Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland on Newstalk

• 05-03-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

Interview coming up in the next few minutes for anyone thats interested

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

He's very nervous. He's embarassed. Probably the main reason why he won't play for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

He sounds terrified!

Is he going to cry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Doesnt he have a game on, like, right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Doesnt he have a game on, like, right now?

Recorded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Lads what show was this on? ill hopefully get it on the podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Ah hes not that bad! Just very innocent.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Lads what show was this on? ill hopefully get it on the podcast

Newstalk SPort Saturday - ger gilroy

Ah hes not that bad! Just very innocent.

Yep, sure coming across that way alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

This is the first time iv actually heard him speak! He is definitely made out to sound like more of an asshole in nearly every quote iv read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Obligatory image

Stephen%20Ireland%20Range%20Rover.jpg

Just listening now, I think he is a lad who lacks alot of confidence in himself, when out of form he goes to pieces in many ways

I think being vilified in Ireland will make him less likely to come back. I'm by no means a fan of his to be honest but there are players that need coaxing, in relation to playing for ireland he has alot of baggage and I don't think he has alot of character to carry on his back the initial criticism he will get.

What I don't understand is how a quote "i'd rather shoot myself than live in Cobh" can be taken out of context. Now im not from Cobh but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if these things were said and he is in denial now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Could he not just go away and be quiet?

This is the first time iv actually heard him speak! He is definitely made out to sound like more of an asshole in nearly every quote iv read!

Have heard him speak a few times before but he is coming across really well here - but, all that being said, after what he has said, I am not sure why there is such a big deal over him coming back to the national squad. He appears to want to come back, Stan had him almost back, Traps and Brady were over there and while he didnt think much of Traps, its still not a reason to be back in the squad.

He's made some comments about the "bling" comments he had made about the young players he talked about at City totally failing to realise the irony of those comments.

There's a serious hint of innocence here as well as a little Naivety. It looks like he hasnt had ANY advice or assistance from "helpers" at all either which for a person in his position and with his demeanor would need.

Interview was recorded yesterday afternoon apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Poor guy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Didn't hear it all but did the interviewer not get him to definitively state what is his current stance as to plaing for the national team? He seemed to do a lot of fannying about the issue from what I heard, going on about geting his club place back etc. Its the first thing I'd have been looking to nail down if I was interviewing him.

kippy wrote: »
    Have heard him speak a few times before but he is coming across really well here - but, all that being said, after what he has said, I am not sure why there is such a big deal over him coming back to the national squad. He appears to want to come back, Stan had him almost back, Traps and Brady were over there and while he didnt think much of Traps, its still not a reason to be back in the squad.

He's made some comments about the "bling" comments he had made about the young players he talked about at City totally failing to realise the irony of those comments.

There's a serious hint of innocence here as well as a little Naivety. It looks like he hasnt had ANY advice or assistance from "helpers" at all either which for a person in his position and with his demeanor would need.

Interview was recorded yesterday afternoon apparently.

Some of the comments in the interview with the french media are pretty black and white though, very hard to see how they were taken out of context

More a case of his family giving him a b*llicking as they are currently living here and will have to put up with grief as a result of his naivety.

he may be naive but I think they are his genuine opinions.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Some of the comments in the interview with the french media are pretty black and white though, very hard to see how they were taken out of context

More a case of his family giving him a b*llicking as they are currently living here and will have to put up with grief as a result of his naivety.

he may be naive but I think they are his genuine opinions.

Thats probably a bit unfair. We dont know either way.
    We have no record of the interview tapes with the media outlet,
    We have no access to communications between himself and his family
    Without those two, one can only make the assumption that what he said in the NT interview was his opinion.

kippy wrote: »
    Thats probably a bit unfair. We dont know either way.
    We have no record of the interview tapes with the media outlet,
    We have no access to communications between himself and his family
    Without those two, one can only make the assumption that what he said in the NT interview was his opinion.

He shows all the hallmarks of a fella who doesn't want to be seen as a c*nt but he cannot help being honest.

I could understand if the comments were quite vague, but alot of what was apparently said is quite blunt, and im struggling to find what kind of context it could have been said in that would have been acceptable.

This particular media outlet have a history of twisting interview, I believe Lily Allen sued them for an interview that never actually happened.

Stephen Ireland in my opinion needs a manager, probably an Irish guy who will promise him the world and tell him he is vital to us. He needs someone handle him with care, and we have no idea if he will up sticks and b*gger off again.

Too many times now has he been wishy washy about his desire, when he speaks to irish media he leaves the door ajar without any specific detail or commitment.

He will then speak to foreign media and say he has no intention of playing for us.

Personally I think he is extremely naive, or even pretty stupid as to how the media works, and doesn't realise we can see everything he says not just in the irish media but also in the international media.

Personally, i think we will see him return under the next manager who will do what I mentioned above but id also wager that he will feck off again aswell under a cloud of controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Somebody made a very good point in a text sent in. He's was picked from a very young age to move to a different country to play football and wouldn't have the common sense in the way normal people would.

Media training really needs to given to modern footballers. They seem to be naive about implications their statements have.

• Advertisement

Somebody made a very good point in a text sent in. He's was picked from a very young age to move to a different country to play football and wouldn't have the common sense in the way normal people would.

Media training really needs to given to modern footballers. They seem to be naive about implications their statements have.
    In fairness, the majority of players of that background, and there are many, dont tend to make the bad decisions in the same self explosive fashion as Ireland did/does. Some thing must have gone wrong with his training or he just didnt get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Funny how some people on here slighlty backtracking their opinion on the lad. Exactly why you shouldnt judge someone that you dont know.

Funny how some people on here slighlty backtracking their opinion on the lad. Exactly why you shouldnt judge someone that you dont know.

I change my opinion on people I dont know based on new information that arises about them.
    Isn't that a part of being human?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

We hardly know him any better after a 15 minute grovelling interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Did he say anything of relevance???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

So you should have no opinion at all then?

Hang on, he's not denying that he said all these things, only that they shouldn't have been used in the magazine piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hang on, he's not denying that he said all these things, only that they shouldn't have been used in the magazine piece.

Didnt he not say what he said? And that "the girl went away and made more out of it"

• Advertisement

Sounds to me like he was spouting ****e for three hours, they picked out the juciest bits are put a story together with it. He doesn't actually say 'I never said those things, they made them up', he just says that they did more with the interview than they said they would.

He mentions there he threatened them with legal action and they ignored it, I don't think they would have ignored it if they didn't have him on tape saying what they reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone else wonder why a French football magazine would want to interview him in the first place?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anyone got a link (iPhone friendly) to this podcast ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mixednuts wrote: »
    Anyone got a link (iPhone friendly) to this podcast ?

Dont think its up yet, probably monday.

EDIT - Its up now on Podcast in ITunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Just heard the interview. What an utter lunatic. Wish he'd do everyone a favour and retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Not another thread on this ****ing numpty

• Advertisement
Advertisement