Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - Head vs Heart ;)

Options
  • 05-03-2011 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,

I have to sell my 2 door car and get something that'll fit a baby seat & the rest. including my trade-in I have a budget of 15K and after looking online & touring some garages today I'd like a bit of help choosing between........

1. Heart - 2006 2.0TDI 140BHP S-Line Audi A4 Avant, lovely looking & drives well and has leather to boot. 112KM's though and the paint work needs a touch up in areas

2. Head - 2006 318D SE 2.0. Looks good, is in great nick and only has 55KM's.

The BMW is the best choice on paper as the specs are similar and the mileage is half but the Audi was great craic to drive - am I mad considering the Audi especially as the dealer is looking for about 600€ more. I always get swayed by looks :)

Would be good to hear from people who have experience of either car - this would be my first diesel,

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

dinny_c wrote: »
    Hey,

I have to sell my 2 door car and get something that'll fit a baby seat & the rest. including my trade-in I have a budget of 15K and after looking online & touring some garages today I'd like a bit of help choosing between........

1. Heart - 2006 2.0TDI 140BHP S-Line Audi A4 Avant, lovely looking & drives well and has leather to boot. 112KM's though and the paint work needs a touch up in areas

2. Head - 2006 318D SE 2.0. Looks good, is in great nick and only has 55KM's.

The BMW is the best choice on paper as the specs are similar and the mileage is half but the Audi was great craic to drive - am I mad considering the Audi especially as the dealer is looking for about 600€ more. I always get swayed by looks :)

Would be good to hear from people who have experience of either car - this would be my first diesel,

Cheers

Really, you thought the A4 was the better drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Personally i'd go for audi. Reason: 1- front wheel drive car, 2-cheaper parts and servicing. 3-good looking car.

Bmw not bad... but... 3rd model i think has less space than in Audi, id say diesel consumption rear wheel car will be higher than audi (front wheel drive car), and parts bit expensive... just because it is bmw. ... also really hard drive in winter time.

Audi. that the way to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Normally I would say BMW but I've an awful horn for Avant Audi's, but only if it's a Quattro.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In all fairness non of them. I wouldnt thing price wise on parts it will be much difference. Audi is very bad for prices. For 15k you might get something better.

Dont know if that bmw diesel is even good. Someone with same car could give better info on that m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Personally i'd go for audi. Reason: 1- front wheel drive car, 2-cheaper parts and servicing. 3-good looking car.

:)

Don't know where your're coming from there mate but I've had both a 3 series and an A4 and I found the BMW cheaper to service and got better treatment from BMW dealers. One of the main reasons I would be reluctant to buy an Audi again was the terrible aftersales service I got from several dealers.

Also many prefer rwd myself included

Granted the A4 is a better looking car but the BMW IMHO is a better drivers car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

veetwin wrote: »
    Don't know where your're coming from there mate but I've had both a 3 series and an A4 and I found the BMW cheaper to service and got better treatment from BMW dealers. One of the main reasons I would be reluctant to buy an Audi again was the terrible aftersales service I got from several dealers.

Also many prefer rwd myself included

Granted the A4 is a better looking car but the BMW IMHO is a better drivers car.

to be honest, for 15 k euros , you'd get brand new vw polo with diesel engine (1.6) with scrappage scheme as i did myself last year for my wife . really enjoy that car, also roadtax 104 a year, and in average 5.5 litres diesel in city driving. We are saving over 1 k euro a year, to compare our old car. No doubt bmw better quality, might service ... but money wise i wouldn't take, unless enough money in pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

to be honest, for 15 k euros , you'd get brand new vw polo with diesel engine (1.6) with scrappage scheme as i did myself last year for my wife . really enjoy that car, also roadtax 104 a year, and in average 5.5 litres diesel in city driving. We are saving over 1 k euro a year, to compare our old car. No doubt bmw better quality, might service ... but money wise i wouldn't take, unless enough money in pocket.

People considering a BMW or an Audi aren't going to buy a brand new Polo...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Had a 318 for a week and it was the most boring car ive ever driven.The only pleasure i got was giving it back.Horrible to look at,horrible to drive.Never had the Avant but its much better to look at and the interiors of Audi's way nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dinny_c

Cheers for the info lads - wasnt sure if it was just me but the BMW just seemed very flat - I'll try to take it for a spin again during the week maybe

Am I over thinking the mileage (55KM's in the BMW V 112KM's in the Audi) - is 112KM's nothing for a Diesel 06 Audi?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

112KM on the diesel Audi is about average milage for a 5 year old car.I personally wouldnt be too concerned but a bit bias as i've double that on my 2006 A6 2.0tdi 140bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

thats not an advantage, unless you dont know how to drive.

OP - perhaps a 320d or go mad , save yourself a bucket load on buying the car and get someting like a 330 :D, the money you saved will tax it for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Just buy the BMW, or any BMW. Get a 320d or something.

Mar4xis' logic is a bit strange...why would a RWD diesel have higher fuel consumption than a FWD diesel?

Also, I've always found parts reasonably priced for BMW (as long as you don't go near dealers).

Advertisement