Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newborn pups not sucking great

• 05-03-2011 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Hi my st. bernard had five pups yesterday . They aren't latching on to the teats very well . They all have sucked but i think they are getting worse at finding the teat . Should i just leave them at it for awhile and see what happens ? I never had a bitch before not to mind one that was in pup so all advice will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance for any replies .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you're worried at all about the pups I'd go down to your vet to get a can of puppy replacement milk to have on hand before the vets shut for the weekend. That way if you're still worried about them this afternoon then you can supplement them with milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to try and help them and make sure they are sucking. The first first few days are critical for pups.

You need to supervise her too all the time so she doesnt lie on the pups and kill them which is very common in larger breeds so make sure you stay with her as much as you can.

I would call your vet and get some expert advice too. You might need to get some milk replacer as Toomanydogs said. You need to act fast as pups can go downhill within hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish pavee

gave thim a tat and bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

gave thim a tit and boltel

Huh??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish pavee

andreac wrote: »
    Huh??:confused:

we used to do this years ago in camps when the mother was sick
    you have to put the bottle in his mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mel94

First of all you have to make sure the bitch has milk! Do this by squeezing the teath..... Are the puppies intrested in the bitch?

You should bring them all to your Vet for a check up (Both the mother and her puppies!)

The Vet can give you a milk replacement (the Royal Canin one is very good) With Saint Bernards you should be taking the pups away from the mother after they have fed, And bring them back to her for a feed every 2 hours at this stage, as if you leave them with the mother they she could roll over and squash them..... There is some really really good sites out there that can give you lots of information!!!

I hope they start feeding for you and everything goes smoothly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thanks for all the replies .I have given them all some milk relacer .They all seem full in their bellies. When they are with her they seem to be crawling all over her belly as if they are looking for the teats but only the odd one latches on even if i help them . Is this normal ?Maybe they are all getting enough this way without me noticing . I called the vet and he is going to drop in later but he said not to worry too much if they feel full and dont look weak . They are all asleep now not a peep out of her so hopefully they will be sound . Thanks for all the replies its really appreciated

Advertisement