Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maltodextrin vs Dextrose vs Waxy Maize

Options
  • 05-03-2011 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have only used malto myself so i cant really compare but to be brutally honest, i haven't noticed a major difference! I use it in a post workout shake! What do you guys think? Is it really necessary or would something like a banana be sufficient? When do you take it? What results have you got?
    Im looking forward to seeing what you think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

soup1 wrote: »
    I have only used malto myself so i cant really compare but to be brutally honest, i haven't noticed a major difference! I use it in a post workout shake! What do you guys think? Is it really necessary or would something like a banana be sufficient? When do you take it? What results have you got?

Hey,
    what sort of difference were u expecting?they're just simple sugars and are used post workout to spike insulin levels and quickly replenish your glycogen stores.
    some people use them all the time and swear by them but imo they're not necessary unless you are training again the same day.
    As long as you feed yourself properly before the next training session(the following day) you'll be well topped up.try to get a good meal of protein&carbs into you within about 2hrs of your session.i'm always starving after a session though so if you're like me then a protein shake with milk/water and a banana is perfect to keep ya going until you find the time to cook.

Hey guys. . .you probably already know about this site but i thought id do a quick testimonal for anyone with doubts about their quality! www.myprotein.com/ireland
    For years i have fallen victim to the obnoxious prices of supplement companies like ON and Dymatize. A few months ago, i decided to order of this website but had my doubts about the quality of the product - after all, the prices are almost too good to be true! However, im glad to say i was mistaken! I got 5lb of pure unflavored whey isolate for 40euro! That's including delivery to my door :)More recently, iv been trying their maltodextrin and dextrose products fro a post workout recovery and i have to say, they are really noticeable - for 10euro for a 5lb bag, you can not go wrong!
    And before you ask, no i dont work fro the company or anything like that! I'm simply a satisfied consumer, free from the hedonism that fuels the mainstream supplement industry!
    So please take my advice on board, and check the site out if you haven't already.
    Heres a discount code to get an extra 5% off your first order - MP154574
    Happy lifting everybody :)

Just saw this...what's your game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

perhaps i didn't make myself clear! I haven't noticed any major difference between the products - in other words, malto and dextrose seem almost the same! Then again, iv only tried malto so i cant really give a comparison :) I can see how you could have misinterpreted that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Hey,
    what sort of difference were u expecting?they're just simple sugars and are used post workout to spike insulin levels and quickly replenish your glycogen stores.

Maltodextrin is actually a complex carbohydrate.
    perhaps i didn't make myself clear! I haven't noticed any major difference between the products - in other words, malto and dextrose seem almost the same! Then again, iv only tried malto so i cant really give a comparison :) I can see how you could have misinterpreted that!

Or you can buy glucose ( = dextrose) in local supermarkets, it's cheaper than myprotein including transport.

rocky wrote: »
    Maltodextrin is actually a complex carbohydrate.

Yeah true,i can't even blame tiredness for that mistake:o
    but it's absorbed very quickly like simple sugars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Wouldnt the effectiveness of a carb based post workout drink depend on how carb depleted you are from the workout? Which would depend on what kind of training you are doing??

cc87 wrote: »
    Wouldnt the effectiveness of a carb based post workout drink depend on how carb depleted you are from the workout? Which would depend on what kind of training you are doing??

the more depleted you are the more carbs you need.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    the more depleted you are the more carbs you need.

Im well aware of that.
    But for all we know everyone who has given there opinion on those supplements could be doing vastly different types of training.

Someone doing loads of long distance running will obviously have a stronger need for carbs post workout than someone doing primarily strength training. So unless the OP says what kind of training hes doing, commenting on his/her need for carbs is a pointless task

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

Im well aware of that.
    But for all we know everyone who has given there opinion on those supplements could be doing vastly different types of training.

Someone doing loads of long distance running will obviously have a stronger need for carbs post workout than someone doing primarily strength training. So unless the OP says what kind of training hes doing, commenting on his/her need for carbs is a pointless task
    not necessarily! i wouldn't matter what kind of training ones doing as long as its intense! whether you run 10k swim 5k, you will expend glycogen regardless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

not necessarily! i wouldn't matter what kind of training ones doing as long as its intense! whether you run 10k swim 5k, you will expend glycogen regardless

10k balls to the wall run -v- 45 minutes of "strength" work

Are the demands of these even remotely similar?

• Advertisement

A 100m sprint wont require much glycogen, neither will a max lift in powerlifting, no matter how intense they are

Im gonna stop commenting and defer to someone with a bit more eperience

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67563426&postcount=28

Im well aware of that.

Well without the op telling us anything about himself or about his training, yeah, we can hardly tell him how many grams of carbs he'll need post workout.is that what you mean?
    we can surely advise on the benefits of the supplements in question though.
    my opinion on them is...not needed unless he has more than one session planned in a day and the second session requires topped up glycogen stores.a wild guess tells me he's not a runner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

The 5k swim would take me a lot longer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Guvnor wrote: »
    The 5k swim would take me a lot longer! :D
    Don't feel too bad
    It would take an olympic swimmer longer

Advertisement