Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a freesat box with recording

• 05-03-2011 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I cancelled sky. I had an old box and after 10 years of paying 30 euro a month I have decided to go freesat.

I have been looking on amazon.co.uk but i am being a bit overwhelmed with boxes.

I have never had a sky+ box but would like a modest recording facility on a freesat box.
    I was thinking of this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-Freeview-playback-Recorder-PVR-9150T/dp/B001EBQGIO/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299343140&sr=1-8

I intend to use my current sky dish. I also intent to get an ariel for Irish channels. I have a modern 720 Tv. 32" regza(junk)

My max budget for a box is 150sterling .

Im sure they all do the same job , but knowing what box is easy to live with would be a massive help , with regards to tuning , how handy is the reote to master and so on.

Thanks!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I cancelled sky. I had an old box and after 10 years of paying 30 euro a month I have decided to go freesat.

I have been looking on amazon.co.uk but i am being a bit overwhelmed with boxes.

I have never had a sky+ box but would like a modest recording facility on a freesat box.
    I was thinking of this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-Freeview-playback-Recorder-PVR-9150T/dp/B001EBQGIO/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299343140&sr=1-8

I intend to use my current sky dish. I also intent to get an ariel for Irish channels. I have a modern 720 Tv. 32" regza(junk)

My max budget for a box is 150sterling .

Im sure they all do the same job , but knowing what box is easy to live with would be a massive help , with regards to tuning , how handy is the reote to master and so on.

Thanks!;)
    Straight away, that box is no good for you, it is a Freeview box, which is UK terrestrial which you will only receive in limited areas in Ireland. You need a Freesat box. I don't use one so can't recommend any, but be wary of the difference between Freesat and Freeview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That one is the biz. Where the hell did your last post go?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

That one is the biz. Where the hell did your last post go?:confused:

sorry. I think it was also a freeview .http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Humax-PVR9300T/

So i deleted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

one of these is what you need for freesat

Is your tv Mpeg 4 compatible ?

if its not you will need a box for the irish channels as well,

You can go for a combo. (have a look at the Terrestrial forum) for more info on these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

B & Q are doing a freeview box and dish at the moment for €50, takes a usb memory key for recording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sorry for giving you the wrong info. The Amazon description led me to believe it was freesat. Keep looking at the Humax boxes. They are the best available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

B & Q are doing a freeview box and dish at the moment for €50, takes a usb memory key for recording.

no they are not.

It's a Generic FTA satellite box.

Also Freeview = Branded box & Service via aerial
    Freesat = Branded box & Service via Dish.

Generic boxes are a pain and lacking in important features.

John mac wrote: »
    one of these is what you need for freesat

Is your tv Mpeg 4 compatible ?

if its not you will need a box for the irish channels as well,

You can go for a combo. (have a look at the Terrestrial forum) for more info on these.

I think it is here is the spec. http://bebefore.com/toshiba-32av635d/specifications.html

Thats whats got me thinking of freesat. Was there today and was going to buy, but my wife told me to go home and do my homework first.
    TBH I like the idea of freesat over the free to air thing. It looks a whole lot less hassle in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Humax foxsat HDR 320gb is what you want. Argues in newry do them for about £250. I think the guys on the richer sounds forum here do them a little cheaper.

I have one since before Christmas and it's an excellent box. Channel4 hd is coming to Freesat at the end of the month too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Humax make a cheaper one with a single tuner, if money is tight.

... but go with the twin tuner if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

Humax direct sales do a 'Grade A' Humax HDR......good value for money
    The Skyman

I got my name on this . http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/humax-fox-sat-hd-satellite-receiver/466289#comments

I think for 85 euro I did ok. I know its not exactly what I wanted , but if I can live with this then an upgrade is on the cards.

thanks for all your advise .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Just to give you heads up, Humax box on adverts.ie has no recording function but is decent, have one myself.

You'll often be able to pick up freesat+ PVR's second hand for £130stg 'buy it now' price and even less at auction.

Most sellers agree to ship to Ireland if asked before you purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sagem-Freesat-plus-/290541303867?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item43a59c783b#ht_823wt_1006

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sagem-DTR94250S-250GB-Freesat-HD-Recorder-/220749806550?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3365b6bbd6#ht_1064wt_1006

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sagem-DTR94500S-500gb-Freesat-HD-Satellite-Recorder-/300533019731?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item45f929f453#ht_1242wt_1006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you are looking to buy new for £150 then it will more than likely be a cheaper branded one like Bush, and even then you might struggle to get it for that price:
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/products/freesat-box-range

Looks like you might have to go the 2nd hand route, unless you can pick up a refurb one or something off eBay.

I got that Humax Fox-sat HD box tonight. Second hand.

Plugged it in. Put in a UK post code. Serched for FreeSat service and BINGO.

Plugged straight into the sky dish formally set for SKY TV.

I wish I had Eurosport for MotoGP. Is there any options other than internet? Can this box pick up Eurosport?

Im very impressed with the HD and the channel selection. Recommended as a free alternative to paying Sky Tv.

Thanks for all advise so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I got that Humax Fox-sat HD box tonight. Second hand.

Plugged it in. Put in a UK post code. Serched for FreeSat service and BINGO.

Plugged straight into the sky dish formally set for SKY TV.

I wish I had Eurosport for MotoGP. Is there any options other than internet? Can this box pick up Eurosport?

Im very impressed with the HD and the channel selection. Recommended as a free alternative to paying Sky Tv.

Thanks for all advise so far

BBC Two for Moto GP, every round. Moto 2 and 125s on red button live. No ads. No interruptions. No subs.
    This box cannot pick up Eurosport, that's pay tv. Freesat is Freesat not paysat.
    If you want Eurosport, get your hand in your pocket, and contribute to Mr. Murdoch's pension scheme, he needs you to help him buy out Sky.;)

Roll on a fit Rossi on the Ducati. Stoner won't know what hit him, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Have 3 Humax HD PVR in the family. I have 2, first one new in 2009 (285 Sterling)then bought a grade B in 2010. Found them easy to use with auto updates via satellite. Two tuners ,Great 8 day EPG set to freesat I have 3 HD channels with more to come. I had a Fortec star Passion HD in the past which was good but no PVR in it. My Son got one in Jan (249 sterling new)

excollier wrote: »
    BBC Two for Moto GP, every round. Moto 2 and 125s on red button live. No ads. No interruptions. No subs.
    This box cannot pick up Eurosport, that's pay tv. Freesat is Freesat not paysat.
    If you want Eurosport, get your hand in your pocket, and contribute to Mr. Murdoch's pension scheme, he needs you to help him buy out Sky.;)

Roll on a fit Rossi on the Ducati. Stoner won't know what hit him, again.

Gosh . I forgot about the red button thang.

Thanks for the info. But I have to object to your twisted view of our next world champ to be. Mr Stoner. :D;)

Gosh . I forgot about the red button thang.

Thanks for the info. But I have to object to your twisted view of our next world champ to be. Mr Stoner. :D;)

He's a big girl's blouse.
    When the going gets tough, Stoner falls off and blames Rossi.
    A fast rider, but doesn't like close company on the track.
    A new Rossi he will never be.

haymur wrote: »
    Have 3 Humax HD PVR in the family. I have 2, first one new in 2009 (285 Sterling)then bought a grade B in 2010. Found them easy to use with auto updates via satellite. Two tuners ,Great 8 day EPG set to freesat I have 3 HD channels with more to come. I had a Fortec star Passion HD in the past which was good but no PVR in it. My Son got one in Jan (249 sterling new)

I have the Humax HDR too. Superb machine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement