Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sports centre

Options
  • 05-03-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the new sports centre is going to be completed, when it will open and if like crunch fitness it will allow non students to use its facilities? Crunch is closing in June but cant find answers to the other questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have heard it will be open in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Don't mean to derail the topic OP but I just have a quick question for people? Anyone know what the weights area is like in crunch / will be like in crunch? I'm trying to decide whether to stick with Westwood Sandymount or to move to Crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

No point moving to crunch now imo as it is closing in June. It is fairly well stocked with a wide range of machines and free weights. However, the place is kinda falling apart and is fairly dingy. Seeing as they are closing down soon they couldn't be bothered to update their equipment.

The new gym is going to be run by UCD, not crunch afaik. Not sure what its going to be like, but I'd imagine that it will be well stocked.

Its going to be free for current students as well, and a reduced price for graduates.

EDIT: Information about the fitness facilities, and the student centre development in general, here:

http://www.ucd.ie/studentcentre/sc2/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Closing in June?? Awww, crap!!

Can anyone recommend a gym nearby that's relatively cheap to use? Was hoping Crunch wouldn't close 'til early August so I'd get the most outta the membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

RosyLily wrote: »
    Closing in June?? Awww, crap!!

Can anyone recommend a gym nearby that's relatively cheap to use? Was hoping Crunch wouldn't close 'til early August so I'd get the most outta the membership.

It'll be summer time, use the Gr8 Outdoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

LUPE wrote: »

Because dumb-bells and barbells are in abundance out there.

Because dumb-bells and barbells are in abundance out there.

W8s are for the weak tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

W8s are for the weak tbf

How do you plan to use the great outdoors for anything more than cardio and bodyweight exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

In the words of Mr. Burns.....

"I don't like being outdoors Smithers, for one thing, there's too many fat children". :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

From what I hear, the new sports center will not be open until January 2012 due to a delay in building, caused in part by a collapsed girder during the bad weather over the winter.

So that leaves UCD with no gym from June until January i.e. 6 months.

• Advertisement

mloc wrote: »
    From what I hear, the new sports center will not be open until January 2012 due to a delay in building, caused in part by a collapsed girder during the bad weather over the winter.

So that leaves UCD with no gym from June until January i.e. 6 months.

Well that's very annoying... where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

friarsland are always doing deals - just up in clonskeagh opposite the mosque.

UCD looks a year away from completion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

meemeep wrote: »
    friarsland are always doing deals - just up in clonskeagh opposite the mosque.

UCD looks a year away from completion!

Friarsland isn't bad in general, but very limited in terms of resistance training. I tried it a year ago and the heaviest dumbbells were 32kg... not great for any serious male trainee or athlete.

For those looking strictly for cardio or for a more "health center" style of place, it's pretty good.

I won't name my source about the delay, but I would say a reliable source. I'd imagine if you ask they'll probably tell you the timescale. I'd hope they would anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

As much as I'd absolutely LOVE for the new centre to be open by August, unless they work killer hard on it all summer, it doesn't look very close to being finished :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HughOrBrady

aine92 wrote: »
    As much as I'd absolutely LOVE for the new centre to be open by August, unless they work killer hard on it all summer, it doesn't look very close to being finished :(

As per the Presidents latest report to the Governing authoritay (P11) (other reports here)
    Student Centre and Leisure Complex & West Campus Commuting Facility
    The main contractor has issued an updated construction programme following a series of meetings regarding the scheduling and sequencing of works. The revised programme indicates a hand-over date of 30 October 2011. This is 5 months past the original tendered completion date and reflects the weather delays experienced in early 2010 and again in November/December 2011, the complexity of the bespoke design, the difficulties encountered with the glulam beam erection and the added requirement for comprehensive information to flow between the parties. It is anticipated that the opening date will be 2 months post “hand over” to enable client direct installation, safety audit, systems auditing and staff training.

So staff get into the building end of October, and will spend two months training up, so opening date will be Jan 2012ish.

Unless it snows again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

WeeBushy wrote: »

Its going to be free for current students as well, and a reduced price for graduates.

Why only a reduced rate for graduates? I paid the student centre levy 4 times, that would be enough to pay for 2 years gym membership at another gym. I was told by a UCD staff member every student that all ex students would get at least 6 months free membership, those that paid the levy anyway. I guess they must be backtracking on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

[QUOTE=WeeBushy;
    Its going to be free for current students as well, [/QUOTE]

How could they afford this ? By increasing the student levy to €500
    a year or something.

Even DCUs sport centre has membership rates for students I doubt if UCD could afford to let all current students in for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Maynooth is free to use, just thought i'd say, dunno how they afford it though

RMD wrote: »
    How do you plan to use the great outdoors for anything more than cardio and bodyweight exercises?

Climbing trees and swimming in lakes tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CMoonheadNo1

I look forward to lifting weights thus winning dates in UCD's magnificant new sport complex. Thanks FF.

I agree though that it isn't on that Alumni get just reduced rates. Pathetic in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Lupe has a point. Why would you join a gym so you can use a treadmill to run in one spot for hours when you can get more enjoyment running outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I look forward to lifting weights thus winning dates in UCD's magnificant new sport complex. Thanks FF.

I agree though that it isn't on that Alumni get just reduced rates. Pathetic in fact.

By right all students should have to pay a reduced rate if UCD authorities are going to make Alumni pay who have contributed just as much as current students. It would probably keep the gym less cluttered of people who will just pi$$ about in it who wouldn't normally get a gym membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Why only a reduced rate for graduates? I paid the student centre levy 4 times, that would be enough to pay for 2 years gym membership at another gym. I was told by a UCD staff member every student that all ex students would get at least 6 months free membership, those that paid the levy anyway. I guess they must be backtracking on that.

Yeah I was under the impression that its free for graduates who paid the Levy fee. It better be.

OSI wrote: »
    Because Irish weather is shite and not everyone enjoys running in the wet and cold that we have for large parts of the year.

Man up. Treadmills are appalling things, completely unnatural

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Man up. Treadmills are appalling things, completely unnatural

Many reasons why they're better.

Take out gradient, wind and underfloor conditions and get yourself a consistent run to aid in comparative workouts really helps.

But mainly its simple things, choice for instance. I can choose to run 3 km in a loop around my local area, but really once gone, haven't a lot of choice. With the treadmill you can set targets for yourself, and should you not achieve of over achieve not displace your proximity to a shower.

It also makes things like listening to music, or in nice gyms, watching TV easier. And finally can be used as part of a balanced workout routine.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Take out gradient, wind and underfloor conditions and get yourself a consistent run to aid in comparative workouts really helps.

Well if you're doing comparative workouts (???) then surely by doing the same routes the gradient would be the same. Wind and underfloor(?) shouldn't make too much of a difference unless it's a blizzard. Wind blowing hard? Run a bit harder.
    But mainly its simple things, choice for instance. I can choose to run 3 km in a loop around my local area, but really once gone, haven't a lot of choice.

First of all; 3k - warm up, I presume?

Eh, not sure if you're being serious here, but you are allowed run more than 3km, either by doing the loop more than once, or if you're feeling adventurous, by running around different routes, as long as short as you want. If you're worried about measuring distance for your comparative workouts use mapmyrun.com

"Haven't a lot of choice" - Christ
    With the treadmill you can set targets for yourself

You don't and shouldn't need a treadmill to set yourself targets
    and should you not achieve of over achieve

Should never be an issue. Pick a run and get out and do it. If you're so big on your comparative workouts you should know your capabilities so as not to shoot too high, but if you do happen to overestimate your ability, no harm in pushing yourself once in a while.
    not displace your proximity to a shower.

When you arrive home from your outdoor run your shower will still be where it always was
    It also makes things like listening to music, or in nice gyms, watching TV easier.

Listening music on an iPod is exactly the same outside as it is on a treadmill, if that's what you do.

TV - get out of here. Workouts are for pushing yourself, you know working, out. Anybody who's doing it properly won't be able to, and won't be bothered, to watch tv.
    And finally can be used as part of a balanced workout routine.

You're right, running in open air cannot be...

Wow some people are reading waaaay too much into where one exercises.

Some folk like to exercise outdoors, others prefer the confines of a gym. Why's that such a big deal? Whatever works for yourself tbh.

Besides, I have yet to find dumbells increasing in 2kg increments in my local park. Until such a day I think I'll stick to the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CMoonheadNo1

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah I was under the impression that its free for graduates who paid the Levy fee. It better be.

Labour Party sayssssssssss nooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Labour Party sayssssssssss nooo.

Can they actually change the terms of the sports complex now? I don't mean the Labour Party, I just mean in general? If they have, I should be entitled to my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I don't think they ever said it would be free for graduates. Afaik we get a discount. Nothing in life is free* and you definitely ain't getting any monies back

*I know you have already contributed towards it (as have I) but thats what the management company will probably reply to you if you asked for free entry.

Advertisement