Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with a hungry baby...

• 05-03-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My partner and I are worried with our 3 week(almost 4) old baby girl. The problem is she's taking over 4 oz every feed and sometimes still hungry. We've had to take the bottle away after 4 oz because she vomits most of it back up, its obviously too much for her but she keeps guzzling anyway! At night she goes 4-5hrs without waking up but during the day she goes only 3 hrs sometimes less before looking for a bottle. She's being fed SMA and we're thinking of switching to aptamel to see if it helps. Is it ok to change a babies formula after 4 wks of SMA?
    The health nurse said she should be taking only 2 and a half oz at this age and to only give her that much, which is impossible because she brings the roof down! Also her poo is dark green which, according to websites, means she's taking too much milk. Anyone experience this before or have any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

dont know much about it to be honest(being the father)but our little fella is 4wks and is on aptimel he was on 4 ozs first 3 wks but now we have him on the hungry baby(aptimel) 5 ozs your baby seems to be sleeping ok our fella sleeps maybe 2hrs at a time during the day and around 3hrs at night b4 every feed starts drinking the bottle like he was never fed b4 then slows down and mite only have 2-3 ozs b4 drifting off again and repeating the whole thing over again every baby is diff anyway id say there is no set rule
    is there a hungry baby formula in sma? if so try that

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xxkazxx

Hi,
    I wouldn't worry about the amount your baby is taking my lil girl was the same always hungry never went the 4 hours without a bottle,3 hours is actually pretty normal apparently!. As my doctor puts it babys wont over eat they will drink what they need and throw up what they dont want!i would say if you are thinking of switching to aptimil go for the hungry baby milk because aptimil is the closest formula to breast milk so therefore its lighter then sma.it shouldn't be a problem switching it might take a week or so for you to see results so just stick with it! Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

hi,
    if you have to switch foods, make sure you give her a cool bottle of boiled water before the switch, also i gave my children cool water in between bottles as sometimes they are just thirsty.
    I think as a rule babies will drink even when they are not hungry, so i would try the cool water first.. mammy to 6 from 30 years old to 6 years old...lol. x good luck;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

Wailin wrote: »
    Hi,

. We've had to take the bottle away after 4 oz because she vomits most of it back up, its obviously too much for her but she keeps guzzling anyway!

I would actually go to the GP to mention this ... my second baby was quite like this - fed and fed and fed only to vomit it back up. It ended up there were reflux issues - he was getting relief when sucking/feeding and so would over-feed and then vomit it all back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

GoerGirl wrote: »
    I would actually go to the GP to mention this ... my second baby was quite like this - fed and fed and fed only to vomit it back up. It ended up there were reflux issues - he was getting relief when sucking/feeding and so would over-feed and then vomit it all back up.

We were thinking it may be reflux issues because it seems she feeds so much to soothe herself. How is the reflux problem sorted if you dont mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I had a similar problem with my little guy, SMA didn't agree with him, Aptamil - same problem, Cow & Gate...happy baby. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

Hiya

babies with reflux will drink a lot to ease the discomfort which then has the knock on effect of making them throw up.
    Switching from SMA to Aptamil is certainly not going to help the hunger issue because Aptamil is a much lighter milk.

I have just noticed that this thread is a couple of weeks old so sorry if the information is no good to you now.

I would suggest using a thicker formula such as Cow and Gate Comfort.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Our daughter had reflux too and we used baby gaviscon in each bottle. Ask your GP or the chemist what they would recommend

Advertisement