

This is why we have won so much over the last 20 years and why we are not like a Newcastle Utd soap opera.

No it's not, ye've been blessed with world class midfielders like Scholes and Keane for a fair bit of that 20 years.

Keeping on mediocre players like Carrick has very little to do with it tbh.

Also, this should be in the United thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Essien wrote: »
    No it's not, ye've been blessed with world class midfielders like Scholes and Keane for a fair bit of that 20 years.

Well there is something to be said for consistency and not making knee-jerk reactions. You obviously need the players, but football is littered with great players and potentially great teams who won nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Victory goes to me. ;)

Edit; ah Shiite .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Essien wrote: »

No the fact we didn't sack Fergie after a couple of dry spells underpins the mentality of loyalty at the club. We don't ship out players/managers after a few bad performances especially if they have proven themselves already.

The fact we don't chop and change like other clubs has contributed greatly towards our success.

And keeping Carrick is another example of this mentality IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jaykay74 wrote: »

His best friends wife said she didnt want to ride the JT rollercoaster . . He doesnt take rejection well ! !

• Advertisement

No the fact we didn't sack Fergie after a couple of dry spells underpins the mentality of loyalty at the club. We don't ship out players/managers after a few bad performances especially if they have proven themselves already.

The fact we don't chop and change like other clubs has contributed greatly towards our success.

And keeping Carrick is another example of this mentality IMO.
    In fairness I'd be worried if i was a United fan and Carrick being signed up on a new contract.
    He's not good enough IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

as charlie sheen put it "WINNING"

In fairness I'd be worried if i was a United fan and Carrick being signed up on a new contract.
    He's not good enough IMO

I'd be worried if you were a Utd fan too tbh.

We have standards.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

So the end result is that liverpool supporters think

Nani is a diver but gerrard is a leader

Rooney is a ****bag but carroll is a misunderstood gentleman

Rooney should have got a long ban for an elbow but carragher should get no more punishment because he apologised

And that winning against a poor united team(who gave them 2 goals on a plate) proves that kenny is indeed KING:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

We don't ship out players/managers after a few bad performances especially if they have proven themselves already.

Carrick has done little to impress at United and most fans can admit that. He's been there for a long time now so you would expect him to have really done the business by now and he's not getting any younger.

colly10 wrote: »
    Carrick has done little to impress at United and most fans can admit that. He's been there for a long time now so you would expect him to have really done the business by now and he's not getting any younger.

He more than proved himself from 06 - 09.

He has failed to match that the last couple of years but I put that down to a change of role with Hargo being injured as much as anything.

• Advertisement

Rooney should have got a long ban for an elbow but carragher should get no more punishment because he apologised

And that winning against a poor united team(who gave them 2 goals on a plate) proves that kenny is indeed KING:rolleyes:

Dont forget that Fergie should be banned for not talking to the press (as if fans actually care!) . .

Fergie should be banned for defending his player publically (but its ok for Dalglish to paper over the Carragher tackle) .

And United only ever get the dodgy decisions that benefit them overall. Had Smalling/Brown done the Nani tackle on a Liverpool player, it wouldnt of mattered if a Liverpool player might of been sent off later on, the argument would of been that the later incident wouldnt of happened had the ref done their job . . You just cannot win when arguing with bitter hypocrites . .

The most important thing for me was that United were poor , didnt deserve to win and showed no fight when they were up against it . . The only bitterness I have from yesterdays result was that my team sucked donkey nuts big time . . Liverpool did us a favour by showing the muppet owners that you cant keep relying on Fergies talent to drain every last ounce of limited ability from an average squad.

The first few paragraphs of this post is simply to highlight the pettiness and hypocrisy that Pool fans tend to get up to when the roles are reversed . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Nani is far worse of a diver than Gerrard, Rooney and Gerrard both take the odd dive but Nani takes the piss, he's probably the worst in the prem, take the goggles off would ye :rolleyes:

And for the record, it's not bias from me, I can admit that Suarez will probably turn out to be as much of a diver or at least close to Nani

Rooney, Rafa and Carra should be banned, it's not going to happen though. If Carra deserves to be banned so does Rafa so I don't see how anyone can feel hard done by

We were in a relegation battle when Kenny took over, he has turned our form around and with the exception of 1 or 2 games we have done much better since he took over, he deserves credit for that

He more than proved himself from 06 - 09.

He has failed to match that the last couple of years but I put that down to a change of role with Hargo being injured as much as anything.

Its easier to prove yourself with the likes of Ronaldo, tevez and a performing Rooney in a team. In times like this when your team are struggling you find out players with character and the players who have been able to hide behind the match winning performance of others with below par performances.

Carrick has never been anything more then above average, tidy player. Not an exceptional tackler, passer or scorer, he has been a player that has done enough in the past not to be noticed (mistakes) but done little to deserve any special praise.

I have been saying it for over a year (not just recently) that Carrick has and never will be the kind of player you can afford when things are not going well in a game.

Can anybody pick out a handfull of exceptional performances from Carrick in his time at United ?

And the bitter post award goes to....^^^^^^

colly10 wrote: »
    Nani is far worse of a diver than Gerrard, Rooney and Gerrard both take the odd dive but Nani takes the piss, he's probably the worst in the prem, take the goggles off would ye :rolleyes:

And for the record, it's not bias from me, I can admit that Suarez will probably turn out to be as much of a diver or at least close to Nani

Rooney, Rafa and Carra should be banned, it's not going to happen though. If Carra deserves to be banned so does Rafa so I don't see how anyone can feel hard done by

We were in a relegation battle when Kenny took over, he has turned our form around and with the exception of 1 or 2 games we have done much better since he took over, he deserves credit for that

You were as close to 4th pointswise as you were to 18th when King kenny took over. Dont conveniently forget that my friend. . Also, Hodgson had a misfiring Torres, not a good looking Suarez. Oh and Kenny has always had Liverpool fans support, there would of been riots had Pool lost 3-0 to West Ham under Hodsons reign even if he was in the exact same position. I dont really care but Liverpool never gave Hodgson the kind of support that they usually give their managers.

Doesnt matter if Nani is a diver or not, Carragher was a disgrace.

What is hilarious is that not only did Carragher get away with it, but Maxi nearly kneecapped rafa just before his high tackle. Again, I am sure that Liverpool fans would be just as understanding had united players tried to assualt Pool players in the same manner . .

I dont condone Rafa's tackle, but had the ref given Carragher a red or blown up for Maxi's tackle then Rafa wouldnt of lost the rag. It Doesnt excuse it, but it certainly backs up the point that if the ref does his job properly we dont end up speaking in hypothetics and poor old Pool fans dont have to pick and choose when certain ref decisions are worth ranting about depending on whether or not it suits their predudice towards all things United. .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement