Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you give veg soup a bit of interest

Options
  • 05-03-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

That's it really, I'm looking for your tips.
    I am making it now and I know it's going to be dull.

I saute some onions in butter for a good while softly. Chop spuds, carrots and I think I've a parsnip there too to throw in. Some chicken stock (this one just from a cube) A celery stick, a bayleaf, some peppercorns, a few shakes of dried herbs from the cupboard and some fresh thyme and rosemary. Season. What would you do to make this tasty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

A bit of sweet chilli sauce. You'd be suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

some curry powder... you put in as much as you feel the need for, to get the required kick !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I often use leftover roasted veg for making soups. They generally have a deeper flavour. Try roasting squash sprinkled with ground coriander & carrots with ground cumin.

The addition of a bay leaf or two really helps with the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I love cayenne pepper in my soups, as well as some split red lentils to thicken it up a bit if I don't fancy making a spud based soup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Apple gives a freshness; I cannot take spices etc so seek a different approach.

Slice an apple in; the same in casseroles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I use paprika - gives a good kick to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Thanks all. :)

I might try all your suggestions together.

In the end I put in a good dash of Worcester sauce. Was nice. And used a good strong Emmental with the bread.

I will definitely try the apple suggestion, would never have occurred to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Disgrace using stock cubes ,no wonder the soup tastes crud.
    You have to make your own veg stock ,as is done in all restaurants.
    I woudnt add chili sauce ,unless its specifically a spicy soup.
    That is not to everyones taste .

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

eternal wrote: »
    Disgrace using stock cubes ,no wonder the soup tastes crud.
    You have to make your own veg stock ,as is done in all restaurants.
    I woudnt add chili sauce ,unless its specifically a spicy soup.
    That is not to everyones taste .

Whoah there!

Disgrace for using a stock cube?! We're only human for God's sake!
    I'd never dare call anyone a disgrace for using a food item that fits within their budget. Sure, it might not taste as good as the real mcCoy but no need to attack anyone on their choice of flavour enhancement :)

Also, I would agree that a home made stock is by far the superior option, but I would certainly NOT agree with your reasoning for making a homemade stock.. Because it "is done in all restaurants" is a silly remark.
    I'd recommend making your own stock because you will get a better flavour and if your veg is in season, it might actually end up being cheaper than purchasing a packet of stock cubes! Sure it is a little more time consuming but if you have a few extra hours during a lazy Sunday, why not rustle up a lovely stock! IT freezes well too and you could freeze it in nice little portion sizes. :)

You'd be surprised how many restaurants would opt for a ready made stock cube over a home made stock as it is more cost effective..

Never found anything wrong with a Knorr stock pot either..

What a rant but, please don't attack another poster for using a ready made product. It's not very nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Yeah about that ,
    didnt think Id be taken that literally and am not engaging in arguement
    sorry if I offended .

• Advertisement

Thanks Lornen but Eternal's right, s/he's only saying what I'm thinking myself.

I do make stock myself on occasion but don't have the freezer room so it's not feasible really for me.
    So I'll be sticking to the cubes for everyday stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well... stock cubes tend to make things taste pretty samey but that's why I throw in either a few chilli flakes with the onion or some curry powder. Actually, if I'm making veg soup with chilli flakes, peppers, carrots and sweetcorn, later on I sometimes throw in a dessert spoon or two of peanut butter.
    Seriously stick-to-your-ribs fare there.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Melt some butter, add some crushed garlic ( I use dried diced garlic), cook for a min, then add onions and put a lid on the pan over a low heat for 4 mins , then add some more butter, carrots, leek, one diced raw potato and stir well.
    Leave over a low heat for 10 mins, then add veg or chicken stock cube.
    Boil veg and once cooked you can use a hand blender or potato masher to make a smoother soup.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Loads of curry powder and lentils - yummers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Toast off a spice mix of corriander seed, fennel seed, chillis, and cumin seed. Grind up in a pestle and mortar and add to your base before you add the stock.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Use more pumpkin. And natural yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Unless you're a veggie then add some rashers and saute them them with some onions and garlic at the start of the recipe, it does it for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

a bit of freshly grated ginger can give a nice bit of warmth to a veggie soup

These are great suggestions. Thanks all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Instead of adding only stock, I would often add a glass or so (depending on how much soup I'm making) of dry white wine.

I did this with a cream of mushroom soup recently, and it's there as a subtle background taste. The soup has received great praise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stasty

A great way to perk up a veggie soup, is to add a squirt of Umami paste. You can buy it in Superquinn and it adds instant flavour to any soup, stew or boring toasted sandwich. It's a really handy paste to have in your fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I sometimes throw in some wasabi for a bit of kick, especially if its very potatoey(is that a word?!!) Curry pastes can lift the flavour too, but I tend to only use a very small amount as a background flavour. I'm a great one for digging around in the cupboard and fridge and grabbing whatever is to hand and experimenting, no recipe is ever exactly the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

A nice bit of dijon swirled in at the end, of course a sprinkling of cheese at the end also, countless ways to give a bit of life to veg soup! Personally i love it just full of good hearty veg most of the time (and shedloads of black pepper!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I always roast my veg with lots of black pepper and garlic.
    It really changes the flavour of the soup.

Advertisement