Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People Watching

• 05-03-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Its always been a favorite hobby of mine, in fact I enjoy it so much that I decided to study Anthropology.

I could sit all day long and watch the good citizens and the crazies go by, and I know lots of people who are the same. It can help pass time, be insightful, imaginative and funny (people do funny things!).

Anyway, I'm partaking in some observation soon and will be taking notes. I would like to ask boardsies for their ideas on interesting places in which to observe, and on perspectives to take...some things that myself and other people watchers might find interesting.

Previous observations or encounters are welcome! Anything at all...from trends among teens in D6 to bathroom behavior at the dishco.

I was thinking about doing a creche, but maybe parents might not be so enthusiastic! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Busaras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The Esso petrol station in Twomileborris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Burren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

*Shivers knowing there are people like the OP out there*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Previous observations or encounters are welcome! Anything at all...from trends among teens in D6 to bathroom behavior at the dishco.

I was thinking about doing a creche, but maybe parents might not be so enthusiastic! :rolleyes:
    theres a difference between anthrapology and just being a pervert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Car park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah, I'd lose the big brown anorak.

Sometimes I do it too. Cos I'm judgmental and think I'm better than everyone else. Fact. (May not be true).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Sit on the red line luas for the day.
    You'll need more than one notebook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

People watching is only acceptable if you're sitting outside a pub with a pint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There's an anthropology forum over there somewhere that may interest you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Sit on the red line luas for the day.
    You'll need more than one notebook!

"What-cha wriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitin' theyore buuuuuuuuuuuuuud?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

boards:ie

its fascinating:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

Yea Red line luas is great for people watching but always choose a seat you can get out of easily.
    Anywhere in an airport (arrivals gate, departures, bus stops)
    bus stations
    Early evening in town pre-drinks V's post drinks!

People watching is a great passtime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Abbey St ya big voyeur :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

You can watch me if you like, sweetcheeks. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

'People watchers' bug the fuck out of me.

Mind your own business!

Drive by shooting is what those fucks need that sit out side cafes staring at everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Outside Coppers at 3am. Although maybe you're drifting into the field of zoology there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭claire983

Unless you work in a creche, or studying some form of Childhood Education in college there is no way you would be allowed in a creche to observe children.. You might get the parents permission to do so , but no guarantees you will get the creches permission to be on the premises without it being work related or a placement in the creche..

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Dundrum town centre, count the amount of people who go on esculators.

I would no advise doing it in or around schools though

these adds might help ya
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcyNANK5cY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15S0g8pG6HU&feature=fvwrel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Best people watchin' spot that I happened to observe is in the window of Q-bar at O'Connell Bridge. A few lads were in there watching ladies walk by and were rating them by holding up score cards! Hilarious to watch.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

The starbucks window on grafton st. You can buy a coffee or tea and stay for ages watching. My sister and brother were there before Christmas, they saw a person begging ( I wont say of which particular ethnicity but you can guess, its everyones favourite). Basically it was around the time of the snow and he had taken off his shoes and socks. They said the amount of people who gave him new socks and food was incredible. He would take the socks and stuff them in his jacket. Eventually the garda arrived and he left leaving his sandwich and tea he'd been given on the ground, ungrateful cheating bastard. As a result I will never give to another beggar again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Anywhere in James st. hospital. Or any A&E might be interesting!

I'd 2nd/3rd/4th the red Luas line idea!

A hotel lobby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Had to sit in the main entrance area of Limerick Regional hospital for a while earlier this week Had a great time, watching all the patients walk by and trying to guess what was wrong with them..........

Also watched the visitors come and go during visiting time, and marked them out of 10 (in my head) for their fashion sense. Track suit pants/white socks combo was an automatic zero (there was a lot of zero's:rolleyes:)

I fawking loves people-watching!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

The window of Bewleys upstairs on grafton street, ya see some funny stuffs. Same as starbucks mentioned above but people watching is more fun with better coffee.

The airport is the best one imo. Dunno what happens to people when they get there, high stress situations I suppose especially for infrequent flyers but people seem to lose the run of themselves and it equals lots of interesting scenarios.

Any pub/club-bathrooms in particular. The conversations and the preening are just comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In Cork, getting a seat in the window of LA Bagels on Oliver Plunkett Street.
    Great spot to watch people go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The green luas line is better.

A better standard of fanny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Also watched the visitors come and go during visiting time, and marked them out of 10 (in my head) for their fashion sense. Track suit pants/white socks combo was an automatic zero (there was a lot of zero's:rolleyes:)

jesus christ there's actually people like you in the world? maybe they were more concerned with the people they were visiting rather than how 'fashionably' they were dressed. :mad:

anyway I think the most interesting place could be a café or a park. that is if you can get close enough to hear people. would be interesting to see people on dates :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

there was a dogging thread there a while ago...

might be a few spots of interest in that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Supermarket. Then you can be nosey and use what they’re buying to make (accurate) judgements about their socio-economic group, living arrangements, country of origin, lifestyle and cooking abilities. And you might get to laugh at people there in their PJs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

foxyboxer wrote: »
    In Cork, getting a seat in the window of LA Bagels on Oliver Plunkett Street.
    Great spot to watch people go by.

Is that you? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

jesus christ there's actually people like you in the world? maybe they were more concerned with the people they were visiting rather than how 'fashionably' they were dressed. :mad:

Sorry, but skangers are far more interesting to watch than ordinary folk......... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

People watching is only acceptable if you're sitting outside a pub with a pint

Or in a Coffee shop in amsterdam with a....em......coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Stand at the LUAS stop beside the criminal courts and just listen to them. Jervis Centre is a good one too. As far as I know you can still sit in on the childrens courts in Smithfield too. By far the most interesting morning you'll ever have. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Neighbours,,, They fight like hell :D

Polish women beside me.... Hot Hot Hot..

Ugly naked guy..... Ok so i watch friends. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I always end up people watching if I'm in Subway alone even though I don't mean to. A mixture of how people order there food (manners), what they eat, and how they act if they're alone or with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

shudder :chills:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Aston Quay.

(I'm actually considering opening an Aston Quay Safari Experience for tourists. I'll supply the shotgun and jeep but you have to bring your own monocle and pith helmet.).

Advertisement