Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic Shyness

Options
  • 05-03-2011 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but don't know where it should be. Two men in my family suffer from chronic shyness to the point that they can't face speaking to strangers. GPs have been less than useless. It has an adverse effect on the rest of the family too as we have to support them so much. Anyone know what kind of professional would deal with this. They refuse to go to a counsellor. I'm at my wits end.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

There is not much you can do really. I was very shy for a long time but found volunteering a great way to meet people and make friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

There is nothing wrong with shyness, some people are naturally introverted and people should not be trying to change them. A doctor or counsellor can do nothing for shyness unless its caused because of social anxiety or something similar. Some people are naturally shy and unless it prevents htem from functioning it should not be a problem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

biomed32 wrote: »
    There is not much you can do really. I was very shy for a long time...

Actually the psychosocial approach is very effective. See here. Lots of information available on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

MUSEIST wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with shyness, some people are naturally introverted and people should not be trying to change them. A doctor or counsellor can do nothing for shyness unless its caused because of social anxiety or something similar. Some people are naturally shy and unless it prevents htem from functioning it should not be a problem imo.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with shyness and I am not trying to make them change. I am just trying to help them overcome some their shyness so they will at least answer a doorbell or a telephone. This is actually crippling them. I feel at this stage, the more we support them, the less they want to help themselves. One of the men can't apply for jobs because he can't face an interview situation.

Advertisement