Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Clothes On Balcony!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think the problem is that many apartment owners have delusions of grandeur -- they still believe the sales brochure from 2006 that they're living in an "upmarket" "sophisticated" "high-class" "designer" development, you know the ones with the scantily clad models draped across the kitchen counters and all that. After all, they paid half a million euros for a one-bed shoebox in Darndale so they are entitled to a lifestyle corresponding to the price tag. They don't want the people who paid 100k for the same place or worse yet, renters *spit* moving in and bringing down the tone of the place with their bicycles and TV dishes and laundry.

Lol, I forgotton about those apartments by the Darndale Hilton, oops sorry I mean the Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel :rolleyes:

belmayne2fx2.png
    belmayne3gw6.png

Sure who couldn't resist to snap up one of these apartments in Belmayne :D
    I'll take two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

100% standard for washing not to be allowed on apartment balcony.

If you are new to apartment living this might seem odd, but it is very much the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Lol, I forgotton about those apartments by the Darndale Hilton, oops sorry I mean the Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel :rolleyes:

belmayne2fx2.png
    belmayne3gw6.png

Sure who couldn't resist to snap up one of these apartments in Belmayne :D
    I'll take two!

LMAO!

Did people actually buy into this BS???

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

CiaranC wrote: »
    Probably not, no. Unless its a danger or is derelict etc.

If you are happy to have people hanging out their knickers and bedsheets, storing broken down appliances and hanging tacky satellite dishes in common areas and balconies there are loads of flat complexes in Dublin which can accommodate you. The rent is dirt cheap also. Leave the rest of us to live in apartments which try and maintain a nice standard for all their residents. Its not snobbishness to want to have aesthetically nice surroundings where you live, its conducive to a better quality of life.
    Ugh, satellite dishes, how tacky and lower class. Why can't these people follow the example of their betters and pretend they don't have any laundry?

Are you Ross O'Carroll-Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Probably not, no. Unless its a danger or is derelict etc.

If you are happy to have people hanging out their knickers and bedsheets, storing broken down appliances and hanging tacky satellite dishes in common areas and balconies there are loads of flat complexes in Dublin which can accommodate you. The rent is dirt cheap also. Leave the rest of us to live in apartments which try and maintain a nice standard for all their residents. Its not snobbishness to want to have aesthetically nice surroundings where you live, its conducive to a better quality of life.

It's not snobbishness? You could have fooled me.
    How does somebody drying their clothes on their balcony equate to a lower quality of life?
    You need to shake of the delusions of grandeur.

I worry to think what you do when you have to take your bins out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It has nothing to do with grandeur, it has to do with the bottom line that rules are rules. You may think they are ridiculous, I may think that they are fair or vv..it doesn't matter if we have both signed up to them we are both bound to them.

Some people may think it's about standards and appearances. It's not. We buy/rent where we think suits us.

Rules like these exist in 99% of apartment complexes and managed developments, if they are not to your liking, try renting a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

It's not snobbishness? You could have fooled me.
    How does somebody drying their clothes on their balcony equate to a lower quality of life?
    You need to shake of the delusions of grandeur.

I worry to think what you do when you have to take your bins out.

You are so wide of the mark here it's not true. It's pretty clear that you must be new to apartment living and do not realise that this is standard practice in almost every apartment block in the country.

With respect you are not listening to the advice you came here to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

Nevore wrote: »
    If your landlord didn't tell you about it, I'd move, as far as I'm concerned that'd be grounds for breaking the lease and make sure your LL knows exactly why.
    If it happens to enough LLs they'd soon be banging on about it to the MC and this kind of idiocy would be done away with.
    this is probably bs, your landlord gives you a contract generally with all rules and regulations in it. if you dont bother to read it then tough shiit.
    lived in many apts in the last 6 years and none have let us put stuff on the balcony, except HSQ which has half enclosed balcony which is really useful

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OK; so what are the balconies for then, please? I presume you are not allowed to grow flowers there etc etc etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ugh, satellite dishes, how tacky and lower class. Why can't these people follow the example of their betters and pretend they don't have any laundry?

Are you Ross O'Carroll-Kelly?
    Im a working class bloke from Tallaght, living in reasonably priced private apartment and shared space style accommodation in a working class area in the south inner city. So kind of like Ross O'Carroll Kelly yeah. My neighbours are ordinary working people, Irish, eastern European and from the Indian subcontinent, who are all very nice and respectful of each other and the rules of living in such an environment. They dont play loud music at unsociable hours, they dont park in my parking space, they dont use common areas and balconies as storage areas, they dont mount electrical equipment on common walls and they dont hang their smalls out for everyone to see.

I dont know if you lads are just up from the country or what, but these rules are common to practically all accommodation with shared spaces in Dublin, Ireland and indeed, everywhere else in the western world. It has nothing to do with the celtic tiger or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Hyacinth Bucket (it's Bouquet!) and her hosting of executive style candlelight suppers springs to my mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres a halting site on Belgard Road, right by where I work, that also prohibits hanging laundry outside, storing appliances outside and hanging satellite dishes off your caravan. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK; so what are the balconies for then, please? I presume you are not allowed to grow flowers there etc etc etc?

Looking outside I can see tables , chairs and plants on the balconies outside. I can't see any hanging baskets etc, probably not allowed because of the insurance conditions.

Most people seem to sit on their balcony to read the newspaper/book or listen to the radio, though the weather hasn't been the best recently

Nevore wrote: »
    If your landlord didn't tell you about it, I'd move, as far as I'm concerned that'd be grounds for breaking the lease and make sure your LL knows exactly why.
    If it happens to enough LLs they'd soon be banging on about it to the MC and this kind of idiocy would be done away with.

It's not quite as straightforward as that. A lot of these rules are there because of what is in the leases that the owners are a party to, eg the 999 year lease with the management company. It might be possible to get these rules changed at the AGM, but it could take 100% agreement of the owners.

"Investors" (landlords) generally have a poor attendance record at Management Company AGMs. As a group, they also tend have a poorer record in paying the service charges necessary for the proper running of the complex..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

...listen to the radio

Isn't that nois pollution? I mean emmitting sound from a balcony could disturb a nice quiet neighbourhood...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

still laughing at the poster who thinks common people live in flats and posh people live in apartments.
    You live in a flat get over it.

Isn't that nois pollution? I mean emmitting sound from a balcony could disturb a nice quiet neighbourhood...

Nah, as long as it isn't too loud. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jd wrote: »
    Looking outside I can see tables , chairs and plants on the balconies outside. I can't see any hanging baskets etc, probably not allowed because of the insurance conditions.

Most people seem to sit on their balcony to read the newspaper/book or listen to the radio, though the weather hasn't been the best recently

Hmmm.. would rather see clothes drying than this goldfish bowl idea..;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

No problem in my apartment to have clothes on balcony providing they are on a clothes horse so it's not the standard for all apartment buildings. Just the ones that people overpaid for and still think they live in dreamland located in the clouds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

In the complex I live in, the house rules state that clothes are not to be dried on the balconies.
    However, in reality people do, and none of the residents seem to have a major issue with it.

OP, if someone slipped a note under your door they obviously have feck all to be doing with their time!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Solair wrote: »
    The clothes rules are utterly ridiculous. It's extremely bad for the environment to dry everything in a tumble dryer and many apartments are only provided with a washer-dryer which is effectively a washing machine with a hairdryer attached. They're about as useless as a chocolate teapot and should be called an automatic-clothes crumpler as they invariably totally wreck your clothes too!

Drying clothes indoors on airers will cause mould and dampness issues.

Irish towns/cities also have no launderettes anymore.

So what are you supposed to do? Just buy new clothes and throw the old ones out?

Where do you live that there are no launderettes? :eek:

Clothes hanging outside apartments are unsightly and it is right not to allow this practice. Can you imagine if everyone started doing this, how unsightly it would look. As has been said why should people have to view others underwear etc. If people don't like it, they should really look to rent a house.

For quicker drying I tend to put on the wash at 11pm then get up at 730am to put on the dryer for half an hour (taking advantage of off peak rates) and then hang immediately beside a radiator. The half hour doesn't cost too much, greatly speeds up drying time and reduces smell of damp.

OP you should put your clothes out, wait by your door and when a note gets pushed under, push it right back out immediatly. See if they want to play push-a-boo all day.

Or better yet, open the door and tell them to **** right off :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I dont know if you lads are just up from the country or what, but these rules are common to practically all accommodation with shared spaces in Dublin, Ireland and indeed, everywhere else in the western world. It has nothing to do with the celtic tiger or anything else.

Which country do you refer to? I'm pretty sure most people are from (Republic of) Ireland. Obviously laws would vary in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If the landlord didn't tell you about these rules, let him get fined as a way of letting him know better in the future.

Then put a large picture of clothes drying on the balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Yawns wrote: »
    No problem in my apartment to have clothes on balcony providing they are on a clothes horse so it's not the standard for all apartment buildings. Just the ones that people overpaid for and still think they live in dreamland located in the clouds.

When you say not a problem do you mean it's not banned in leases or it's not enforced?

I meant that it is not banned. It's quite specific. Clothes may not be dried on a balcony unless on a clothes horse. So you can't just drape it over the rail. WHich is fine by me.

Got some lovely sunshine and half the apartments had clothes horses out. Both renters and owners. It also seems the clampers might have annoyed someone.

Either they no longer have a contract to clamp or someone just took down all their signs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Graces7 wrote: »

They're an impractical decorative feature.

They also don't like people to be visible inside the apartments. Children are of course banned or required to be housed in sound-proof boxes at all times. Pets are completely outlawed as they are another lower class item.

Ireland quite simply does not understand apartment living.

I've lived in apartments on the continent and :

1) line drying clothes was allowed on balconies and was normal and didn't look bad. Or, communal line drying space was provided on the roof. In Spain, many apartments have a huge balcony, part of which is screened off with louvers specifically to allow people to store items / line dry etc. When I lived in the United States in apartments there were always EXCELLENT and well maintained laundry facilities including full-sized commercial tumble dryers in a shared, managed area.

2) Apartments on the continent are actually managed by someone who has an office and a ground floor apartment. They are available for queries, keep the corridors tidy, and generally maintain the place quite well. They also preempt any maintenance problems and hire in people as necessary to carry out major work. You genuinely feel safe coming home to a tidy, well managed place.
    Where as in Ireland (and Britain usually too) you just pay enormous management fees which seem to go to line the pockets of some property developer who basically does nothing.

3) Residents committees - In any apartment complex I have lived in outside of Ireland in there have been active residents' committees. These ensured things were organised well, had regular meetings and even christmas parties and other events to ensure that everyone in the complex got to know each other.

4) Communal facilities - play areas / creches / elder care day centres / meals on wheels / optional cleaning services etc were all provided and organised through the property manager who lived on the ground floor.

5) Communication services : Telephone, cable tv, antenna direct-off-air TV and various broadband options were available in every apartment. Wiring was structured in such a way that you could access any of these facilities or access a communal antenna / dish on the roof or even install your own dish on the roof and hook it up to the wires feeding your apartment. Again, this was organized by the on-site manager. Basically there were 2 satellite-grade coaxial cables going to a connection point in a room on the roof. This had plugs for each apartment so you could decide to connect any of the services to your apartment.
    There was also a proper ducting system so that various services could be pushed through to any apartment as technology moved on e.g. if wiring needed to be upgraded or perhaps fibre became available.

6) Most continental apartments in my experience had excellent levels of insulation and also had building-wide central heating. For example, in Northern Spain many blocks have a combined-heat and power unit on the roof. This generates electricity which is sold into the power grid and used to supply some of the power in the building and the 'waste heat' is used to heat the apartments and provide hot water. Typically, this is provided by a commercial company who bill each apartment for their use of the facility and it works out as WAY WAY more reasonable than using your own central heating system in each apartment. Many newer blocks also had solar panels on the roof for hot water.

In general, apartment living in Ireland is badly organised and pretty crap. They were built for one purpose only : to make property developers piles of money.

The petty rules about laundry, satellite dishes etc are just utter nonsense and making people who have already paid through the nose for substandard accommodation suffer even more than they already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

We are not allowed to have bbqs, ?

is the building timber framed? because this could be for safety reasons, or the fact that the smoke form you BBQ could go into other people homes due to the close proximity of apartments.
    What bothers me is the legality of it, just because somebody threw it down on a lease doesn't mean it's right.

it may not be right but because its in a contract it is legal unless overturned by a court

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In this thread I've learned

Can't put a bicycle on the balcony
    Can't sit on the balcony and play the radio as that could be noise pollution in a "nice quiet neighbourhood"
    Can't put clothes outside
    Can't dry clothes inside the window where passersby may see them
    Can't have a barbecue but what about the common lawns outside?
    Can't park a commercial van, never mind that's how a tradesman earns a living

Over 50 posts in this thread and about half are more or less
    "That's the rules so just accept it"

When I lived in a student complex we had a manager on site to sort things as they happened.
    Seems in most estates you pay thousands to a management company who do little only stress petty nonsense like this

If you are happy to have people hanging out their knickers and bedsheets, storing broken down appliances and hanging tacky satellite dishes in common areas and balconies there are loads of flat complexes in Dublin which can accommodate you.

Because posh people live in apartments and poor people in flats. ;)
    Flats/apartments, it's all the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement