Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History project (word count)

Options
  • 05-03-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi there !
    Yesterday our history teacher gave us back the drafts of our extended essay for the history project. He said mine was very good, the only thing was that I hadn't written the word count.
    Here's the thing : the reason why I didnt write it down is that I have waaaaaaaay too many words (about 1800 without the review and the max is 1300). When I read it back this morning, I realised that absolutely everything was important and that I couldnt cut it in any way whatsoever...
    What am I supposed to do ? Can I lie about the word count when I hand it up in the real thing ? The examiners aint gonna count are they ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

The maximum is 1,500 not 1,300, I'm currently trying to cut mine down too, it came to around 2,400 or so words.

My advice would be to do your best to economise your language, or ask your teacher where you could cut out some stuff - mine did a pretty good job of pointing out unnecessary sentences which didn't add much to the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

The maximum is 1,500 not 1,300, I'm currently trying to cut mine down too, it came to around 2,400 or so words.

My advice would be to do your best to economise your language, or ask your teacher where you could cut out some stuff - mine did a pretty good job of pointing out unnecessary sentences which didn't add much to the piece.
    Unless s/he is doing OL. That word count is lower, not sure what it is exactly. You can go over, IMO anyway. I had 2200 (so 700 over). I just wrote around 2000. Still got full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nuggetclv

My teacher is an examiner. My essay came to just under 2000 words. He said write down 1650 or so words as the word count.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

I did 1792 words in my project last year, you're totally fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frenchy1992

The maximum is 1,500 not 1,300

I know but I dont have the review of the extended essay that's way I said 1300 max to have enough room for the review !

Anyway thanks everyone ! I'm relieved ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

I know but I dont have the review of the extended essay that's way I said 1300 max to have enough room for the review !

Anyway thanks everyone ! I'm relieved ! :)

Ah. apologies for that :), you should be grand anyway, I'm not sure they'll go and count every word, and the other posts in this thread seem to suggest that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

1800 is ok i'd say.... maybe try and cut down a little, but defo write that you had 1546 or something like that... the will not count the words, unless your squeezing your words in.
    Oh yes, keep that in mind, there are a certain amount of pages for each section.... and only one for both outline plan and sources. You can only use what you have.
    but 1800 shouldn't be too bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Zubby101

Im in a major pickle myself. My extended essay is 1580 words, outline plan is 400, and my sources are 400 words. I still need to do my review. Can someone please give me a required or suitable word count of each of the sections? Thanks in advance!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

There are three elements to the report:
    • The Outline Plan
    • The Evaluation of the Sources
    • The Extended Essay
    There is no word limit on the first two. The extended essay is recommended to be 1200 - 1500 words at Higher level. The instructions are on the back of the booklet, linked here: https://www.examinations.ie/exam/HistoryCourseworkJournal.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

At Higher Level the recommended length is 1500 words. Of that about 1250 should be the extended essay and about 250 should be the 'review of process' which comes at the end of the extended essay. Normally there is a 10% swing either way on the word count - so an overall range of 1350-1650 is regarded as acceptable.

You will lose marks if you get significantly over the word count - because it gives you an unfair advantage over people who stick to the word count and as a result the examiners will penalise you.

The Outline Plan and the Evaluation of Sources DO NOT form part of the word count - the restriction on both is that each must fit on one page in the project booklet. So for the Outline Plan and the Evaluation you use small writing (and make sure you stick to the lines on the page) and for the extended essay and review you can write as big as you want as long as you stick to the word count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Zubby101

Thank you I really appreciate the advice ðŸ‘

Advertisement