Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chefs uniforms

Options
  • 05-03-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm starting a cookery course at the end of the month but its just for a few weeks. There's a list of bits and bobs we have to buy including a minimum of 2 chef jackets, trousers, chef cap, 2 aprons as well as different knives and accessories like peelers, pastry brush etc. This going to tot up a nice little bill which was an unexpected extra ontop of the cost of the course itself which wasnt cheap. I was given about 4 really good knives and a good apron from someone so thats really saved a few quid thankfully.

So, do any chefs amongst you have a more affordable, go to place where you get your stuff? Id be warey of getting the clothing stuff online as I dunno what would fit! I'm probably sounding like a bit of a tight ass but unemployment makes you seek out cheaper alternatives!

Also, on another note, a question:

If you start a job in a kitchen (maybe I will/wont, I dont know!); any type job, are you expected to arrive with a chef uniform or is the kit usually supplied?

Thanks everyone;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

sounds way ott to have to buy this equipment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

I agree. They said they have the stuff themselves but its better to buy your own. It better be worth it thats for sure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

When I started work, I had to use my own uniform. Regarding buying stuff. www.nisbets.ie is a site a few people I know recommend. Most people in the industry have someone they know that calls in and you buy stuff, so maybe if you know anyone working in a restaurant you could ask them to get you stuff nice and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Thanks for the replies.

Good to know Xyo about having your own uniform...
    Knew about Nesbits but not about the door to door thingy so thanks!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dolee, definitely get 100% cotton. They're harder to wash and iron but you won't overheat half as much as anything with polyester.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jene

Do you live in Dublin? Sweeney O Rourke on Pearse St, Dublin 2 have catering equipment and uniforms.
    most places will expect you to have your own uniform and knives for work, the only exceptions would be hotels who will often supply you with a uniform and have it cleaned for you.

Advertisement