Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binge Eating Disorder Support Group for the West

Options
  • 05-03-2011 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey,
    I've been suffering from Binge Eating Disorder for years now, along with depression and it's not easy, anyway basically I would love to know are there any support groups out there for people like me, I'm already in therapy but I believe talking with others in a group would really help me. I have been talking with online support groups and the only other groups I've seen is overeaters annonymous and they are in Dublin and Limerick, however living in Mayo does not make that easy.

And I know there are a lot of you out there who do actually suffer from this too, and may be too ashamed or guilty to admit it, or actually not realise what it is because aneroxia and bulimia get so much recognition but this disorder, although more common; doesn't and I get how hard it is, believe me, and if you feel you do suffer from it, check out bodywhys.ie it could really help to put a "name with the face".

Anyway just wondering if anyone knows of any live supportgroups in the west or someone who could help?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

There is one, according to Bodywhys in Galways http://www.bodywhys.ie/supportServices/support-groups/.

Also one I know of in Limerick

http://www.nirvanatherapycentre.com/group

On my own journey, I found some groups helped, whereas others didn't. I found if there was a strong focus on behaviours, it was counter productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭lauren12

Thanks Mystical Soul,
    I know the bodywhys one doesn't talk about specific disorders but the feelings around the disorder...what has been taken from them, etc you can't mention numbers or behaviours and Limerick really would be too far for me to go.

I might try the Galway one and see how I get on with it. I really am at the end of my rope with this one, I feel like my life has been taken and I just want it back.:(

I don't know if you've been through an ED, but you mentioned your journey, so I hope you are doing well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Thanks Lauren for your kind words. I have been recovered for quite a few years now, and have no temptations whatsoever to resort to old behaviours. Full recovery is completely possible, despite what you read in different sources, whether that be in psych literature, magazines etc.

Best of luck with your journey. I went to Bodywhys in Dublin, and found how productive it was, really depended on the facilitator. There were a couple of facilitators, if talk got around to behaviours, seemed to let it just go on, whereas other facilitators, seemed to have the necessary skills to keep it focused on what was underlying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭lauren12

That is so wonderful to hear. One day I hope to be like you and just think that was years ago and I'm so glad I'm not there anymore. cos I really don't want to be here, my life has been taken off me and i would do anything to get it back.

Thanks so much for replying, and you give me hope.

Advertisement