Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the craic with Paddies Day this year?

Options
  • 05-03-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Is the Spanish Arch off limits for the occasional/festive alcohol beverage?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It is an offence to imbibe alcohol in an outdoors public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

snubbleste wrote: »
    What about drinking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Handiniho

Yes the guards are apparently now policing it for any major events and spells of good weather and taking alcohol from anyone attempting to drink it there.

How can anyone say what it will be like?

Whatever happened to life experience?.... head down on the day for a look.... won't kill ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

How can anyone say what it will be like?

Whatever happened to life experience?.... head down on the day for a look.... won't kill ya.
    Probably cuz the same thing happens every single year in the Spanish Arch. People go down there, drink the nagin from their Volvic bottle and get it taken away from them.

Best head to some of the more hidden locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

What is this "Paddies Day" of which you speak???? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One Paddy, many Paddies :D

OP, drinking down the Sparch won't be allowed.
    This will probably be parked there

3785453954_60d0bd77d3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Planing to streak down Newcastle Road. Oh wait.......that was last weeks Galway session. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

snubbleste wrote: »
    But the policing is arbitrary....

How do you mean? Do they sometimes allow people to drink there?
    They probably make a risk assessment, for bigger holidays more people are at risk of doing crazy stuff and so the policing is more enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

These Paddies have upset me. However ill be drinking my Tesco Vodka and playing a bit of trad. Join if you like ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

biko wrote: »
    How do you mean? Do they sometimes allow people to drink there?
    They probably make a risk assessment, for bigger holidays more people are at risk of doing crazy stuff and so the policing is more enforced.

Go down there any nice Sunday during the summer and you'll find loads of people sitting there, drinking and minding their own business.

Yeah I know what you mean (have on occasion had a beer or two down there) and as long as there aren't too much hassle I assume they let it slide because they need the officers for other stuff.
    I'd say it's selective rather than arbitrary (random).

Does anyone remember Paddy's Day two years ago when the Spanish Arch was absolutely crowded with many many drunk people having a wonderful time? The cops walked around and just told people to dump their empties, which the vast majority did, though there wasn't adequate bins so the empties started piling up around there. Then last year they had the adequate facilities; port-a-loos, urinals and bins, yet the cops clamped down on public drinking. It really doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Yeah I know what you mean (have on occasion had a beer or two down there) and as long as there aren't too much hassle I assume they let it slide because they need the officers for other stuff.
    I'd say it's selective rather than arbitrary (random).

The whole public drinking policing is a bit random.
    You could take a walk along the river bank in summertime and see a group of intimidating people drinking bucky and nobody says boo.
    Ten minutes later a few toursit kids playing a guitar down at the Spanish Arch are being told to pour their cans out, then other times like you say they let it slide. Race week is a whole other story. The whole city centre becomes an open air pub, though in fairness I don't know how anybody could police that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

One Paddy, many Paddies :D

OP, drinking down the Sparch won't be allowed.
    This will probably be parked there

3785453954_60d0bd77d3.jpg
    I was down the Spanish Arch a few times last year during good weather and had a few drinks. That van has been parked beside us and nothing was said to us or any other group. Everyone was just quietly having a few drinks and everybody was happy.

I dont see the harm. It adds a nice atmosphere to the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Does anyone remember Paddy's Day two years ago when the Spanish Arch was absolutely crowded with many many drunk people having a wonderful time? The cops walked around and just told people to dump their empties, which the vast majority did, though there wasn't adequate bins so the empties started piling up around there. Then last year they had the adequate facilities; port-a-loos, urinals and bins, yet the cops clamped down on public drinking. It really doesn't make sense.

Last year was different because people were drunk and disorderly by 12pm so they had no choice to start patrolling that area. Think something like 15 arrests were made last year in Eyre Square alone.

2009 Paddy's Day Picture taken from the middle Arch. Unreal crowd at Spanish Arch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

God that Portmore building is so ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

2009 Paddy's Day Picture taken from the middle Arch. Unreal crowd at Spanish Arch.

Yep, remember being in the middle of that crowd, about 6 or 7 of us drinking cans, the guards were literally 5 yards away from us, they never approached us, nor anyone else that I saw. A fantastic day in the city, don't think there was any trouble, and when it got dark we went to the pub. More of the same this year please.

• Advertisement

hoody wrote: »
    Yep, remember being in the middle of that crowd, about 6 or 7 of us drinking cans, the guards were literally 5 yards away from us, they never approached us, nor anyone else that I saw. A fantastic day in the city, don't think there was any trouble, and when it got dark we went to the pub. More of the same this year please.

Indeed! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bring the Buck in a Fanta bottle and ye will be grand till ye fall over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Bring the Buck in a Fanta bottle and ye will be grand till ye fall over :D

Pfft, amateur :-) Coke bottle is less conspicuous!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Is there a parade?

Karona wrote: »
    Is there a parade?
    This should answer your question. ;)
    http://www.stpatricksgalway.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Deadly, thanks. :D

Advertisement