Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin counting Machines

Options
  • 05-03-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Where abouts in the city can I find a coin counting machine and does any one know what percentage they take? I just did a house clean up and have a shopping bag full of coppers.

I thought I remembered reading an old thread about this before ages ago but can't find it if I search.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

The spar shop in newpark shopping centre has one behind the till's.I think its a 12% commission but not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WDW1111

I've been told that St Canices Credit Union (High St branch) has just got one recently and the commission is only 3%. I only have the info 2nd hand so can't vouch for it and you probably have to be a member to use it (guessing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I would happily pay 3% for such a service, so if that's the case, then fair play to them.

The one in Eurospa charges 12.5%. My money jar has about a hundred quid in it... would it cost me more than €12.50 to count it all, put it in those little baggies, drive into town and queue up in the bank with it?

Hmm.... there's a lot to be said for convenience.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I saw the one in the eurospar and thought it was a tasty chunk of commission. Also, doesn't it offer you a receipt/voucher that you have to use at the shop on the day or something? That's not as useful as getting 'proper' money back...

I have recently sorted out mine and have about €140 all sorted and bagged so I'm not about to give away a handy chunk of that... I'll wait until I need to go to the bank for something else. Does the credit union accept bagged-up coin to lodge because that would suit me, especially at mcDonut branch?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've bagged it and changed it in the pub, they welcome it. If you're a regular in a pub they'd probably gladly take it off your hands, except 1s and 2s or even if you've a friend who owns a shop.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Edit: I see that you can redeem your receipt on the day @eurospar for real money or spend it on stuff. But 12.5%... no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Yeah even the IMF don't charge 12.5% interest.
    If you're a regular in a pub they'd probably gladly take it off your hands, except 1s and 2s or even if you've a friend who owns a shop.

But the whole point is to get rid of the 1 and 2 cent coins. Sure the other stuff is easy to count and bag.

Can we get a definitive answer from someone regarding the Credit Union rate of interest soon pls? Any povs need to get a washing machine loan next week or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Credit union now have one, theres a commision charge for both members and non members, i believe its 10% for non members.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The one in Supervalu is also 12.5% - which is extortionate. Sod giving it to them for profit - get the full money yourself in the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

WDW1111 wrote: »
    I've been told that St Canices Credit Union (High St branch) has just got one recently and the commission is only 3%. I only have the info 2nd hand so can't vouch for it and you probably have to be a member to use it (guessing).

Its 3% for members and 10% for non-members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

I think it depends how much you value your time.

It took me two hours to count €200 worth of change.

If I took it to the Supervalue in Churchtown they would charge me 10%, €20.

I will never count change again, total pain in the ass. I would gladly pay someone, something €10 an hour to count it for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tishiewishie

Some Tesco's have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

No way would I count €200 in 1's, 2's, 10's and 20's. I always am glad to pay the 12.5%.

Something I have never done which I often meant to, is to put in a set amount of change into the machine and see does it match up with what the machine says. Sometimes I think its lying to me!

3% commission in the Credit Union for members is excellent value!

Advertisement