Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700 picarinny rail

Options
  • 05-03-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

On my Remington 700 short action I am currently using a 2 piece picarinny base and Burris extreme tactical rings.

I'd be much happier with a one piece picatinny rail tho so I'm just wonderin how much would one cost?? I don't want to spend huge money or require a gunsmith tho!

So what rails are ye using,where did ye get them and how much did they cost??

I'm not gonna buy dirt tho if the bases are too expensive I'll just keep what I have for a while!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    On my Remington 700 short action I am currently using a 2 piece picarinny base and Burris extreme tactical rings.

I'd be much happier with a one piece picatinny rail tho so I'm just wonderin how much would one cost?? I don't want to spend huge money or require a gunsmith tho!

So what rails are ye using,where did ye get them and how much did they cost??

I'm not gonna buy dirt tho if the bases are too expensive I'll just keep what I have for a while!

$29-300 depending on brand.

Stick with what you have until you can afford a good'en

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I use one of these-
    http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=2043
    Very solid, never had a problem with it and fairly reasonably priced.

Edit- Can get one off the bay if ya like too,
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NightForce-1-piece-M700-SA-20-MOA-Base-/350263911837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518d5b259d
    But theopticzone should be able to accomodate for possibly a better price if you email them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The ones i have used are below and in order of how i would rank them performance, cost, quality, and effectiveness wise.

Near Mfg - $225 (Canadian)

Nightforce - €150

Ken Farrell - €120

Warne. - €100
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    The ones i have used are below and in order of how i would rank them performance, cost, quality, and effectiveness wise.

Near Mfg - $225 (Canadian)

Nightforce - €150

Ken Farrell - €120

Warne. - €100

For the nightforce, is there any machining required? (or what does it mean by An integral recoil lug machined on the bottom of the base provides a precise fit when bedded to the rifle’s action, preventing any movement of the base or recoil stress on screws holding the base to the receiver. )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No machining required. All the bases are buy and fit.

The recoil lug is simply a piece of the base hat protrudes from the underside of the base and sits into an appropriate part of the receiver to aid the rail in holding true zero when fired. Its the same as the cross bars on the underside of weaver style rings that sit into the rail.

That make sense?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

For the nightforce, is there any machining required? (or what does it mean by An integral recoil lug machined on the bottom of the base provides a precise fit when bedded to the rifle’s action, preventing any movement of the base or recoil stress on screws holding the base to the receiver. )

No machining needed. Its just a small lip that sits down over the receiver into the ejection opening, but stops short of the bolt. You can make it out in pictures of it.

Edit- Beaten to it! :o
    Sorry for doubling up.

Ezridax wrote: »
    No machining required. All the bases are buy and fit.

The recoil lug is simply a piece of the base hat protrudes from the underside of the base and sits into an appropriate part of the receiver to aid the rail in holding true zero when fired. Its the same as the cross bars on the underside of weaver style rings that sit into the rail.

That make sense?

Gotcha

I'm always afraid buying off the next for them reasons, simple statements can sometimes be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Thanks for the replys lads so it seems that to get a decent one we are talking over €150, means i'll just wait on until I can afford a good one! :rolleyes:

I'll probably go for this unless anyone has a reason for me not to! :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nightforce-Direct-Mount-1-20-MOA-30mm-Rem-700-Short-/120643397946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c16e8293a

Advertisement