Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M4 -> M6 Junction signage improvements

Options
  • 05-03-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

First time don west for a while tonight. The M4 has improved signage for the M4/M6 diverge; with advanced signage at 4 and 2km for the M6 Galway, Athlone & Tullamore signed.
    I think the 2km advanced signage for Kinnegad is removed. There is now a gantry approaching the eastern Kinnegad exit showing a down arrow over the exit, two down arrows for the M4 Mainline and panel above the mainline driving lane with an arrow at ten o'cock for the M6

There are also two double junction ads' for here showing Kinnegad and M6 separated by 500m.

Ya have to wonder why this wasn't done on road opening, especially the double fork ads.

When the upturn comes I'd be lookin for a third lane for the diverges to Kinnegad and M6. We can live in hope....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

First time don west for a while tonight. The M4 has improved signage for the M4/M6 diverge; with advanced signage at 4 and 2km for the M6 Galway, Athlone & Tullamore signed.
    I think the 2km advanced signage for Kinnegad is removed. There is now a gantry approaching the eastern Kinnegad exit showing a down arrow over the exit, two down arrows for the M4 Mainline and panel above the mainline driving lane with an arrow at ten o'cock for the M6

There are also two double junction ads' for here showing Kinnegad and M6 separated by 500m.

Ya have to wonder why this wasn't done on road opening, especially the double fork ads.

When the upturn comes I'd be lookin for a third lane for the diverges to Kinnegad and M6. We can live in hope....

I think the furthest that 3-lanes could possibly go is Kilcock and that's sorta pushing it (Maynooth might be all they could do)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

I took the M4 down from Dublin a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that there's an advance junction sign posted on a new gantry 100-200-odd metres before a road overbridge. Has the NRA no policy on using bridges as gantries where possible? I read a new NRA signage guide recently and it seemed to be all about visual-impact miminisation (like fixing signs to the sides of roadside buildings and/or in front of vegetation where possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

SeanW wrote: »
    I took the M4 down from Dublin a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that there's an advance junction sign posted on a new gantry 100-200-odd metres before a road overbridge. Has the NRA no policy on using bridges as gantries where possible? I read a new NRA signage guide recently and it seemed to be all about visual-impact miminisation (like fixing signs to the sides of roadside buildings and/or in front of vegetation where possible).

I can only assume using a road bridge may leave the signs open to vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

dubhthach wrote: »
    I think the furthest that 3-lanes could possibly go is Kilcock and that's sorta pushing it (Maynooth might be all they could do)

Cant see it ever getting that busy beyond Maynooth TBH. Commuters wont wanna pay such high fuel prices in future either. Leixlip (at a push) is the furthest id commute from TBH. Beyond Cellbridge is borderline madness - you could rent in city for cheaper than the diff in fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Cant see it ever getting that busy beyond Maynooth TBH. Commuters wont wanna pay such high fuel prices in future either. Leixlip (at a push) is the furthest id commute from TBH. Beyond Cellbridge is borderline madness - you could rent in city for cheaper than the diff in fuel

True enough of course that proposition is based on fuel prices always going up, or that cars always depend on oil, awh if only Hydrogen prices would come down ;)

Though on a more serious note, in the early 19th century it wasn't viable to use oil byproducts for heating/lighting due to cost of producing it (extraction/storage/transport). It was cheaper to just go out and hunt whales and use "whale-oil", then suddenly oil was struck in Pennsylvania and you had suddenly a cheap supply of crude-oil. It knocked the whale oil business for six. No doubt there were people saying that "Peak Whale-oil" was around the corner who ended up eating crow when the industry switched to a new paradigm. -- What i'm trying to say is it's foolish to use current oil prices to extrapolate wether we will be driving in 50 years or riding bicycles to get everywhere :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

One small and simple improvement would be to add a (n52) section to the M6 junctions at Kilbeggan and Tyrrellspass. At present, going west there's only a N52 sign to the exit and a M6 striaght on, you have to take the exit to see that Tulamore is back up on the mainline.

Same thing going east at Kilbeggan.

THere should be a sign for Tullamore (N52) and
    Mullingar(N52) going 'tother way.

I'd even go as far as saying there should be a Dundalk and Nenagh signage or some other intermediate route past Tullamore and Mullingar signed to give a better sense of direction.

Advertisement