Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barça -v- Arsenal, Champions league Last 16 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

redout wrote: »
    Ah I say it definitely has - yesterday they were down in the doldrums after that result.

Potentially could have gone 6 behind today now they can draw level.

Looked as though they should have won also.

It's definitely perked them up anyways, as for on the field confidence, i have my doubts. They are notoriously lightweight mentally.

This feels like the build up to the last Classico to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Who's out for Barcelona so; Puyol, Pique... anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

cson wrote: »
    Who's out for Barcelona so; Puyol, Pique... anyone else?

Thats it - Alves, Xavi, Valdes and Jeffren all returned this week so things are somewhat positive though the loss of Puyo is massive in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Thats it - Alves, Xavi, Valdes and Jeffren all returned this week so things are somewhat positive though the loss of Puyo is massive in my opinion.

No Puyol now either.
    Fecking sweet.

By no means a foregone conclusion this time, hopefully....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TBH I'm hoping for as little destruction of my nerves as possible, win or lose.

MikeySligo wrote: »
    No Puyol now either.
    Fecking sweet.

By no means a foregone conclusion this time, hopefully....:D

I dunno - I have been contemplating it and reckon its perhaps not as big a blow as I first thought.

Consider that Puyol hasnt played since around mid january he was never gonna be near match fit in the first place.

Is it better to keep him fit or run the risk of playing him and potentially losing him for the rest of the season ?

I think this could prove the more prudent decision in the long run and Barca beat Arsenal without both Puyo and Pique last season.

Do you want him there ? Yes - but is it worth the risk ? I dont think so.

Either way his loss wont be used as an excuse if defeated as far as I am concerned.

Massimo Busacca is going to be the referee.

He officiated Barça's triumph over United in the 2009 Champions league final.

Coincidentally he also officiated the first leg of this fixture last season at the emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Have a funny feeling this will end 1-0 with a pedro winner... dunno why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Barca beat Arsenal without both Puyo and Pique last season.

Oh, you're right.
    And weve the same lanky twat up front too.
    Back to my pessimism so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Song looks certain to miss out now. Game over man, Game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Frisbee wrote: »

You would wonder how fit Wilshere actually is after that ankle injury forced him to miss training this morning. Same goes to Fabregas if he makes it.

Best of luck I hope ye beat them but I fear the worst for ye.:(

Think positive - we all know who the real star is ;)

25753_398279457248_683337248_3836629_7381978_n.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I'm extremely confident..... that we'll be destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Now lads.....given that we have Fab in the team for certain I'll revise my previous prediction.

8 nil Barcelona. Joey Barton to play a pivotal role in the last 6 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Jesus if Arsenal can't handle the schedule they're probably better off out of the Champions League with United falling apart (somewhat) as they are.

Come back when ye are champions i say.

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Jesus if Arsenal can't handle the schedule they're probably better off out of the Champions League with United falling apart (somewhat) as they are.

Come back when ye are champions i say.

I agree, our best chance of winning the league is being knocked out of CL and FA Cup during the week. Sad and all as that is to admit.

Song confirmed as out for tomorrow.

Cesc 90% to play according to Wenger so he'll start.

At a guess:

Woj
    Sagna
    Djourou
    Koscielny
    Clichy
    Diaby
    Wilshere

Cesc
    Nasri
    Arshavin
    Bendtner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

0-0 Arsenal defensive masterclass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I expect Fabregas to play 20 minutes and then pull a hammy and miss the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Galvasean wrote: »
    I expect Fabregas to play 20 minutes and then pull a hammy and miss the rest of the season.

Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Doctor Zaius

Frisbee probably has the team down right but this is what I would go with. I'd start Chamakh, with Puyol n Pique out, they'll be a bit shaky in the air. Plus I'd stick Nik out on the wing to give Nasri some freedom to hit them on the counter attack. I know there's no real defensive midfield there but I would not play Denilson in any circumstances.

Woj
    Sagna
    Djourou
    Koscielny
    Clichy
    Cesc
    Wilshere

Nasri
    Bendtner
    Arshavin
    Chamakh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I know there's no real defensive midfield there but I would not play Denilson in any circumstances.
    Not sure if leaving the back four with no cover against Barca is a wise move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Doctor Zaius

True but Denilson offers nothing either defensively or attacking. Diaby holds onto the ball too long and isn't the best defensively either. I'd have Cesc and Wilshere playing in front of the defense,at least the two of them are biters and will keep working to win back the ball then get it quickly to Nasri to break forward.

I'd rather see Wilshere in the holding role than Denilson. If Denilson gives the ball away as frequently/easily against Barcelona as he did against Sunderland we will get eaten alive!

edit: Wenger hinting at Wilshere DMing against Barcelona?
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-wilshere-still-prefers-deeper-role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd rather see Wilshere in the holding role than Denilson. If Denilson gives the ball away as frequently/easily against Barcelona as he did against Sunderland we will get eaten alive!

edit: Wenger hinting at Wilshere DMing against Barcelona?
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-wilshere-still-prefers-deeper-role

Think he just means having Jack further back in his usual position as opposed to more forward in the 'Cesc' position as he was against Sunderland.

Song was a bit of a liability at times in the first leg to be honest so I wouldn't mind him being out so much if we had someone good to come in for him. Denilson actually played well (comparatively) when he came on against Barca last year but with the way he's been playing recently I couldn't trust him.

[edit] Oh I just remembered I had a dream about this last night. It finished up 0-0 with Pedro missing a peno after scoring his first attempt and having to retake it. He got very angry at the ref and got sent off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Sorry its off topic but,

Arsenal 9 to 1 with Paddypower for tomorr night. 5 to 1 for a draw.

Defo worth a punt at 9-1.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I reckon it'll be Denilson-Wilshere with Cesc ahead of them. As bad as Denilson has been this season he at least moves the ball relatively quickly (even if it is always sideways or backwards and only 2 yards). I'd be even more concerned about Diaby's penchance for taking about fifteen touches and trying madskillz his way out of cul-de-sacs with Barca's midget platoon swarming all over him.

I'd be even more concerned about Diaby's penchance for taking about fifteen touches and trying madskillz his way out of cul-de-sacs with Barca's midget platoon swarming all over him.

I lol'd.

I've a mental image in my head now of Diaby trying to run with Iniesta and Villa wrapped around his legs, Pedro trying to drag him back by the arm and Messi on his back covering his eyes and biting Diaby's neck.

Oh and Clichy, when in doubt hoof it! Do not and I repeat DO NOT try to play your way around Messi, Villa et al. on the edge of your own penalty area! My fragile little heart can't take that again.

I lol'd.

I've a mental image in my head now of Diaby trying to run with Iniesta and Villa wrapped around his legs, Pedro trying to drag him back by the arm and Messi on his back covering his eyes and biting Diaby's neck.

This in turn reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg quote:

“Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy, all day. Wearing a backpack and a turtleneck is like a weak midget trying to bring you down.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I lol'd.

I was thinking more along these lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Barca for 2-0 hopefully. RVP was by far the most dangerous looking in the first leg, so it helps that he's out.
    Got my ticket for the game, couldnt deal with another loss...but it's a cup tie and anything can happen.

I just hope wenger practices what he preaches and tries to play football and not build a wall.

You know that's what'll happen, we don't play any other way.

Having said that; I would lol if he did it and it worked! :D

van Persie is in the squad!!
    Arsène Wenger has named a 19-man squad. This will be cut to 18 ahead of Tuesday's game at the Nou Camp.

Arsenal squad:
    Manuel Almunia
    Wojciech Szczesny
    Johan Djourou
    Gael Clichy
    Emmanuel Eboue
    Kieran Gibbs
    Laurent Koscielny
    Bacary Sagna
    Sebastien Squillaci
    Cesc Fabregas
    Andrey Arshavin
    Jack Wilshere
    Tomas Rosicky
    Samir Nasri
    Abou Diaby
    Denilson
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Marouane Chamakh
    Robin van Persie
    I wonder if the 19 is because of Robin, might only be an outside bet to make it...

Great to have him back so soon but I wouldn't risk him if there's any chance of doing further damage. We need him for the PL most of all.

It'd be great to have him playing.

But we don't have a hope of winning the Champions League. We are however in with a shot of winning the league if we decide to actually capitalise on one of the chances United are giving us to catch them up. He's much more important to the league run in than tomorrow night game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

RVP in the squad :eek:

I call shennanigans. Either that or the horse placenta has finally kicked in!

Of course we have a hope of winning the CL. If we can beat Barcelona we can beat any of the rest.

Obviously it'd be stupid to risk Robin if he's not 100% but you'd have to question the seriousness of the injury if he's back in contention after only 1 game out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Of course we have a hope of winning the CL. If we can beat Barcelona we can beat any of the rest.

Obviously it'd be stupid to risk Robin if he's not 100% but you'd have to question the seriousness of the injury if he's back in contention after only 1 game out.

As long as someone else knocks out madrid, maybe. jose loved playing us.

• Advertisement

I don't think he has the defenders at Madrid to play his ideal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Real made hard work of their first leg, I'd argue Pellegrini's Real might have actually been stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It'd be great to have him playing.

But we don't have a hope of winning the Champions League. We are however in with a shot of winning the league if we decide to actually capitalise on one of the chances United are giving us to catch them up. He's much more important to the league run in than tomorrow night game.

What a ridiculous statement. It's a knockout competition anyone left in it could win it only takes one mistake or bad referee decision to knock someone out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm going to miss this live as i'm playing ball myself.

personally, i think Wenger kind of feels Arsenal are a bit screwed, hence the rushing back of Cesc, as well as the VP talk.

i might put a tenner on Barca to win 3-2 on the night, with Arsenal doing it on away goals. no Pique or Puyol makes this nothing near the procession many fans will maybe expect it to be. if Arsenal can get at the back 4 with the 30% possession they're going to have, they could do damage.

Arshavin will need to be in the mood though i feel.

however, this is all tempered by the fact Arsenal really need to not concede in the first 20 minutes. if they can get into the match, that is when they may get the result i'm talking about above. if Barca score too early, it could turn into the massacre Fris fears.

my official prediction after all that waffle...3-2 Barca on the night, and Arsenal through. i think Arsenal will surprise us all, and Wenger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nice of Pep to give Jack a bit of rocket fuel for this evening - hopefully he'll use it wisely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Barca to take a 3-0 lead and dominate 70 minutes of the match with Arsenal pulling 1 back in the last few minutes to give us a nervy finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Either way, RVP in the squad makes the other time spend time preparing for him.

PHB wrote: »
    Either way, RVP in the squad makes the other time spend time preparing for him.

Imagine their surprise when we spring Bendtner on them instead... they won't know what to do :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

If he's to be involved, he will start. As to bring him on, runs the risk of needing to bring him back off and waste 2 subs.. 2-2 with Fabergas netting first is my prediction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

cson wrote: »
    Imagine their surprise when we spring Bendtner on them instead... they won't know what to do :pac:

Or Chamakh. Keep them guessing. With the ****ness of their central defence, anything to mess with their heads is a damm good idea. RVP though would be dead cert for a goal against those CB's if he starts imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

If he's to be involved, he will start. As to bring him on, runs the risk of needing to bring him back off and waste 2 subs.. 2-2 with Fabergas netting first is my prediction

Odds for this on betpack 335/1, paddypower only pays 175/1!!! Paddypower skank merchants, must stop using them..

• Advertisement
Advertisement