Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples reaction from your service in the British Army?

• 05-03-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

How did people react to your decision to join the British Army; Like family, friends and distant relatives?

I remember years ago and someone was working on our house, he was telling us about his time in the British Army and I just found it very interesting.

I'd also like to know what employers might think about it; If one were to come back to Ireland after serving in the British Army, like future career prospects? I have a level 8 Science degree and I am hopping to get a Commisssion in an infantry reg. I have applied for the Irish Cadetship and I am going to apply for the British army as well just to keep my options open.

I know it is pretty irrelevent what other people think, but I'd be interested here your experiences

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

My cousin hasn't encountered any major problems with it yet, his friends will give him abuse about being in the BA but you'll always a get a small bit of it in Ireland, he hasn't gotten any major abuse or comments from people, a lot of people respect his decision because he joined during the recruitment ban. I'm not in the BA myself yet, but if it's any use to you for the most part when I tell people I plan to join, most are supportive to a certain degree, get the occasional slagging but you'll have to expect that. It certainly seems the reaction of people is improving thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm currently going through the application process and most people i've told are generally supportive. I'm far more likely to get "But you could be killed in Afghanistan" rather than the "But what about the Famine,IRA blah blah" stuff when i do tell people.

I've only had one person go on at me with that tripe but she was only a friend of a friend and she wasn't really aggressive about it just more she couldn't understand why. I don't think it's a big deal to most people in this country anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

sounds like you want to show off to people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

effluent wrote: »

not really, he's asking if he'll be able to come back to Ireland and build a decent life if people know that he was in the BA.

for most of those who join from Ireland the answer, from my experience, is yes (as long as you aren't stupid about it), but for a couple of people i know the answer is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

effluent wrote: »

Quite the contrary, I was refering to people who are bound to know; I can't exactly take off in the middle of the night without telling anyone and I have to gain employment in the "after life". I guess I would just be very coy about it really.

I guess family and good friends would be more concerned about you being in harms way, and most people would probably appreciate that the option of joining the IDF may not be there. I would be interested in what employers might make of it? Though it could just be down to there discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I joined the BA in the late 80's so I guess things have changed as I told my family I was off to Germany to work on a building site:rolleyes: My dad didnt talk to me for 6 years:mad:

Some of my family never knew I joined the BA until I was recorded by my cousin on TV when I was in Bosnia and that made the rounds round the family.

Anyway future employment is not much of a issue, there are downsides but the positives far out way any negatives. I now work for a Global IT company and my military service is seen as a positive especially an ex officer, promotion is rapid if you are switched on and there is no comparison between a civi and a ex serviceman in the workplace. Trust me your cv after a few years service will look great when compared to a civi.

I have had some bad experiences from Irish employers in the past, well two. First one called me to interview and tried for 30 minutes to humiliate me for my service and sent me packing. The second one was mild by comparison as the manager apologized that he could not hire me due to some conflict of interests in the workplace if they hired me. Both of these were Munster based business (Cork and Kerry) and I never had an issue in Dublin.

Leaving the service is fairly tough and stressful, the military gives you a great skill set however what you are missing is civi or commercial experience. I had to start fairly low down the ladder because of this (much lower salary :-()but the ex serviceman really stands out from the Civi and it does not take long to fly up the ladder.

Advertisement