Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texting & Talking While Driving a Bus

Options
  • 05-03-2011 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Should Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus and Irish Rail drivers be prohibited from having a mobile phone in their possession while driving?

I have on a few occasions had to make official complaints about drivers who have been chatting away on their phones but the latest incidents involved one Bus Eireann driver talking untill the call got disconnected and then he carried on texting the other party while driving at night along country roads, while the other incident saw a Dublin Bus driver chatting away aimlessly on his handsfree on the 39a while seemingly oblivious to his surroundings who then went on to overcharge someone and refuse to sort it out.

To me these activities are illegal(even the handsfree can lead to driving without due care and attention) and also involve people carrying on private business in their employers time! These drivers are being paid taxpayers money to have long conversations with whoever when their attention should be on their driving!

Should mobile devices including those with handsfree be banned from all public service drivers to improve safety and driver concentration?

Would you Report a Bus Driver For Using their Phone While Driving? 47 votes

Yes without question or hesitation
    0%
    NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    72%
    joolsveermonumentTarabusesAlunMaceFacedowlingmBreezerSeanWLariannesweet-rasmusspuriousd1975PanhardPLRodinPeadar06Januaryfoggy_ladMycroft HbazzachazzaJaysoose 34 votes
    They might have good reason to make a 20minute call or send a few dozen texts
    27%
    Fighting Irishskyhighflyerligermikemacmurphym7DavyRayMDaemosCIEAbsurdum-Corkie-mtuckeromg a kitty 13 votes

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Should mobile devices including those with handsfree be banned from all public service drivers to improve safety and driver concentration?

Yes. Until your bus breaks down in the arse end of Carlow and you whinge that the driver couldn't contact Control or [insert name of entity here].

What should be done is a more rigorous implementation of existing legislation which deals with the use of such devices by _all_ drivers : that includes sales reps, bus drivers, white van drivers, yummy mummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    parsi wrote: »
    Yes. Until your bus breaks down in the arse end of Carlow and you whinge that the driver couldn't contact Control or [insert name of entity here].

What should be done is a more rigorous implementation of existing legislation which deals with the use of such devices by _all_ drivers : that includes sales reps, bus drivers, white van drivers, yummy mummies.
    There are plenty of drivers who carry their phone turned off in their bag for real emergiencies! There are also plenty of passengers with mobile phones who would gladly let the driver use their phone in an emergency. What is needed imho is stricter punishments for drivers of public service vehicles including taxis using their phones while driving.

Stricter enforcement of existing laws is necessary but my suggestion was more aimed at companies like Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus banning their drivers from carrying mobile phones whilein charge of any work vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

parsi wrote: »

Now now Parsi,Foggy_Lad has been quiet of late and it`s good to know the we can once again rest easy in our beds knowing that Foggy`s about :)

However to address Foggy`s initial question,NO the drivers in question should not specifically be prevented from having a mobile phone in their possession whilst driving.(However that course of action WAS being considered by some of the UK`s larger operators but is currently delayed pending clarification on legal matters)

Using it whilst driving is another question entirely,and as Parsi very elequently points out is already well covered by the general Road Traffic Laws.

However,if only to put the Foggy mind at ease,use of a mobile device whilst driving IS a disciplinary offence under Dublin Buses company policy and yes,drivers have recieved sanctions for it.

As for the remainder of Foggy_Lads observations,yep get them all down on paper and submit them as a formal complaint.

There is nothing like a keen all-encompassing observational mind to wile away the long hours on our Public Transport Commutes ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    Can you clarify please if using a phone with handsfree is allowed for DB drivers or if use of any mobile phone while driving is against their rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Aircoach would fall into this category...........

http://www.firstgroup.com/corporate/latest_news/?id=000075

Gross misconduct offence on the First rail and bus franchises. DB should follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

...Irish Rail drivers.....

It's been prohibited for years for train drivers or indeed anyone travelling in the driving cab of a train to be in possesion of a switched on mobile by IE's rules. It is permissable to have one on your person for emergencies but otherwise it must remain stowed away and switched off.

I know of about 3 or 4 seperate people who have been disiplined for breaking these rules in the past few years.

Foggy_Lad: Can you clarify please if using a phone with handsfree is allowed for DB drivers or if use of any mobile phone while driving is against their rules?

Absolutely,use of the item with or without handsfree devices is covered by the disciplinary code.

As Mickeydoomsux advises re Irish Rail,similar outcomes have pertained within Dublin bus,however that probably serves to take a bit of wind out of the good ship Foggy`s sails :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

cbl593h wrote: »
    Aircoach would fall into this category...........

http://www.firstgroup.com/corporate/latest_news/?id=000075

Gross misconduct offence on the First rail and bus franchises. DB should follow suit.

Dublin Bus followed or perhaps even led suit long ago.

The offence specified by cbl593h would indeed fall under the "Gross Misconduct" heading and is treated that way.

However it needs to be recognized that companies such as First Group and Dublin Bus although ostensibly dissimilar,are in reality now all singing from the same Hymn-Sheet in relation to matters disciplinary,as the Handbook has largely been formed by recourse to Employment Tribunals and the Law Courts. :)

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    Absolutely,use of the item with or without handsfree devices is covered by the disciplinary code.

As Mickeydoomsux advises re Irish Rail,similar outcomes have pertained within Dublin bus,however that probably serves to take a bit of wind out of the good ship Foggy`s sails :o
    Not at all. I can rest easy in my bus, coach or train seat knowing that there are rules covering this and all I need do on witnessing any driver on their phone while driving is make a complaint giving as much clear information(leaving any dramatics aside) as I can and any necessary action will be taken by the respective comany.

How many people would actually report a driver for using their mobile phone to make a call or to text while driving though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I saw the thread title on the main page, thought I bet that's Foggy_lad, clicked in and so it was.

Sorry, just an observation :p
    Reading through it now

• Advertisement

Not at all. I can rest easy in my bus, coach or train seat knowing that there are rules covering this and all I need do on witnessing any driver on their phone while driving is make a complaint giving as much clear information(leaving any dramatics aside) as I can and any necessary action will be taken by the respective comany.

Now we`re sucking diesel,mind you Foggy_Lad I`m unsure that the notion of yourself "resting-easy" on any public-transport journey is one that can be entertained by Boards regulars as the price of freedom is indeed Eternal Vigilance !!.

Yes indeed,a cool calm,factual report in the most effective manner to the relevant authority is yer only man :)

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    Now we`re sucking diesel,mind you Foggy_Lad I`m unsure that the notion of yourself "resting-easy" on any public-transport journey is one that can be entertained by Boards regulars as the price of freedom is indeed Eternal Vigilance !!.

Yes indeed,a cool calm,factual report in the most effective manner to the relevant authority is yer only man :)
    I do try to understand what makes professional drivers put their passengers and themselves at risk as well as jepordising their carreers by using a mobie phone for long calls or sending reams of texts when they obviously know it is not only illegal but also against their companies rules and may incur penalty points and a fine or even dismissal.

I also think more needs to be done to stamp out the use of mobiles by truck divers and taxi drivers as well as ordinary car drivers.

I do try to understand what makes professional drivers put their passengers and themselves at risk as well as jepordising their carreers by using a mobie phone for long calls or sending reams of texts when they obviously know it is not only illegal but also against their companies rules and may incur penalty points and a fine or even dismissal.

I also think more needs to be done to stamp out the use of mobiles by truck divers and taxi drivers as well as ordinary car drivers.

Foggy_Lad,don`t be wasting your valuable life "trying to understand" so many actions and reactions of other individuals.

Unless you`re a time served phsychiatrist or a certified lunatic you`ll simply waste away into a gibbering wreck.

Personally my own theory revolves around the modern contention that Life can be lived in a totally risk-free manner by virtue of adherence to various Health & Safety policies devised to head off all manner of Risky things at the pass.....as a result we (specifically the Irish and UK here) now appear incapable of wiping our own backsides without resorting to angst ridden introspection !

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    Foggy_Lad,don`t be wasting your valuable life "trying to understand" so many actions and reactions of other individuals.

Unless you`re a time served phsychiatrist or a certified lunatic you`ll simply waste away into a gibbering wreck.

Personally my own theory revolves around the modern contention that Life can be lived in a totally risk-free manner by virtue of adherence to various Health & Safety policies devised to head off all manner of Risky things at the pass.....as a result we (specifically the Irish and UK here) now appear incapable of wiping our own backsides without resorting to angst ridden introspection !
    But a lot of that Health & Safety stuff is just bureaucratic b0llix,thought up to give civil servants forms to fill out.

There will always be risks but they can be minimised by taking appropriate action against those caught speedingor drink driving or using mobiles while driving.

But a lot of that Health & Safety stuff is just bureaucratic b0llix,thought up to give civil servants forms to fill out.

There will always be risks but they can be minimised by taking appropriate action against those caught speedingor drink driving or using mobiles while driving.

A big plus one to the Bureaucratic B0llicks bit Foggy,for sure.

However,I think real Risk miniminization can only come from ensuring people are commonsensical and confident enough to live their lives in harmony with one another !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    Should Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus and Irish Rail drivers be prohibited from having a mobile phone in their possession while driving?
    I doubt they have an exemption from the law which forbids exactly that (at least on the road anyway - presumably there's a similar rail reg)

The question is - whether any penalty other than dismissal in additional to the existing legal sanctions are appropriate. Those who died on the California Metrolink and were injured on the Boston trolley would probably err on the harsh side.

As for being able to contact central control - a system where drivers can call control from a dashboard button linked to an embedded GSM chip should be all that is required. GSM-R is going to be rolled out on DART I believe, I saw a tender a while back for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

While your at it, make such you add smoking in a workplace to the list Foggy. :)That's gotten pretty bad recently (mainly taxis and trucks) though I've seen it to a lesser extent on DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I was on a Bus Eireann bus yesterday, and the driver was having a conversation on his phone, (using a handfree kit) from just outside Sligo town to nearly the whole way to castlebaldwin. I felt he wasnt paying much attention to the road at all, he seemed to be speeding on a good few occasions and driving extremely close to vehicles in front. I must say i found the journey rather a scary experience (and ive travelled a lot on buses over the years!).

The worst part was that 5 or 6 times on the journey the driver took out a copy of the timetable and was reading it while driving. I was in the first seat (on the door side) and looked in the mirror up by the door while he was reading the timetable and his eyes were off the road for a good 7-10 seconds at a time.
    As i said, i have used buses a lot over the years but i have never in all those years felt so relieved to get off a bus in my life!

I was only saying to someone the other day that i don't understand why it has become acceptable to use mobile phones in work these days- for work related calls yes but personal calls should be left till your own time i think, just my 2c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    I keep saying this but videoing the offence makes things happen, strongly worded complaints don't.

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    I keep saying this but videoing the offence makes things happen, strongly worded complaints don't.
    Possibly, but in mid journey being seen to be making a video of the drivers crime might be more hazardous then the drivers illegal and unsafe use of the mobile device. i will stick to the report to the appropriate company even though they refuse to answer or even acknowledge my complaints.

I also have no desire to see any drivers sacked or their career in bits due to some pointless media campaign, let the copmpanie's disciplinary action run its course and let that be an end to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

I have on a few occasions had to make official complaints about drivers who have been chatting away on their phones but the latest incidents involved one Bus Eireann driver talking untill the call got disconnected and then he carried on texting the other party while driving at night along country roads, while the other incident saw a Dublin Bus driver chatting away aimlessly on his handsfree on the 39a while seemingly oblivious to his surroundings who then went on to overcharge someone and refuse to sort it out.

To me these activities are illegal(even the handsfree can lead to driving without due care and attention) and also involve people carrying on private business in their employers time! These drivers are being paid taxpayers money to have long conversations with whoever when their attention should be on their driving!

while i dont agree that Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus and Irish Rail drivers be prohibited from having a mobile phone in their possession while driving ,i do agree that the law needs to be alot stricter. but then in saying that the law regarding the use of mobile phones is there for everyone and as you know when it comes to laws in this country theres a real lack of enforcement. on numerous occasions i have encountered hundreds of people using mobiles on an average run i would encounter about 1 in 5 drivers using mobiles. but the ones that sicken me the most are women using mobiles with kids in the front seat of their vehicles and believe it or not this is alot more common than one would think.
    but getting back to foggys point. dublin bus take a zero tollerence approach to this sort of thing as alek has already pointed out, so much so that D.B. inspectors have been known to stand at certain areas within the city centre and do D.B. drivers for using mobiles or having an ear piece. like other people out there we do have families believe it or not and in some cases we may need that mobile just in case of emergencies.we can use mobiles provided and only provided that bus is pulled into a safe place , the same rule would apply to any other road user.
    now heres an article worth reading.
    http://legal-island.ie/news/item/79/coach-driver-dismissed-for-texting-while-driving/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    This is why you mustn't text while driving a bus.

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Just as accurate...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

They should clearly be banned from using mobiles while driving but I don't see any reason why they should be banned from possessing one. Say you're driving a train and you're going to be 1 or 2 hours in another station before heading back on your next train. Why should you not be allowed to have your phone on you to use in the station on your break?

Irish Rail drivers are definitely banned from having them on while driving, as they should be.

NO WAY! i'm no rat.
    Ok so let them keep their phones in a bag or jacket on the bus and keep them turned off but we all know this will not last long before they are answering calls and texting as if they were at home.

More legislation is not the answer but more prosecuting and enforcement might just make it a risk not worth taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

the point here is what exactly is foggy looking for. is he looking for us to be banned from having mobile. (a)when we report for our duty all mobiles are confiscated or (b) is he asking the we be banned from using them whilst driving.
    is the case of (a) not on your nelly. there is no traffic law from anyone having a mobile on their possession. most of at some stage receive that all to important phone call whether it be good news or bad. in the case of (b) the law is already there. i carry mine but i have never used it whilst driving a bus and and never will. now in saying that on at least one ocassion i have had to take an important call,but that was done safely and while i was pulled in at the side of the road.
    if anything ( getting slightly off the point) the rule of passengers using a portable apparatus whilest on a bus should be enforced also.
    "No person while on the vehicle shall sing, perform on any musical or other instruments or use any audible radio, television, record player, tape recorder or portable apparatus."

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

"No person while on the vehicle shall sing, perform on any musical or other instruments or use any audible radio, television, record player, tape recorder or portable apparatus."

Going back about 2 years ago one sunday morning I was driving down the road when a bus was coming the other direction. An AV, Wedged in the gap between the steering colum and the dash was a portible DVD player. I joke not. Driver was doing the driving by holding the steering wheel with his forearms leaning forward and eyes down to the screen. Never forget seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The phone issue has been growing steadily worse (across all drivers) over the last few years. The fact that there is near zero enforcement means people feel confident they won't be caught. In my hour and 15 mins cycle this evening around the backroads in Dublin/Wicklow hills I came across 4 people driving while on the phone and only one person pulled in to take a call :rolleyes: Its the same any other day, its rampant.

Ok so let them keep their phones in a bag or jacket on the bus and keep them turned off but we all know this will not last long before they are answering calls and texting as if they were at home.

More legislation is not the answer but more prosecuting and enforcement might just make it a risk not worth taking.

Yes indeed Foggy,we all know.....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

The fact that there is near zero enforcement means people feel confident they won't be caught.

This may be true for Garda enforcement but if you talk to any DB driver they will know of a couple of their colleagues that have been caught and given warnings for using phone while driving.

Advertisement