Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy CFL bulbs?

• 05-03-2011 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'd like to replace all of the bulbs in my house with CFL equivalents (ideally of 100w output variety). Does anyone know a good place to buy these cheap? Maybe a box of 4 or more together?

-Bel

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have a look in B&Q,their own brand bulbs come 4 to a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Belnavar wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to replace all of the bulbs in my house with CFL equivalents (ideally of 100w output variety). Does anyone know a good place to buy these cheap? Maybe a box of 4 or more together?

-Bel

Approx 1 euro 30- 1 euro 70 cents cents for a 100W equivelent 20W CFL bulb in any decent electrical wholesalers.;)

You can also buy Sparsam (Ikea) CFL bulbs in Ikea for feck all money too,and they are very good too.

Have a few in the house,and some of them are dimmable CFL bulbs too.:)

Pic showing floor light on the right side,dimmed by 50% with Sparsam CFL bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

tesco up north 10p each

hop2it wrote: »
    tesco up north 10p each

Bought a good few of them over in Tesco in the UK,when staying there for a while.

3 out of the 5 CFL,s popped within a week of instalation.:mad:

Cheap,yeah,but also shyte too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Woodies do Philips brand (I think) fairly cheap, think it was 5 for 5euro last time i looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think CFLs are a bit of a con and don't save money. I have tried a few and they have not lasted even as long as an incandescent in some cases, so there goes any potential saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sparky20203

If you know anyone who lives in the UK, they are given them by the government. We have a load of them that we were given. Not one of them has blown since they were put in nearly two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

hop2it wrote: »
    tesco up north 10p each

Not any more.

The subsidised light bulbs have been discontinued , probably because of the austerity cuts...they are back to normal prices again.

I was in tesco in England 2 weeks ago, and i saw a sign explaining this.

Maybe it's different in NI, I can only speak for England.

Woodies have a deal at the moment

5 Philips CFL 8w (40w) or 11w (60w) bulbs for 5 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement