Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis in Galway on a Saturday night?

Options
  • 05-03-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Coming down to Galway in a few weeks time and staying in the Carlton. Just wondering how easy it is to get a taxi from Eyre Square after a night out?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

take your pick, there are thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

That's what I was thinking myself, any idea how much a taxi would be from Eyre Square to Renmore. I'm thinking it wouldn't be that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Theres usually a big queue of taxi's outside Supermacs in Eyre Square.
    There are a good few taxi companys around too and they tend to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

Used to live out in Renmore, the normal going rate is between 8 - 12 euros. That depends on taxis companies though. Go Pro all the way. Located on Eyre Sq, near Cuba. Enjoy!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Are you talking Paddys Day? If so that tends to mean waiting in line for quite a while..just so ya know

• Advertisement

Thanks Wompa1, it's the first weekend in April that we'll be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dcr22B wrote: »
    Thanks Wompa1, it's the first weekend in April that we'll be down.

You'll do the finest. As already stated we are over populated with taxis...there's actually some of them blocking up the roads near the taxi ranks because there's no space

If you're getting a cab from Eyre Square to Renmore, most definitely go with Pro Cabs, that's located beside where Cuba used to be. They charge €8 regardless of time or date. However I would advise to call for a cab early in the night and have it booked for a certain time and place to save yourself queuing up at the taxi rank in Eyre Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Handiniho

Procabs do the best rates in my opinion rather than taxis, just call in advance and they'll pick you up. However some of the city centre hotels are doing such good deals at the moment, taxis are a cost that could be avoided by staying in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

dcr22B wrote: »
    Hi all,

Coming down to Galway in a few weeks time and staying in the Carlton. Just wondering how easy it is to get a taxi from Eyre Square after a night out?

Thanks in advance

beware of the Nigerian taxi drivers if you are female.
    It would appear that some black taxi drivers will also give you a ride, whether you want one or not. see the story in the City Tribune.
    I wonder do they also try to ride males?

Mod note, user banned for this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's another cheap cab place beside the AIB branch. 4 euro each for a taxi to Moycullen if there's four of ye.

Handiniho wrote: »
    However some of the city centre hotels are doing such good deals at the moment, taxis are a cost that could be avoided by staying in the city.
    I'd love to see where these deals are?

There's a gang of 12 of us coming down for a stag and we're provisionally booked into the Radisson (I wasn't the one doing the booking) but it's €170 B&B (breakfast won't be happening anyway) and I'm trying to suss out alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rareroastbeef

Use a reputable taxi company so you will have come back just incase. The drivers are traceable. Galway Taxis and Big O Taxis are the larger companies in Galway. Beware of getting into an independent cab* on the street. These cabs look like regular taxis. Some of these cabs are not insured. The insurance discs are false. They tend to stay off the road until the early hours, then come out after the clubs/pubs when people are drunk and vulnerable. They're fine if it's straightforward, but you are running into major problems if anything untoward happens.

We always ring the bigger companies and they will happily arrange to have a taxi for you. I'd pay the extra 2 euro for the peace of mind to be honest.

*I'm not referring to all independent taxis. Just the minority of 'cowboys' out for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    It would appear that some black taxi drivers will also give you a ride, whether you want one or not. see the story in the City Tribune.

Link???????? :mad:

I've been in plenty of taxis driven by people from various African nations, and never had a problem.

Like you JM, been in taxis driven by people of all nationalities and never had any problems.
    A Nigerian-born taxi driver was convicted of sexually assaulting a young woman this week; see page 13 City Tribune, also galwaynews.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fuinseog won't be able to provide a link for a while Mary but he can PM it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Fuinseog wrote: »

Avoid racists roaming the City, you'll usually be able to spot them quite easily by starting up a conversation with one, regarding black people. Their banter will also lack the usual friendliness associated with Galway, and will tend to be witless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JustMary wrote: »
    Link???????? :mad:

I've been in plenty of taxis driven by people from various African nations, and never had a problem.

A Nigerian taxi driver was convicted at Galway Circuit Criminal Court on Wednesday of sexually assaulting a female NUIG student during a fare home.

It was reported in this week's City Tribune.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A Nigerian taxi driver was convicted at Galway Circuit Criminal Court on Wednesday of sexually assaulting a female NUI student during a fare home.

It was reported in this week's City Tribune.

So because one did it that means they all do it. Yes. That makes sense.

So because one did it that means they all do it. Yes. That makes sense.

Jesus, I just repeated what was in the paper.:mad:

The lefties in this city, I tells ya:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Jesus, I just repeated what was in the paper.:mad:

The lefties in this city, I tells ya:confused:

I think because it was reported just 3 posts up it felt like you were hammering a point, but maybe you didn't see the other post where the City Tribune was mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Enough of the Nigerian/Taxi/Rape connection, thanks.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think because it was reported just 3 posts up it felt like you were hammering a point, but maybe you didn't see the other post where the City Tribune was mentioned?

I hold my hands up, I didn't see the previous post.

I hadn't seen Fuinseog's unedited offending post and had that some reference to the conviction had removed due to lack of confirmation.

Advertisement