Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old skool sweets

Options
  • 05-03-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

having a party in a few weeks and would love to have a few bowls of sweets from the 80's!! there are a few websites on the retro forum but they seem a bit expensive so i'm looking for someplace in the city or county which still sells old time sweets. so if you know any place that sells apple jacks to apple drops, banshee bones to double dips, or wham bars to refreshers then please let me know!!

btw i know theres a retro sweet sale in lidl from monday (http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20115390.index) so will be stocking up on some stuff then!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

In some shops they have a bassetts stand that sell all sorts of things, like the sherbet dip, double dips etc. There is def one in the Amber garage in Mayfield as I saw it yesterday. If you know someone who has a musgraves card it be very handy just to go there. Go luck and hope you have a good party (p.s. can I go;)I love sweets)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

bit dear imo but have a look here they deliver http://www.slipsweetshop.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

There is a spar on Beaumont drive where I regularly buy Wheelies and wham bars and dan bars.

River Island and New Look (as weird as this sounds) always have an old school stock going near the till. Like the pez sweets and dispensers and those jazzies.

man I miss postman pats, wish they were still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Garage in Carrigtohill has a good selection - wham, stinger, hulk, big time etc

Generally any shop run by old people. They must have she same order sheets since the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

The new shop down at Gaols cross by UCC has tubs of everything and anything in the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

On Washington Street next toi the bus stop opposite Xtravisio there is a wee shop which is quite good for that. I think it's called Keatings, but I'm not certain. It has a yellow sign and is run by a really nice old lady.

Also, although I'm not sure if it's still there, there used to be a good shop for that on the corner of Castle St and North Main Street, next to Fast Al's Pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    Also, although I'm not sure if it's still there, there used to be a good shop for that on the corner of Castle St and North Main Street, next to Fast Al's Pizza.
    The newsagents beside the other Fast Al's, on Pembroke Street I believe it's called, stocks a few. Though that shop in Kilkenny is the largest I've seen, and quite edible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

AFC_1903 wrote: »

Checked earlier - it's no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think the sweet factory up near Shandon is still going - they do sell them directly to the public too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If you are anywhere near Cobh, there's a real old sweet shop run by two ladies well into their 80's.......its the old style with manual weighing scales & plastic jars on the shelves full of rhubarb & custard etc....

I think they open when they feel like it to be honest, but its on the left hand side at the bottom of the hill as you're coming in from Cork - almost opposite the turning for the train station....Big red door

You could also try Linehans on John Redmond Street - http://homepage.eircom.net/~stmarysonthehill/comenius/traditionalfoods/linehans.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks everyone! will be taking a bit of a road trip this weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Andip wrote: »
    If you are anywhere near Cobh, there's a real old sweet shop run by two ladies well into their 80's.......its the old style with manual weighing scales & plastic jars on the shelves full of rhubarb & custard etc....I think they open when they feel like it to be honest, but its on the left hand side at the bottom of the hill as you're coming in from Cork - almost opposite the turning for the train station....Big red door

You could also try Linehans on John Redmond Street - http://homepage.eircom.net/~stmarysonthehill/comenius/traditionalfoods/linehans.html

Now that's what I call sweet.

Advertisement