Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrs Newsagents

Options
  • 05-03-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm working on a project in the RCC in Letterkenny called 'Destination Donegal' and I'm looking for a photograph of the old Barrs newsagent on the main street. It's a long short but would anyone have one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Where abouts on the main street was it, don't remember it myself but there are a few accounts on flickr with sets dedicated to old photos of letterkenny, this one i remember link Don't know if its there or not, but when / if i find the other accounts i'll link them here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Thanks a million, it was near enough to where browse a while was and where the chemist is now from what I remember. I've already viewed that flikr page, they've almost every shop apart from barrs! if you do come accross the other ones i'd really appreciate it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was that the wee small one, kind of long and narrow. Just cant picture the outside or its exact location, but the names ringing a bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I think it was across the road from the post and towards the traffic lights a small bit, i've had no luck locating a photo anyways sorry beanstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Now there's a blast from the past..

Don't have a photo, but I remember the shop. If memory serves me, it was run by the Meehan family. If I'm right, then I believe some of them still live in the Oldtown area so they may be able to help you...

Two other sources would be:

- the editor of Letterkenny Christmas Annual. They always have the old photos..
    - a member of the Letterkeny Reunion committee

• Advertisement

No bother lads! Yeah it was a small shop, loud and narrow, really distinctive tiled floor. It was well known for being one of the first shops to get the derry people in on a thursday night! cheers anyway lads.

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    Now there's a blast from the past..

Don't have a photo, but I remember the shop. If memory serves me, it was run by the Meehan family. If I'm right, then I believe some of them still live in the Oldtown area so they may be able to help you...

Two other sources would be:

- the editor of Letterkenny Christmas Annual. They always have the old photos..
    - a member of the Letterkeny Reunion committee

You're right, it was run by the meehan family! and thanks for the advice, I think think i'll contact the reunion committee, thanks a million.

Advertisement