Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise polluting low flying recreational plane.

Options
  • 05-03-2011 1:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭

I can only assume this plane circling over the city ruining my otherwise peaceful afternoon is a recreational joy ride for some rich kid.
    Who are these guys and are they allowed to lap an urban area every weekend with their noisy annoyance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thank you - I thought I was the only one who found the noise of these annoying

Seven Worlds will Collide

Is it possible that they're doing some form of Ordnance Survey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I can only assume this plane circling over the city ruining my otherwise peaceful afternoon is a recreational joy ride for some rich kid.
    Who are these guys and are they allowed to lap an urban area every weekend with their noisy annoyance?

Why can you only assume its a recreational joy for some rich kid?

Despite the tens of thousands of cars, vans and trucks going round the City, a single light aircraft is ruining your afternoon?

Naturally you've never took to the skies yourself, as a passenger of a even more polluting and noisy jet airliner over somebody else City, on their otherwise peaceful afternoon.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I could hear it too, not giving out about it people need to enjoy themselves in the air as much as people on motorbikes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'm one of "these guys". We're perfectly entitled to fly over the city once above 1,500 feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AndyC555

Or somebody aspiring to be an airline pilot and they are out training.

Get a life you moaning old git.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Hardly public service surveying at the weekends!
    Whatever height you're at, unnecessary noise pollution is unnecessary noise pollution. There's this giant thing west of here called the Atlantic Ocean for you to dick around over to your heart's content.
    Oh, and can you give us your home address? I've this old 1500cc Yamaha I'd like to tune up and your garden sounds perfect for the job.
    Typical sociopath attitude: if we're annoying you then you must be an "old fart".

Why can you only assume its a recreational joy for some rich kid?

Despite the tens of thousands of cars, vans and trucks going round the City, a single light aircraft is ruining your afternoon?

Naturally you've never took to the skies yourself, as a passenger of a even more polluting and noisy jet airliner over somebody else City, on their otherwise peaceful afternoon.:pac:
    I assume it's a joy ride for some rich kid because we only get it on weekends at it isn't cheap.
    I can't hear any of those thousands of vehicles. Why would I care about them?
    Flights at 40,000 feet are nowhere near as noisy as 1500, even if the plane is small. And per passenger mile I imagine they're far more economical.
    Piloting must be mostly a gross motor skill, becauseit does little to foster logical thinking.

Piloting must be mostly a gross motor skill, becauseit does little to foster logical thinking.

That is possibly the most retarded statement I have ever read. You have no idea what you are talking about.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That is possibly the most retarded statement I have ever read. You have no idea what you are talking about.
    You haven't read any of your own then.
    (Hint: You should. We shouldn't)
    Saying a statement is retarded isn't the same as showing why it is.
    Which is sorta more evidence for my side of this than yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

IT's more than likely a pilot racking up hours to get a commercial license. Would you rather the pilot of your passenger plane just had a go instead of getting experience?

EDIT: About flying over the ocean, that's a non runner more than likely. I don't think inexperienced pilots are allowed to fly over the ocean due to the dangers.

Saying a statement is retarded isn't the same as showing why it is.
    Which is sorta more evidence for my side of this than yours.

I thought it would have been somewhat self evident but I'll spell it out for you.

From your posts, you have no knowledge or experience of flying an aeroplane. Yet you feel you have the authority to make a sweeping statement that flying an aircraft does little to foster logical thinking.

Recreational flying is all about logical thinking. It is not a motor skill. If you took the time to scratch the surface of the mountains of research and analysis out there you would see that the vast majority of accidents during recreational flight are caused by pilot error. Once you realise this fact you can begin to appreciate just how important logical, rational decisions are when it comes to flying.

That is why I said your comment that flying is a motor skill is possibly the most retarded thing I ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I assume it's a joy ride for some rich kid because we only get it on weekends at it isn't cheap.
    Just because something isn't cheap, doesn't mean that you have to be a rich kid to partake in it. Whoever is flying may have maybe sacrifices to enable themselves to pay for it.

Flying at the weekend may be the only opportunity for someone to do so. Possibly because they are grafting hard during the week to pay for the flying

I can't hear any of those thousands of vehicles. Why would I care about them?
    You're in Galway City and you cant hear any traffic at all?
    Flights at 40,000 feet are nowhere near as noisy as 1500, even if the plane is small.
    Ah so you only travel on the passenger jets that ascend/descend from/to their cruising altitude of 40,000 ft to/from the runway via a completely vertical flight path directly above their designated airport, without any sound travelling outside of the air fields perimeter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

All you have to do is say its a fighter plane and the GAAW will crawl out of their holes and put an end to this abomination. They will launch their anti aircraft missiles to the tune of "99 red baloons"

I thought it would have been somewhat self evident but I'll spell it out for you.
    Followed by you spelling out nothing except your own boorishness.
    From your posts, you have no knowledge or experience of flying an aeroplane. Yet you feel you have the authority to make a sweeping statement that flying an aircraft does little to foster logical thinking.
    And now you're about to prove me wrong. Whoops, no you won't.
    Recreational flying is all about logical thinking. It is not a motor skill. If you took the time to scratch the surface of the mountains of research and analysis out there you would see that the vast majority of accidents during recreational flight are caused by pilot error. Once you realise this fact you can begin to appreciate just how important logical, rational decisions are when it comes to flying.
    Really? Pilot error? If you guys got such smarts, how could this possibly happen?
    That is why I said your comment that flying is a motor skill is possibly the most retarded thing I ever read.
    As I said earlier, you mustn't read many of your own posts before you click send. It shows.

Just because something isn't cheap, doesn't mean that you have to be a rich kid to partake in it. Whoever is flying may have maybe sacrifices to enable themselves to pay for it.
    Yeah, I'm sure there's unemployed people who let their kids starve to do a few laps of the city every Saturday.
    Sure mate.
    Flying at the weekend may be the only opportunity for someone to do so. Possibly because they are grafting hard during the week to pay for the flying
    I couldn't give a monkey's TBH what day they fly as long as the stay out near the airport. Why do they insist on annoying people around the city?
    You're in Galway City and you cant hear any traffic at all?
    You're right, when you and your flyboy mates are circling, I can't hear any traffic. Thanks so much for the service you provide.
    The real answer is no, for 99% of the time I hear no traffic. My house doesn't front 10 yards from a dual carriageway.
    Ah so you only travel on the passenger jets that ascend/descend from/to their cruising altitude of 40,000 ft to/from the runway via a completely vertical flight path directly above their designated airport, without any sound travelling outside of the air fields perimeter?
    Oh, the "pollution" thing has disappeared now. I take it I was right then about big planes being much more economical per passenger mile. Thanks for the concession.
    I've never landed on a runway in a city centre myself. I'm sure they exist, but the one's I've seen are miles outside town.
    Sorry.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    All you have to do is say its a fighter plane and the GAAW will crawl out of their holes and put an end to this abomination. They will launch their anti aircraft missiles to the tune of "99 red baloons"
    Which easily wins the nonsense pretending it's hyperbole award of the day.
    Why would an anti-war group have or use anti-aircraft missiles? :rolleyes:
    You might be on to something though. They did a great job on the airshow, so I'll drop them a bell. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

The engine noise coming off this particular 'plane was extraordinarily loud. It sounded like it was just a few hundred feet high.

Where are the regulations covering what is defined as the Irish airspace? The only ones I can find say the minimum is 900m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

@ DanSolo, is there not a volume setting on your hearing aid?

• Advertisement

996tt wrote: »
    @ DanSolo, is there not a volume setting on your hearing aid?

Another BS post. If I had a hearing aid and I could still hear this airplane then presumably it's incredibly loud.
    Are you in the market for a triple barrel shotgun so you can shoot yourself in the foot even more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Another BS post. If I had a hearing aid and I could still hear this airplane then presumably it's incredibly loud.
    Are you in the market for a triple barrel shotgun so you can shoot yourself in the foot even more?
    Why would he want to shoot himself in the foot?
    To me you just sound like someone who got bored and wanted a moan. Oh no my ears aaaaaaahhhhhh the plane it hurts my sensitive ears! What effect did this plane directly have on your life today? Do you not engage in any noise-inducing activities at all no? Oh you model citizen you!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I couldn't give a monkey's TBH what day they fly as long as the stay out near the airport. Why do they insist on annoying people around the city?

Well planes wouldn't be allowled to stay near the airport as other aircraft need space to land at the airport

I don't see the problem, small bit of noise from a plane on a nice day, could be anything from tourists paying to see views above Galway, people training for their license, or of course rich kids spinning around the skies pulling handbrakes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well you assumed wrong in fact it was some very brave people doing parachute jumps into Galway Airport for charity, so sorry it upset you. The reason for the aircraft being over the City was due to Easterly winds as the jumpers would fly into the wind towards the airport after jumping out.

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

May aswell close this thread, it's going nowhere. Meh, noise is noise. It might be annoying but you ARE living in a city, just because it's Galway and not New York doesn't mean you get a silent enviroment :p

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Wow, just wow. Back to the drawing board with that sentence.
    When people cock up they tend not to do it on purpose. Except you perhaps, which in itself would explain a lot!
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    To me you just sound like someone who got bored and wanted a moan. Oh no my ears aaaaaaahhhhhh the plane it hurts my sensitive ears! What effect did this plane directly have on your life today? Do you not engage in any noise-inducing activities at all no? Oh you model citizen you!
    I love noise. I'm just not a dick so I make sure I don't subject anybody else to it unless they agree.
    As I asked already, give me your home address and I'll call round to tune up my Yamaha tomorrow morning. Not some old fuddy duddy who's afraid of a bit of noise surely are you?:rolleyes:

I don't see the problem, small bit of noise from a plane on a nice day

Was nice you mean.

-Vega- wrote: »
    May aswell close this thread, it's going nowhere. Meh, noise is noise. It might be annoying but you ARE living in a city, just because it's Galway and not New York doesn't mean you get a silent enviroment :p
    Back seat modding? They'll love you around here newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan_Solo

Well you assumed wrong in fact it was some very brave people doing parachute jumps into Galway Airport for charity, so sorry it upset you. The reason for the aircraft being over the City was due to Easterly winds as the jumpers would fly into the wind towards the airport after jumping out.

Well done

Ref my post above here is the link to the charity jump

http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/2417/

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »

Well done
    I couldn't give a monkeys what they were doing if it's not essential. None of my business. The noise is.
    There must be charity jumps every day of the week in that case! Go on, tell me there is...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement