Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor sportsmanship from some British UFC fighters?

• 05-03-2011 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Now I know I'm going to get the " your generalising on them all " crowd, but some of the worst sportsmanship I have seen in the UFC has come from some of the UK's fighters -

* Bisping - his spitting and big mouth says it all

* Paul Daley - throwing a punch after the fight had finished at Koscheck (whom I also dislike but didn't go down to the level of Daley)

* Paul Kelly in UFC 126 when he went to touch gloves he falsely tried to land an over hand right. Claimed it was a 'mistake' etc afterwards :rolleyes:

So what can be done about this type of loutish behavior ? Dana White was far from impressed with Bisping, but unfortunately because of existing contracts etc couldn't really do much about it except fine him. Any thoughts lads ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Now I know I'm going to get the " your generalising on them all " crowd, but some of the worst sportsmanship I have seen in the UFC has from

* Bisping- his spitting and big mouth says it all
    * Paul Daley - throwing a punch at Koscheck (whom I also dislike) after the fight had finished
    * Paul Kelly in UFC 126 when he went to touch gloves he falsely tried to land an ouver hand right. Claimed it was a 'mistake' etc afterwards :rolleyes:

So, ha
    Daley & Kelly are both gone form the UFC now and Dana Whits has said that Bisping is in big trouble over what he did. That's the joy of MMA, build a bridge and get over it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

:)
    Daley & Kelly are both gone form the UFC now and Dana Whits has said that Bisping is in big trouble over what he did. That's the joy of MMA, build a bridge and get over it ;)
    Hopefully, disgusting behaviour. I'm not trying to troll, but I think a lot of this kind of " I am a superstar, I can do what I like " is what I call the Wayne Rooney or Roy Keane attitude. You see it almost week in, week out in soccer matches in the UK. Wasn't their quite a bit of loutish behavior at the Rangers V Celtic match mid week. Ok, handbags, but unsportsmanship all the same. Rugby for all it's genuine toughness and the odd 'dispute', has nothing like it when it comes to bad sportsmanship.

Hopefully Dana and the lads will sort it out. After all, we do want MMA to be a family sport ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

There's been plenty of bad sportsmanship in the sport. cerrone and Varner, Brock, Manny Gamburyan who faked a glove touch and kicked the guy in the process, Tito with his t-shirts, Kid Yamamoto has been known to be a bad sport, i've seen Mark Coleman try his best to continue to hit guys after the bell, i've seen Royce Gracie, BJ Penn, Babalu, Palhares and more hold onto submissions too long, i've seen Mike Kyle beat up his opponent after the fight is over and i've seen him beat up a referee, the same for Gilbert Yvel, Jeremy Horn once spit on Josh Burkman after a fight...............

How many of these guys are British?

You just chose a couple of instances where the common denominator was that they were British and tried to make an issue out of it.

How about guys Like Paul Taylor, John Hathaway etc who are nice guys? Silly thread IMO!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    There's been plenty of bad sportsmanship in the sport. cerrone and Varner, Brock, Manny Gamburyan who faked a glove touch and kicked the guy in the process, Tito with his t-shirts, Kid Yamamoto has been known to be a bad sport, i've seen Mark Coleman try his best to continue to hit guys after the bell, i've seen Royce Gracie, BJ Penn, Babalu, Palhares and more hold onto submissions too long, i've seen Mike Kyle beat up his opponent after the fight is over and i've seen him beat up a referee, the same for Gilbert Yvel, Jeremy Horn once spit on Josh Burkman after a fight...............

How many of these guys are British?

You just chose a couple of instances where the common denominator was that they were British and tried to make an issue out of it.

How about guys Like Paul Taylor, John Hathaway etc who are nice guys? Silly thread IMO!
    As per my OP - " some of the UK's fighters "

HellsAngel wrote: »
    As per my OP - " some of the UK's fighters "

What has British got to do with anything? Again, you just plucked a few British fighters are tried to make an issue.

Why not a "Some American Fighters" or "Some Brazilian fighters" or "Some Armenian Fighters"?

Because they would be silly threads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What has British got to do with anything? Again, you just plucked a few British fighters are tried to make an issue.

Why not a "Some American Fighters" or "Some Brazilian fighters" or "Some Armenian Fighters"?

Because they would be silly threads!

Well said , what about this choice piece from the recent past, ironically he is now in the UFC :D

Or this vintage piece

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

i've seen Royce Gracie, BJ Penn, Babalu, Palhares and more hold onto submissions too long

UFC 1 ken shamrock tapped out against royce then pretended it never happened, I think after that he held submissions until seen by the ref, can't blame him if opponents are dishonest

yammycat wrote: »
    UFC 1 ken shamrock tapped out against royce then pretended it never happened, I think after that he held submissions until seen by the ref, can't blame him if opponents are dishonest

I wasn't talking about him holding submissions until the ref saw them, I was talking about him holding onto submissions after the ref had told him to stop!

I wasn't talking about him holding submissions until the ref saw them, I was talking about him holding onto submissions after the ref had told him to stop!

a couple of seconds maybe, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, he released shamrock as soon as he tapped, the ref hadn't even seen it and then shamrock starts play acting, can't blame him for not taking chances

a couple of seconds maybe, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, he released shamrock as soon as he tapped, the ref hadn't even seen it and then shamrock starts play acting, can't blame him for not taking chances

Nobody takes chances in MMA. It's well established that, even if your opponent is out, you keepo the submission on until the ref stops it (g good example is the other night, Brian Bowles choking Demacio Page unconcious, telling the referee "he's out", and waiting for the ref to stop it before letting go).

But i've seen Royce choke guys and almost need to be dragged off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He isn't talking about shamrock, that was the semi final.
    Check out the next fight, Gordeau in the final

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4483041227456849880#

or at UFC 2 vrs Delucia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr3wA92kKNg

Mellor wrote: »
    He isn't talking about shamrock, that was the semi final.
    Check out the next fight, Gordeau in the final

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4483041227456849880#

or at UFC 2 vrs Delucia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr3wA92kKNg

You misunderstood, I was pointing out that gracie released on tap immediately when fighting shamrock, even b4 the ref saw it but then shamrock pretended it never happened, so gracie says feck this I'm not letting that happen again and didn't release on tap after that

You misunderstood, I was pointing out that gracie released on tap immediately when fighting shamrock, even b4 the ref saw it but then shamrock pretended it never happened, so gracie says feck this I'm not letting that happen again and didn't release on tap after that

Which would mean he'd wait for the ref to finish the fight before he released right? Makes sense?

Except, we're talking about times when the ref had called it, the fight is over, but he kept the locks on! Bad form!

But I digress, who cares? Point is here, he's from Brazil and not Britain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Yeah it's MMA and a new sport and every fighter is different blah blah...

They're still the English. Their professionals/fans behave like yobs in every sport in every country that's kind enough to invite them.

Just makes it all the more fun when they lose everything constantly.

Except Paul Daley, I like him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RNO

The worst I've seen was Aoki:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbp8xy_dynamite-2009-shinya-aoki-vs-mizuto_sport
    That's poor sportsmanship....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

There have been planty of bad sportsmen over the years in mma. I think the OP is getting too much stick about his comments about the British fighters, because he is right that 3 of the British guys have been involved in high profile incidents in the UFC within the past 10 months or so. If you dont want to discuss it dont join in.

Re Royce v Gordeau.............dont anyone pity Gordeau as he was known for his dirty tactics (he nearly blinded Yuki Nakai at Vale Tudo Japan 1995), Royce is on record saying he held the submission a bit longer cos Gordeau was fighting dirty, either eye gouging or pulling his hair during the fight.

stevemc01 wrote: »
    If you dont want to discuss it dont join in.

Don't be ridiculous! If we have valid points to put forward, we have every right to do so. We shouldn't have to refrain from posting just because we don't agree with the OP.

The OP decided to talk about dirty fighters, fine! But he said some of the worst sportsmanship he had seen was from British fighters.

He wasn't looking close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There have been planty of bad sportsmen over the years in mma. I think the OP is getting too much stick about his comments about the British fighters, because he is right that 3 of the British guys have been involved in high profile incidents in the UFC within the past 10 months or so. If you dont want to discuss it dont join in.

So we can't discuss it if we don't agree.
    GTFO

The Paul Kelly incident is hardly isolated btw

Don't be ridiculous! If we have valid points to put forward, we have every right to do so. We shouldn't have to refrain from posting just because we don't agree with the OP.

The OP decided to talk about dirty fighters, fine! But he said some of the worst sportsmanship he had seen was from British fighters.

He wasn't looking close enough.

The OP said some of the worst sportmanship that he has seen in the UFC has been from British fighters. So if we are talking recently (last year or 2) and not going back 15 or 16 years (different rules, different era) and we are talking UFC, he is correct. That also takes Pride, Strikeforce, Bellator, dream etc etc out of the conversation.

Off the top of my head I'd add Anderson Silva to the list too for his antics against Maia and Leites.

There are also some real classy British fighters, John Hathaway has been mentioned and I'd agree with that. But it doesnt hide the fact that there have bad moments by the UK guys over the past year.

Mellor wrote: »
    So we can't discuss it if we don't agree.
    GTFO

The Paul Kelly incident is hardly isolated btw

Dont get your knickers in a twist mate.

I've very rarely seen someone in the UFC(thats what the discussion is about) fake touching gloves at the start of a fight and try to punch someone in the face. I have seen it at local events in Ireland but thats not what we are talking about.

I'd be interested to see if anyone could actually come up with a worse case of bad sportsmanship than either the Daley/Bisping situations, that has happened in the UFC in the past 2 or 3 years.

Again the OP may just be trolling and if so we all look like idiots :)

The OP said some of the worst sportmanship that he has seen in the UFC has been from British fighters. So if we are talking recently (last year or 2) and not going back 15 or 16 years (different rules, different era) and we are talking UFC, he is correct. That also takes Pride, Strikeforce, Bellator, dream etc etc out of the conversation.

:rolleyes:

Well then he needs not to make threads like this.

Would it be ok for me to watch one football game, ignore all other leagues in the world, see a black player make a bad tackle and say "The sportsmanship from some black players is the worst i've ever seen".

If he hasnt seen much MMA, or much UFC, he doesn't qualify to make such sweeping statements!

PS: The UFC isn't MMA. Where he says "UFC" it really should be read as "MMA".

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Well then he needs not to make threads like this.

Would it be ok for me to watch one football game, ignore all other leagues in the world, see a black player make a bad tackle and say "The sportsmanship from some black players is the worst i've ever seen".

No that would be ridiculous, judging a person by the colour of their skin. (I can do :rolleyes: too).

What would be fair is if he watched say the premier league for a season and came to the conclusion at the end of that season, that, based on what he had seen, some defenders of XX nationality that played in that league kick the ankles off you. Its very similar to what he's done here.

Ahh yes you'd say but what about Serie A or La Liga, but similarly the comment was made about players who are specifically playing in the premier league.
    If he hasnt seen much MMA, or much UFC, he doesn't qualify to make such sweeping statements!

Why? He is entitled to make a comment on what he has seen in the UFC over the past year.

Again if you've seen anything worse than the Bisping/Daley incidents in the UFC in the past 2 years, tell me about them. I've mentioned A Silva, another that comes to mind is Babalu not letting go of the choke against David Heath but thats what? 4 years ago??

PS: The UFC isn't MMA. Where he says "UFC" it really should be read as "MMA".

I do realise that MMA is the sport (not UFC). Unless he is referring to incidents that happened outside of the UFC, then using UFC is fine.

No that would be ridiculous, judging a person by the colour of their skin. (I can do :rolleyes: too).

So judging them by their skin colour is ridiculous, but not their nationality? It's the same thing.
    What would be fair is if he watched say the premier league for a season and came to the conclusion at the end of that season, that, based on what he had seen, some defenders of XX nationality that played in that league kick the ankles off you. Its very similar to what he's done here.

Not if he said that "British fighters were the dirtiest" but others showed him that he was watching with blnkers and there were plenty of examples of every other nationality doing the same thing.

Why? He is entitled to make a comment on what he has seen in the UFC over the past year.

But that's not what he's done. Where did he say "Over the past year"? or "the past 2 years"? He said UFC, which has been running for the past 18 years. If he has only seen 1/18th of the UFC events, he is not qualified to make such sweeping statements about "The UFC".
    Again if you've seen anything worse than the Bisping/Daley incidents in the UFC in the past 2 years, tell me about them. I've mentioned A Silva, another that comes to mind is Babalu not letting go of the choke against David Heath but thats what? 4 years ago??

This is not the point. Again, he never said "in the past 2 years", he said "in the UFC".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Dude I thought about it and yes you are right OP

Dan Hardy - sh*t talker
    Michael Bisping - illegal knee, spitting and general douchebag (bring hendo back!)
    James McSweeney - cocky c*nt who was actually rubbish
    Paul Daley - hits guy after fight
    Paul Kelly - just looks like a scumbag chav

Obvious troll is obvious

Off the top of my head I'd add Anderson Silva to the list too for his antics against Maia and Leites.

There are also some real classy British fighters, John Hathaway has been mentioned and I'd agree with that. But it doesnt hide the fact that there have bad moments by the UK guys over the past year.

Dont get your knickers in a twist mate.

I've very rarely seen someone in the UFC(thats what the discussion is about) fake touching gloves at the start of a fight and try to punch someone in the face. I have seen it at local events in Ireland but thats not what we are talking about.

I'd be interested to see if anyone could actually come up with a worse case of bad sportsmanship than either the Daley/Bisping situations, that has happened in the UFC in the past 2 or 3 years.

Again the OP may just be trolling and if so we all look like idiots :)
    Exactly. All I said in my OP and repeated in post #5 is " some of the UK's fighters ". Of course you can get bad sportsmanship from any country* but the British fighters for the proportion of them in it have shown very bad sportsmanship.

*( and I mentioned in the OP that guy who some in Ireland who think he was a God or something, Roy Keane )

Dude I thought about it and yes you are right OP

Dan Hardy - sh*t talker
    Michael Bisping - illegal knee, spitting and general douchebag (bring hendo back!)
    James McSweeney - cocky c*nt who was actually rubbish
    Paul Daley - hits guy after fight
    Paul Kelly - just looks like a scumbag chav
    Well I don't like Hardy because he appears full of himself but he hasn't displayed bad sportsmanship in all fairness. James McSweeney is an ok guy, civil fella.

Advertisement