Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Fishing Tackle

• 05-03-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction? I have a selection of rods and reels and i was hoping to get them valued. There are some hardy reels and split cane rods, some of them Hardy also.

There seems to be a lot of experts in the UK. What about the Ireland? I am finding it difficult to get a contact in this field in Ireland.

Does anybody have any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

It very much depends on the quality of the equipment and what the day is like when you put them to auction. There are two dates each year in the UK when classic gear is auctioned but off the top of my head I can't remember when they are. Other than that ebay is a good option although you'll have to be prepared to ship them worldwide as the Irish market is tiny. You could give someone at www.theclassicrod.com a shout, they are the only Irish cane rod makers I know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

re the OP, hope u make good money on the Hardy rods, don't get ripped off! I'll give you 50 euro for the lot.

re classicrods.com - great to see an Irish address but they don't have a single price, very few photos, no pics of reels, nothing. the site looks like a front for some CIA operative. terrible disappointment. what a waste of effort.
    if i was going out of my way to frustrate my own customers and destroy my own business i'd be right on the money with this site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Maybe their assumption is if you have to ask you can't afford it!
    Hehe :-)

i'm annoyed because it has such great potential.
    also they say that they have reproduction classic reels but not pics or prices.

unless i see pictures of workshops and a work environment my first thought is 'made in hong kong'.

edit: this is more like it: http://www.irelandsantiquefishingtackle.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fish boy

edit: this is more like it: http://www.irelandsantiquefishingtackle.com/[/QUOTE]

Very useful site alright! Some of the reels i have are featured on the Web site.

I have added a few pictures of a 3 piece Salmon Fly Rod and i was wondering if anybody could tell me the make as there is no name on the rod.
    However as can be seen in the pictures it says it is made in Ireland.
    Are/were there rods made in Ireland?

DSCN1734.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1732.jpg

• Advertisement

Fish boy wrote: »

Very useful site alright! Some of the reels i have are featured on the Web site.

I have added a few pictures of a 3 piece Salmon Fly Rod and i was wondering if anybody could tell me the make as there is no name on the rod.

DSCN1734.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1732.jpg[/QUOTE]

hello fishboy, i'm watching Zodiac on tg4 so I've got my thinking cap on.
    The G logo which means gauranteed Irish, was initiated in 1975 so its not that old. It looks a lot like an old damaged rod i have in Drogheda. If I get further details I'll post them here but it won't be for a week.
    I'm guessing though that its not really worth anything. hope i'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Fish boy wrote: »

DSCN1734.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1732.jpg[/QUOTE]

I assume that is a fiberglass rod, there were a few makers in Ireland in the 70s into the early 80s. I think I may have one like that too up in the office. I'll have a look tomorrow for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Not knocking anybody on here but there are larger audiences in
    http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/
    http://www.flyforums.co.uk/index.php

for this sort of thing

I think I have a 4 piece salmon rod very like that at home as well, looks like it was too popular to have significant value as an antique

Advertisement