Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the need of a lintel?

• 05-03-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi folks, just a question regarding whether we need a lintel to put a 51 cm wide window into a 2 foot wide old concrete wall or because the window is so narrow there is no danger of the wall falling. What's the maximum space for which lintel is not necessary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

daffandil wrote: »
    Hi folks, just a question regarding whether we need a lintel to put a 51 cm wide window into a 2 foot wide old concrete wall or because the window is so narrow there is no danger of the wall falling. What's the maximum space for which lintel is not necessary?

I don't think you will get an answer for this one, as it has a structural element to it, And Tom will not be far away with a big lock;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Are you cutting a window into a Wall or is there one there already. If the Wall was constructed with the window ope in it then it may be alright, as it would have been reinforced at that point. However here is what I would do. If it is a new ope you are putting in then I would put a Lintel in . For what it costs about 10 Euro for a lintel it safeguards against any further problems down the line and provides peace of mind. It's such a small opening just cutting out for the lintel is not a problem. Just have everything ready to go before you start. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

describe what u mean by a 2' wide concrete wall.

I would put in the steel lintel but the wall type will determine how its best done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 daffandil

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the replies,just to clarify that the wall is slightly over 2ft wide{deep}and is pre 1970's,you might call it mass concrete but nothing like today's stuff.When you say put in a lintel here do you mean just over the window itself or a lintel spanning more or less the 2ft width of the wall?I guess its the latter right?

Hi, Are you sure it's a 2ft Concrete Wall. Walls that thick are usually made of Stone and Cement. If it were a big opening then I would be a little worried opening it up. But as it's only 20 inches wide then you should be ok. I would put in two 12 Lintels supporting the whole Wall. Set you Window in, then just Plaster a Reveal around all the exposed stonework.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 daffandil

Yes Sky6 you're right - it is stone and cement. I'm a little green about these matters. By the way I'd hardly need to use needles for this job, is that right?

I wouldn't think you would need to use needles. But it really depends on the condition of the Wall. If it is a good dry and solid wall then you should be ok.
    As I said previously, Get everything ready, Cut out the Wall with a Consaw on either side of the Wall. You most likely Kango Hammer to finish the cut out as the Consaw will only go so Deep. Again it may be better to drill holes in the wall where to Lintel is going to reduce to mass of material in the Wall. Use Two 12 inch Lintels to support the Wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

break just enough on one side for one lintel and fit let set then the other side less chance of anything over head coming loose you mite have to use two 9inch and one 4 inch lintels

Advertisement