Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barça -v- Arsenal, Champions league Last 16 2nd leg

• 05-03-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

UEFA Champions League
    (1 - 2)
    th_1708-15.pngvsth_602-16.png
    Estadi Camp Nou
    Tuesday, 8 March 2011
    7:45pm (SSP 2HD, TV3)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

A shame this is so early into the competition. The best football we'll see this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Please dear god jesus mary joseph and all the saints dont let denilson be in the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Remember last year we scored the first goal in the Nou Camp with an even weaker team then what we have now, so we stand a chance. It is so important for Arsenal to score at some stage because we won't be keeping a clean sheet. I seriously can't wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully Arsenal can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

2-1 to Arsenal, again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Barca by 3/4 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Le King wrote: »
    2-1 to Arsenal, again.

Loving the positivity!

Pretty sure Barca are without their favoured centre back pairing so I'm gonna go with 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Barca's team this year is better though.

barcelona-4-1-arsenal-messi.jpg

No Iniesta, Ibrahimovic, Puyol or Pique.

3-0 Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

2-1 to Arsenal, again.

Feck off with that voodoo reverse psychology crap again - yiz donoe enough damage in the Sunderland match thread today! :p

We have to score first to have a chance of going through as far as I'm concerned. If Barca score first then it'll be the same result as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

12/1 on a messi hatrick

ill be all over that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Barça have been between poor/average since the week before the first leg and havent really shown a great deal of improvement since.

I think too many people are over selling the first leg - if anything Barça were well short of their usual selves.

I was even confused by Pep and Villa comments afterwards to be honest - second half Barça were very subdued.

Barça dominated? Perhaps to some people but not in my eyes - at least not in their usual sense.

Barça havent shown anything in the past month that would lead me to believe they will be comfortable on tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

redout wrote: »
    Barça have been between poor/average since the week before the first leg and havent really shown a great deal of improvement since.

I think too many people are over selling the first leg - if anything Barça were well short of their usual selves.

I was even confused by Pep and Villa comments afterwards to be honest - second half Barça were very subdued.

Barça dominated? Perhaps to some people but not in my eyes - at least not in their usual sense.

Barça havent shown anything in the past month that would lead me to believe they will be comfortable on tuesday night.

Before first leg
    Barcelona 3-0 Atlético Madrid
    Sporting Gijon 1-1 Barcelona

After first leg
    Barcelona 2-1 Athletic Bilbao
    Mallorca 0-3 Barcelona
    Valencia 0-1 Barcelona
    Barcelona 1-0 Real Zaragoza

5 wins and a draw. Wins at Mallorca and Valencia.

Poor/average my arse:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Before first leg

After first leg
    Mallorca 0-3 Barcelona
    Valencia 0-1 Barcelona

Relative to the standards they have set this season they have been average of late but they have had a few injuries and Pep has been tinkering with the side a bit. On a Champions League night with a red hot Camp Nou cheering them on it will probably be a different story altogether.

Before first leg

After first leg
    Mallorca 0-3 Barcelona
    Valencia 0-1 Barcelona

You obviously havent been watching the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The fact that Barca are off kilter and are grinding out wins is a positive. They cannot win pretty everytime.

Arsenal are not exactly bang in form either.

I am strangely pessimistic and will say we could see a nil all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I have. I watch most of them actually. I agree they have not been at their scintillating best recently but they were by no means poor/average, even compared to when they are at their brilliant best.

I can see them destroying Arsenal on Tuesday night.

I dreamt that Barcelona won 6-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

About 9 nil to them.

I have. I watch most of them actually. I agree they have not been at their scintillating best recently but they were by no means poor/average, even compared to when they are at their brilliant best.

I can see them destroying Arsenal on Tuesday night.
    Before first leg

After first leg
    Mallorca 0-3 Barcelona
    Valencia 0-1 Barcelona

Gijon they were poor and took a Villa piece of magic to rescue a point, Bilbao they struggled - lucky they got the 3 as a draw would have been a more fair result. Mallorca result is flattering as Mallorca were just dire rather than Barca being good - massive difference from when Mallorca got a point at Camp Nou. Valencia were the better side for large parts of that game and a win was again flattering - I believe anyone who watched that wouldnt say anything other than Barca were poor and lucky they got 3 points. As for tonight Zaragoza had 7 of their usual 11 missing and Barca still werent anything but average. Yes Barca have had injuries to deal with of late but they have been playing well below par. The Atleti game was the last time Barca actually played a good match.

article-0-0D7C261A000005DC-836_964x578.jpg

• Advertisement

Arsenal are going to get more hammered than I will be on Paddy's Day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Left Back Daniel Alves?

Left Back Daniel Alves?

You'd know it was from the mail :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

2-1 to Arsenal, again.
    cson wrote: »
    Feck off with that voodoo reverse psychology crap again - yiz donoe enough damage in the Sunderland match thread today! :p

Yeah, you're doing it all wrong.

Can't see past 8-0 barca. Arsenal won't score at all. Not once. Not even first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

3-2 barca

Much fapping will be done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2685&d=1290090674

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Yeah, you're doing it all wrong.

Can't see past 8-0 barca. Arsenal won't score at all. Not once. Not even first.

5 of them will be own goals.Almunia at fault for 3 of them.....from the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

No Van Persie, Walcott for Arsenal. Possibily no Fabregas. Barca should go through.

CorkMan wrote: »
    No Van Persie, Walcott for Arsenal. Possibily no Fabregas. Barca should go through.

Would be surprised if he didnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Barca seem to be battling complacency going into this game, whereas Arsenal are battling fatigue.

I'm thinking this tie will be decided on away goals myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think the games have been fine, I've seen them all bar the 1-1 v Gijon. The worst of the lot in terms of Barca's performance was an extremely nervy 2-1 win against Bilbao, but once Pep stopped messing with Busquets theycontrolled the game after the equaliser.

They had players out against Mallorca and Valencia away is not a game ot dominate in. 1-0 last night was very comfortable, Zaragoza never looked like equalising bar one breakaway, no pressure even with Milito playing. Mascherano was ok once he had actual defenders behind him and afford the luxury of carrying Bojan too.

Barcelona are the better team, but they were also the better team in London. I can't help feeling the brainfart to go 2-1 down will end up costing Barcelona dear. And Arsenal will be the best team in the world again and Barcelona will be written off.

dfx- wrote: »
    I think the games have been fine, I've seen them all bar the 1-1 v Gijon. The worst of the lot in terms of Barca's performance was an extremely nervy 2-1 win against Bilbao, but once Pep stopped messing with Busquets theycontrolled the game after the equaliser.

They had players out against Mallorca and Valencia away is not a game ot dominate in. 1-0 last night was very comfortable, Zaragoza never looked like equalising bar one breakaway, no pressure even with Milito playing. Mascherano was ok once he had actual defenders behind him and afford the luxury of carrying Bojan too.

Barcelona are the better team, but they were also the better team in London. I can't help feeling the brainfart to go 2-1 down will end up costing Barcelona dear. And Arsenal will be the best team in the world again and Barcelona will be written off.

But that was a Zaragoza minus 7 of their regular 11 and Barca were nothing but average at best. I think the team has gradually lost itself somewhat since Puyol got injured. They miss his leadership and inspiration. Pique certainly aint his usual self. Pep has made some bizarre changes that didnt really work that well. I'll tell ya something - did you watch Atleti tonight ? Their attacking play was pure jizz - it was basically Barca up to four weeks ago. Have you noticed the odd amount of high balls into the box over this period also ? I have been scratching my head at that one though tonight at least they seemed to cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

dfx- wrote: »

I think you have the teams backwards there, Arsenal have been written off since the tie was drawn and Barcelona have been declared the best team in the world and the best team ever to have played the sport.

Come on the Arsenal do us all proud!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But that was a Zaragoza minus 7 of their regular 11 and Barca were nothing but average at best.

But it had Milito, Bojan and Mascherano in it which is a handicap for Barca too. We know Barca's strength is not in depth, but they were still very comfortable last night.

I watched Atleti alright and they were good going forward until the equaliser and I didn't see the winner coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I cansee it been nervy for both teams

Barca to win 3-1 in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This game is nicely poised but neither team are in fantastic form. I expect Barca to qualify, but I'm much more confident of our chances right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Wilshere and Song doubtful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why is Iniesta out?

Couldn't call this myself. Without Van Persie, it's going to be hard for Barca to score. But without Pique, I think their middle is weak enough to be exposed. Should be an incredibly interesting game.

PHB wrote: »
    Why is Iniesta out?

Come again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PHB wrote: »
    Why is Iniesta out?

Couldn't call this myself. Without Van Persie, it's going to be hard for Barca to score. But without Pique, I think their middle is weak enough to be exposed. Should be an incredibly interesting game.

Lolwut :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd be satisfied if Arsenal just dont get humiliated. Wilshere aside our midfield was atrocius against Sunderland. I don't like the idea of Denilson and Diaby trying to chase Catalanian shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd be satisfied if Arsenal just dont get humiliated. Wilshere aside our midfield was atrocius against Sunderland. I don't like the idea of Denilson and Diaby trying to chase Catalanian shadows.

Exactly what happened last year...

Almunia

Sagna
    Vermaelan
    Silvestre
    Clichy

Walcott
    Denilson
    Diaby
    Nasri
    Rosicky

Bendtner

This year, hopefully....

Sceszny

Sagna
    Djourou
    Koscielny
    Clichy

Nasri
    Song
    Fabregas
    Wilshere
    Arshavin

Bendtner

Jesus if RVP was fit, I would actually be quite confident, but I fear Big Nics amazing lack of ability for a big man to hold the ball up will just see us trying to defend wave after wave after wave of attack.

Last year, only one thing was going to happen when the spine of the team was diaby denilson and silvestre.

This year you're swapping diaby denilson rosicky and silvestre for wilshere song fabregas and koscielny. Big improvement as long as koscielny keeps the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

according to twitter Pyuol is out for tues

according to twitter Pyuol is out for tues

Fcuking disaster. Tendonitis in the knee. No Puyo, no Pique :(

I said yesterday that I had a sneaking feeling that was why they were possibly playing Milito. The club has known about this for the past couple of days apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So it's now a race to see who can field eleven players?

Galvasean wrote: »
    So it's now a race to see who can field eleven players?

Not a fan of this but I reckon it could be

Milito---Busquets

Alves
    Abidal

Mascherano

Mother of god I would rather see

Abidal---Busquets

Alves
    Maxwell

Mascherano

Milito has been absolute rubbish this season but him playing yesterday really has me worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

MikeySligo wrote: »
    [
    Jesus if RVP was fit, I would actually be quite confident, but I fear Big Nics amazing lack of ability for a big man to hold the ball up will just see us trying to defend wave after wave after wave of attack.

Maybe he's being told to do it but Big Nick's stupid tendency to think he's Henry and hug the tough line and cut in before losing it is what its down to - he just isn't there to hold it up!

That result just gave Arsenal a massive confidence boost going into the game.

That result just gave Arsenal a massive confidence boost going into the game.

The same was said ahead of their game against Sunderland.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    The same was said ahead of their game against Sunderland.

Ah I say it definitely has - yesterday they were down in the doldrums after that result.

Potentially could have gone 6 behind today now they can draw level.

Looked as though they should have won also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement