Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just when you least expect it.

Options
  • 05-03-2011 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

as some of ye might know i posed the question a while back about the most versatile light deer cal.

well it had slipped my mind for a while but i was in the gun dealer last night and he showed me a sako 75 that he had owned and sold to someone.

not looked after would put it mild. he showed me a group he shot with it to see how it was working, and at 50y it was like a shotgun pattern.

as we spoke about it i said that would make a lovely donor for a project i had in mind.

a .243 with a sako action and a medium weight sporter barrel 20" long a light mod and a thumb hole laminate shock.

any suggestions on a barrel would be appreciated, i dont want a heave nor do i want a light sporter. something in between.

just to throw a spanner in the works he showed me a sako 75 with a Mc'Millen stock in 25 06, it just felt lovely. i'd swear they used my hands as a template for the stock it felt that good.

what to do:rolleyes::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

;)
    poulo6.5 wrote: »
    as some of ye might know i posed the question a while back about the most versatile light deer cal.

well it had slipped my mind for a while but i was in the gun dealer last night and he showed me a sako 75 that he had owned and sold to someone.

not looked after would put it mild. he showed me a group he shot with it to see how it was working, and at 50y it was like a shotgun pattern.

as we spoke about it i said that would make a lovely donor for a project i had in mind.

a .243 with a sako action and a medium weight sporter barrel 20" long a light mod and a thumb hole laminate shock.

any suggestions on a barrel would be appreciated, i dont want a heave nor do i want a light sporter. something in between.

just to throw a spanner in the works he showed me a sako 75 with a Mc'Millen stock in 25 06, it just felt lovely. i'd swear they used my hands as a template for the stock it felt that good.

what to do:rolleyes::confused:

Rebarrel her 6XC and she would be all things to you!! Perfect Donor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Which McMillan stock was it? That sounds like a really nice project for you. Going with a 20" barrel you can put a bit more meat in it, especially with a lightweight mod. That bit of stiffness will give you a chance to do some long range crow blasting or whatever you like. .25-06 is awesome too, and would fulfill your requirements brilliantly. Hard to go wrong either way really. If you've already got a nice stock on it and it shoots well, call it a project, do the bedding yourself and you're good to go. I'd love a .25-06 with a full length lightweight barrel in a super lightweight stock. Keep it really light, blow stuff up at long range, great for tougher hill stalking too, and light recoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just a small tip don't say where that Sako is 'cos it will be snaped up. Nice action to use as a donar for a customm job. Talk to Dwighet tomorrow about his custom 300WM it started of with just the stock as a donar.

Nice thing about a Sako action is that, when you're talking about a custom build, chances are it won't need any work in terms of blueprinting or trigger jobs (and the trigger is easily adjusted by yourself) so you can save a few hundred's worth of gunsmithing costs there. They're not light guns, but they are exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

clivej wrote: »
    Just a small tip don't say where that Sako is 'cos it will be snaped up. Nice action to use as a donar for a customm job. Talk to Dwighet tomorrow about his custom 300WM it started of with just the stock as a donar.

you will notice i left out which dealer:D:D:D.

iwm he has 2 rifles. one is a .243 which would be the donor.

the other is the .25-06 with the stock. not sure which stock it is i just know i like it. if was to go for this one i wouldnt do anything to it as it feels just right the way it is.

• Advertisement

you will notice i left out which dealer:D:D:D.

iwm he has 2 rifles. one is a .243 which would be the donor.

the other is the .25-06 with the stock. not sure which stock it is i just know i like it. if was to go for this one i wouldnt do anything to it as it feels just right the way it is.

Sounds sweet. The .25-06 is just as good an all rounder as the .243 for a light gun, so if that's right and ready to go, you couldn't go wrong.

Sounds sweet. The .25-06 is just as good an all rounder as the .243 for a light gun, so if that's right and ready to go, you couldn't go wrong.

ya but i still like the idea of a semi custom job of my own.

i have never fired a 25-06 so i dont know anything about them except what i read.

ya but i still like the idea of a semi custom job of my own.

i have never fired a 25-06 so i dont know anything about them except what i read.

More than welcome to have a look over mine sometime. It's a 75 Hunter, so probably comparable enough for you. Much louder than most things, little bit more kick than a 6.5x55, but very little. The idea of building things to spec is a lot of fun alright. Would love to build a super lightweight .25-06 with a long barrel sometime, turn the heavier Sako into a 9.3x62 or a .300 win mag or something, take advantage of the weight.

I have just doe the deal with the action ( it's a sako 591 not a 75 ) but that makes no difference according to Fergal White. Sorry clive.

I will sand down and finish the stock my self. And Fergal will true the action and fit a barrel.

I think I will go for a medium weight barrel 24" long.

I will hope to use it with light rounds 75gr-80gr ish.
    What twist rate is best for light weight bullets

That sounds great poulo. Let us have a look as things go along. That old 591 action has a superb reputation. If I recall correctly you can adjust the trigger even more delicately than on the 75 (Though obviously you have to pay more attention to sear engagement then, bump testing and such). Should be a beauty.

• Advertisement

I have just doe the deal with the action ( it's a sako 591 not a 75 ) but that makes no difference according to Fergal White. Sorry clive.

I will sand down and finish the stock my self. And Fergal will true the action and fit a barrel.

I think I will go for a medium weight barrel 24" long.

I will hope to use it with light rounds 75gr-80gr ish.
    What twist rate is best for light weight bullets

Can't wait to have it out foxing :D
    According top Snipers Hide 1/9 is best for 90grain MAX weight rounds.

If you are not going over 80 grain 1/8 or 1/7.5

Is it going to be a super foxer? If so I'd use the middle ground and go 1/8 myself.
    If you want it for deer and foxes I'd go 1/9

Hard one to call, as a load of the data is not on Factory ammo. I had teh same problems when trying to choose a twist for my .223
    (hopefully I made the right one :pac:)

Can't wait to have it out foxing :D
    According top Snipers Hide 1/9 is best for 90grain MAX weight rounds.

If you are not going over 80 grain 1/8 or 1/7.5

Is it going to be a super foxer? If so I'd use the middle ground and go 1/8 myself.
    If you want it for deer and foxes I'd go 1/9

Hard one to call, as a load of the data is not on Factory ammo. I had teh same problems when trying to choose a twist for my .223
    (hopefully I made the right one :pac:)

You've got it backwards there. The heavier the bullets you fire, typically the tighter the twist, so the 90gr bullets would theoretically require a faster twist than a 70gr bullet. However, in practical terms, it's more or less a wash. If you're just going to run the 70gr BT load through it, you can be more precise than if you want a variety of bullets to shoot through it.

You've got it backwards there. The heavier the bullets you fire, typically the tighter the twist, so the 90gr bullets would theoretically require a faster twist than a 70gr bullet. However, in practical terms, it's more or less a wash. If you're just going to run the 70gr BT load through it, you can be more precise than if you want a variety of bullets to shoot through it.

IWM.
    I did state that was with US laoded ammo, where they guys played with seating depth and powders.

Factory Tikka's use 1/10 remington use 1/9 and an eight

IWM.
    I did state that was with US laoded ammo, where they guys played with seating depth and powders.

Factory Tikka's use 1/10 remington use 1/9 and an eight

Neither of which make a difference to the twist used. You made a mistake.

Neither of which make a difference to the twist used. You made a mistake.

I make mistakes on a daily basis, do you not?

Now, I'm off to pop a few varmints :D
    Later!

Paulo.

go 1/9 seems to be the most versatile .243 twist according to the yankie doodles

Advertisement