Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Clothes On Balcony!?

Options
13»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am not being funny but why would anyone buy/rent an apartment with all these rules :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

CiaranC wrote: »
    I dont know if you lads are just up from the country or what, but these rules are common to practically all accommodation with shared spaces in Dublin, Ireland and indeed, everywhere else in the western world. It has nothing to do with the celtic tiger or anything else.
    You haven't much lived outside of Ireland in appartments?
    Most of the ridieoulouse rules you'd find in Irish rental agreements (as well as leases between management companies and owners) would be loughted out of court if someone would try to enforce them in Germany for example (some landlord try to put some ridieoulouse rules in the lease, but that doesn't mean that they are enforcable by the landlord)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Out of interest, if you hung washing out and people complained, what exactly could be done about it? You own the balcony (or have a 1000 year lease on it), so if the managment company complained and you told them where to stuff it, can they realistically do anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

You are so wide of the mark here it's not true. It's pretty clear that you must be new to apartment living and do not realise that this is standard practice in almost every apartment block in the country.

With respect you are not listening to the advice you came here to get.

I'm not actually. I've been renting in Dublin for almost four years now, and this is the first time I've encountered this rule. I'm not saying it's not commonplace, just that I've never encountered it before.

I did indeed get the advice I came here for, but a discussion/debate has developed and I would like to discuss/debate it further.
    OP, if someone slipped a note under your door they obviously have feck all to be doing with their time!!
    Too true, like I said they were only out there twenty minutes before the note came under the door. To think that the huge management company fees that have to get paid, pay a salary for someone to do these things. But what really bugs me is that the letter was just a printed template with the appropriate 'offence' ticked in a box, and it was very aggressively worded.
    Faolchu wrote:
    is the building timber framed? because this could be for safety reasons, or the fact that the smoke form you BBQ could go into other people homes due to the close proximity of apartments.
    It could be either and it could be neither, but in my experience it's not an uncommon concept to have a bbq on your balcony. Now I'm not the type to be a nuisance to my neighbours but again it comes down to not being allowed to what you want (within the remit of the law) on property that you would be forgiven for thinking was your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You own the balcony (or have a 1000 year lease on it)
    No, you dont
    irishbird wrote:
    i am not being funny but why would anyone buy/rent an apartment with all these rules
    I wouldnt rent an apartment anywhere without them tbh
    mdebets wrote:
    You haven't much lived outside of Ireland in appartments?
    Ive lived in apartments in Ireland, England, Canada, Australia and France.

North America was by far the best, communal laundry facilities were the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No, you dont

Explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Explain.

It was said earlier that when folks buy* these apartments, the balconies remain the property of the management company, specifically so that they can command these rules.

*It was also said that many apartment buyers never really buy their apartments. The ownership of the apartments remains with the management company and the buyer is really buying a one thousand year lease, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Explain.

Usually a licence of use is granted (same goes for the car parking space)

http://www.mlaw.ie/news/168
    A Balcony

Normally the balcony is not conveyed to the Purchaser, instead the purchaser is granted a licence to use the balcony. The use of the balcony by the apartment Owners or Tenants is restricted to the permitted uses allowed as per the terms of the Lease Agreement with the Builder i.e., as set out in the title documentation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It could be either and it could be neither, but in my experience it's not an uncommon concept to have a bbq on your balcony.....

Actually I kinda agree with the no bbq rule on the apt balconies - I'm not against the concept of a bbq, but I really don't want to be sat on my balcony if the guys below me or either side of me, are smoking me out of it!

Thankfully there isn't much issue in my complex. I have had to get up and close windows/doors when people are using bbq's or smoking outside - not that I mind them doing it, more so to stop the odour wafting into the apt and lingering in the blinds and curtains (and the clothes drying on the clothes horse :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Out of interest, if you hung washing out and people complained, what exactly could be done about it? You own the balcony (or have a 1000 year lease on it), so if the managment company complained and you told them where to stuff it, can they realistically do anything about it?

What could happen is a fine and/or a solicitor's letter regarding breach of head lease to start with. Potentially (but unlikely) it could go as far as the MC cancelling their lease with the owner and the owner losing the apartment for breach of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

i would take a "flat" or a proper house over an "apartment" any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Solair wrote: »
    Children are of course banned or required to be housed in sound-proof boxes at all times.

If only...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I wouldnt rent an apartment anywhere without them tbh

I mean why would anyone choose to live in an apartment, why not buy/rent a house ?

i can hang my clothes out when i want, put up satellite dishes but a clothes horse in front of window, have my bike in the garden.

i really dont understand this apartment living business i find it very Claustrophobic and stressful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness, I've not seen so much sarcasm in a long while....... If anyone feels strongly enough that they have further to contribute- PM me. Kind regards, Shane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement