Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barça -v- Arsenal, Champions league Last 16 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

I think the crowd at the Nou Camp always play a major part in CL games. I couldn't imagine for one second how intimated refs feel going there.

This is the third time in recent memory in a big CL game at the Nou Camp, somebody was sent off.

Drogba - massive uproar, referee had to retire because of death threats.
    Motta - last season, another joke of a decision.
    RVP - Another clear joke, for all to see.

Ah come on, are you trying to tell me it was the fans??? If that was the case all fans at games should remain silent. Are you trying to tell me that where ever it be Old Trafford, The Emirates, The San Siro, Anfield.... that fans won't shout and scream at every decision or action that happens at a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

It could be a lot worse - Jack Taylor got to referee cup finals all the time in the past and he was exceptionally bad (according to a lot of former players) or a lot more were bribed etc. Very hard for that to happen these days without anyone knowing. The majority are honest at least - if slightly irratic.

At least if you were bribed you've an excuse for being shite! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That Danish guy a few years back that looked like MacGyver was brilliant.

That's the thing though. We remember him as the referee from the Ireland vs. Spain game in 2002; and as a United fan I don't think we ever lost with him as referee (or we had a good record at least).

Ask Roma or Chelsea fans however..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

dagdha wrote: »
    Ah come on, are you trying to tell me it was the fans??? If that was the case all fans at games should remain silent. Are you trying to tell me that where ever it be Old Trafford, The Emirates, The San Siro, Anfield.... that fans won't shout and scream at every decision or action that happens at a game.

There noise, theres big stadium noise, and then theres Camp Nou noise!

It impossible not to be swayed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dagdha wrote: »

Nope never said IT WAS the fan, I said they have a major influence.

The Camp Nou is the biggest stadium in Europe, 99,000 capacity. Their fans are very volatile also, more so than most, it's an incredibly intimidating atmosphere. If Arsenal kept possession tonight for 30 seconds, the hissing from the crown was incredible. I even felt intimidated for the Arsenal players. I can only imagine what refs feel like there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

@cesc4official
    Cesc Fàbregas Soler
    Great support from the arsenal fans. I take full blame for the result tonight. One of the worst moments of my life. I apologise.

Jaysus... Feel bad for him. That's some statement to make just after getting knocked out of the CL.. Definitely don't agree with it though, you win as a team and lose as a team.

Thought the whole Arsenal team was very good tonight. Read through the thread and couldn't believe some of the shíte some people were spouting... First saying UEFA were keeping Barca in it then saying no, Barca are Spainish, it's in their blood to cheat. Never have I heard such shíte. Anyways, many teams have come to the Camp Nou and left in a far worse state than tonight, Real being the obvious example here. Thought Arsenal were going to pull off one of the biggest cup upsets in recent times, considering the match predictions before the first leg, and I include myself in the people that never gave them a chance, even had Barca backed at -2 in the first leg:eek:! Never have I being so happy to be proven wrong though. Think thats about the hardest test Barca will face in the CL barr perhaps Chelsea. Anyways, roll on tomorrow night, Spurs are always involved in cracking games!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Nope never said IT WAS the fan, I said they have a major influence.

The Camp Nou is the biggest stadium in Europe, 95,000 people. Their fans are very volatile also, more so than most, it's an incredibly intimidating atmosphere. If Arsenal kept possession tonight for 30 seconds, the hissing from the crown was incredible. I even felt intimidated for the Arsenal players. I can only imagine what refs feel like there.

99,354 to be exact. :D

I think we should take a leaf out of the Gladiator book!

Any conscientious decisions, every should turn and look up at Michel Platini and he will either give a thumbs up or a thumbs down! :pac:

Would be great craic! :P

Edit: I'm sure his ego would be well up for it!

Thought the whole Arsenal team was very good tonight. Read through the thread and couldn't believe some of the shíte some people were spouting... First saying UEFA were keeping Barca in it then saying no, Barca are Spainish, it's in their blood to cheat. Never have I heard such shíte. Anyways, many teams have come to the Camp Nou and left in a far worse state than tonight, Real being the obvious example here. Thought Arsenal were going to pull off one of the biggest cup upsets in recent times, considering the match predictions before the first leg, and I include myself in the people that never gave them a chance, even had Barca backed at -2 in the first leg:eek:! Never have I being so happy to be proven wrong though. Think thats about the hardest test Barca will face in the CL barr perhaps Chelsea. Anyways, roll on tomorrow night, Spurs are always involved in cracking games!

You are spot on, some of the comments about there being a fix and that Plattini and Blatter would be delighted and that Barca are Uefas pet club and that Spanish people are cheats was a joke. I kind of take it in the heat of the moment with some fans coming out with stuff like that because they felt hard done by but alot of it was uncalled for and pretty harsh especially someone I can't remember who posted up alist of Spanish sports people who may have cheated or not to back up their statement with this generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

ovrebo_tom_v2.jpg

Oh I've been there...terrible refereeing tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If you put aside the refs decision, arsenal were awful, really really bad. I was at the game, I've a pic of the first half stats that I'll post...but it's arsenal 97 passes completed @ 60% . Barca was 344 completed at 85%. Possession was 70 / 30 Barca , and Arsenal had 0 shots on goal.
    The above is WITH rvp, the 2nd half wasn't much different, Barca deserved their win, it's a shame people will begrudge them the win due to the refs decision
    Oh, and as for the crowd, a large portion is made up of travelling fans who don't know the chants, and most of the socis are elderly and don't sing the chants, half the games you can hear a pin drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SeantheMan wrote: »
    If you put aside the refs decision, arsenal were awful, really really bad. I was at the game, I've a pic of the first half stats that I'll post...but it's arsenal 97 passes completed @ 60% . Barcarole was 344 completed at 85%. Possession was 70 / 30 Barca and Arsenal had 0 shotsnon goal.
    The above is WITH rvp, the 2nd half wasn't much different, Barca deserved their win, it's a shame people will begrudge them the win due to the refs decision
    Oh, and as for the crowd, a large portion is made up of travelling fans whon don't know the chants, and most of the socis are don't sing the chants, half the games you can hear a pin drop

Just curious Sean, did you hear the Whistle that RVP didn't? Also, you lucky fooker.

^^^
    Just about to ask that question

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Apologies if it was already posted, but the best thing from tonight:

14l543m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I've been to the Nou Camp a few times and sometimes the fans throw paper airplanes there instead of watch the game.
    I doubt that happened tonight though

If you put aside the refs decision, arsenal were awful, really really bad. I was at the game, I've a pic of the first half stats that I'll post...but it's arsenal 97 passes completed @ 60% . Barca was 344 completed at 85%. Possession was 70 / 30 Barca , and Arsenal had 0 shots on goal.
    Oh, and as for the crowd, a large portion is made up of travelling fans who don't know the chants, and most of the socis are elderly and don't sing the chants, half the games you can hear a pin drop

That's ridiculous. You have to take every game by itself. You can't expect to go to the Camp Nou and dominate the possession against arguably the greatest club side of all time when they are chasing the tie. Arsenal did as well as anybody I've seen at the Camp Nou. Sure what were the stats for Inter last season against Barca? I'm fairly sure they would be along those lines yet no one said they performed poorly, and don't forget Arsenal were more than holding their own before they were reduced to ten men, better than what Inter were doing last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

That's ridiculous. You have to take every game by itself. You can't expect to go to the Camp Nou and dominate the possession against arguably the greatest club side of all time when they are chasing the tie. Arsenal did as well as anybody I've seen at the Camp Nou. Sure what were the stats for Inter last season against Barca? I'm fairly sure they would be along those lines yet no one said they performed poorly, and don't forget Arsenal were more than holding their own before they were reduced to ten men, better than what Inter were doing last season.
    +1

in fairness the ref got a few decisions wrong tonight.
    He should have awarded Barca a penalty in the first half.
    Konscielny could have been sent off too.
    I suppose its all ifs and buts.
    We'll never know and its a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

x610.jpg

That is all.

L'prof wrote: »
    That is all.
    In fairness, RVP could, and probably should have been sent off for that slap on Alves. If it was the other way round I'm sure they'd already be a few nice snaps of it and people labelling Alves an absolute thug etc etc. Now I'm not saying that bad decisions evened themselves out but I thought RVP was ever so lucky so remain on the pitch for a blatant off the ball slap, and if people didn't hate Alves so much I'm sure it would have been highlighted more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

x610.jpg

That is all.

Well on RVP for not rolling around the ground afterwards as if he was shot of something.

In fairness, RVP could, and probably should have been sent off for that slap on Alves. If it was the other way round I'm sure they'd already be a few nice snaps of it and people labelling Alves an absolute thug etc etc. Now I'm not saying that bad decisions evened themselves out but I thought RVP was ever so lucky so remain on the pitch for a blatant off the ball slap, and if people didn't hate Alves so much I'm sure it would have been highlighted more.

I thought it was a soft yellow, you say possible red. Either way that should be a definite red for Abidal.

Dara O'Briain on twitter

daraobriain Dara O Briain

Sitting in the Camp Nou, we had no either why Van Persie got sent off either. The place is deafening. #apaininthearse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Abidal hands on RVPs neck moments before. That first yellow was hardly anything let alone asending off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

x610.jpg

That is all.

j7ukx5.jpg

That is all.

craggles wrote: »
    j7ukx5.jpg

That is all.

Indeed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I gotta side with RVP when he says he couldnt hear the whistle. Its a complete joke that he recieved a yellow for what was simply a shot on goal. I know if footballers kick away the ball out of anger or sourness they will recieve a card but that decision was just so weak it's actually sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Full credit to The Arsenal fans in Barcelona, still in full voice as they were held behind at full time, Legends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

right havent read thread since start of match.........couple off things van persie was a clown stupid yellow card first time round and judging by his body reaction for the second one he heard the whistle. Barcelona overall were the better side by a mile arsenal couldnt get a sniff of goal even when they needed it. Bendner who thinks he is one of the best strikers in the world is shocking.sorry but when a lad sends a ball onto your feet and you claim to be brilliant you should really finish it not have a touch of a rapist. anyhow hardluck arsenal but you are miles off barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

major bill wrote: »
    judging by his body reaction for the second one he heard the whistle.

Go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

RVP red justified imo.

If he wants to talk about injustice, in the interest of fairness he should mention the penalty Messi was denied and the perfectly fine goal Messi was denied at the Emirates.

Better team by a mile won.

Football won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The sending off was stupid although I don't buy that 'I didn't hear it' thing. But stupid nonetheless. You just dont send someone off for that in such a game. Unless maybe RVP was annoying him all night or something.
    However - It's ridiculous saying that Arsenal were robbed. Really Adsenal had no game plan tonight. Not one that I was able to recognise. Surely Arsenal of all teams couldn't expect to sit it out on the defense? Someone with a steely back four and DMs could have such a gameplan but Arsenal? So what else was there? Get them on the break? Right. Nil shots on target.
    Get over it Arsenal fans. You went out to the better team it was just a little sour aftertaste to it. But you have no business thinking you should have gone through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

j7ukx5.jpg

Crazy stats. Dominated from start to finish by the superior team.

Boskowski wrote: »
    The sending off was stupid although I don't buy that 'I didn't hear it' thing. But stupid nonetheless. You just dont send someone off for that in such a game. Unless maybe RVP was annoying him all night or something.
    However - It's ridiculous saying that Arsenal were robbed. Really Adsenal had no game plan tonight. Not one that I was able to recognise. Surely Arsenal of all teams couldn't expect to sit it out on the defense? Someone with a steely back four and DMs could have such a gameplan but Arsenal? So what else was there? Get them on the break? Right. Nil shots on target.
    Get over it Arsenal fans. You went out to the better team it was just a little sour aftertaste to it. But you have no business thinking you should have gone through.

I don't think that one person has said Arsenal should have or definitely would have gone through if RVP had been sent off.

People are simply debating what difference it could have made and since this is a football forum, these are the sort of things that should be debated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mister men wrote: »
    j7ukx5.jpg

Crazy stats. Dominated from start to finish by the superior team.

The yellow card count says a lot too tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

As an Arsenal fan, I'm not deluded enough to suggest that we were ever in the game last night. Barca were the better team by miles.

However, with 30 minutes to go, they needed to score twice to go through and for all their dominance had only managed one in the hour that had gone before.

It was a bullsh1t red card and to suggest otherwise is totally wrong. If you disagree then please post examples of it happening before. My feeling is that the stadium and the attention of the Barca team got to the ref and he made a decision that I've never seen made before.

I'm not saying Barca wouldn't have gone through, they could well have but I'd be curious to see bookies odds when it was 1-1, 11 v 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Boskowski wrote: »

I think that having been dominated for the first 20 minutes of so, the plan was to get to half time without conceding. After half time, the plan was to score a goal. When that happened the plan was to get to full time without conceding.

I don't get why people are having a go at how Arsenal played.

Tell me one team that has gone to the Nou Camp in the last 3 years that played open attacking football that hasn't left the place with a spanking.

Arsenal were spot on with their tactics last nigh IMO. Limit Barca's chances as much as you can and hope for that bit of luck from a set piece or a counter attack. At 1-1, Barca had to go for it because there was only around 30 mins left. With RVP, Arsenal would have been dangerous on the counter attack.

You are never, ever going to ''deserve'' to win against this Barca side, so people using the fact that Barca deserved to win as a defense to RVP's red card is laughable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Tell me one team that has gone to the Nou Camp in the last 3 years that played open attacking football that hasn't left the place with a spanking.

Chelsea, '09, 0-0 in the Nou camp and robbed by the ref in the return leg at the Bridge, 2 certain penos, and a clear hand ball by Pique

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I wouldn't call keeping them to 20 shots limiting them by much tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hercules and Rubin Kazan!

Its a shame that such a good tie will be only remembered for such a daft decision. Who knows what would have happened had RVP stayed on. I honestly do not think it made too big a difference. But then, the likes of me would say that!

Chelsea, '09, 0-0 in the Nou camp and robbed by the ref in the return leg at the Bridge, 2 certain penos, and a clear hand ball by Pique

I explicitly said Nou Camp.

Barcelona Chelsea

19(6) Shots (on Goal) 3(1)
    7 Fouls 20
    10 Corner Kicks 2
    4 Offsides 3
    71% Time of Possession 30%
    2 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    1 Saves 6

Pretty much identical to the stats last night as Arsenal would probably have had a few attempts on goal had RVP stayed on the pitch as Barca had to really go for it.

So, as you can see, Chelsea most certainly did NOT come to the Nou Camp and play attacking football.

gimmick wrote: »

Its a shame that such a good tie will be only remembered for such a daft decision. Who knows what would have happened had RVP stayed on. I honestly do not think it made too big a difference. But then, the likes of me would say that!

What if Abidal had gone, like he should have, and van Persie stayed on the pitch? Barca deserved to go through over the 2 legs, it's just disappointing that it happened the way that it did.

gimmick wrote: »

Nope, look at the possession stats, it's as clear as day Hercules played on the counter attack, no open attacking football there.

17(9) Shots (on Goal) 9(7)
    7 Fouls 8
    14 Corner Kicks 2
    6 Offsides 5
    77% Time of Possession 23%
    2 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    5 Saves 9

I can't find the stats on the Shaktahr game, but I'd be pretty confident that they did the same thing and didn't go and do what alot of people here were calling Arsenal to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yakult wrote: »
    I gotta side with RVP when he says he couldnt hear the whistle. Its a complete joke that he recieved a yellow for what was simply a shot on goal. I know if footballers kick away the ball out of anger or sourness they will recieve a card but that decision was just so weak it's actually sad.

Was that the only inaudible whistle in the game? I don't remember any other occasions where the player played after a whistle.

Was that the only inaudible whistle in the game? I don't remember any other occasions where the player played after a whistle.

He kicked the ball 1 second after the whistle actually went ffs!

He kicked the ball 1 second after the whistle actually went ffs!

I think it's fair to call anyone who defends that decision biased because if it had happened to the team they support it is inconceivable that any fan could attempt defend the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah because we all know it's always the team with the most possession, Shots on target and corners that win through in these games.

superfrank wrote: »
    ovrebo_tom_v2.jpg

Oh I've been there...terrible refereeing tonight!

As a Chelsea fan, how did it feel when Carvalho bear hugged Valdes to stop him from making a save, an incident that send Barca out of the CL in 2005? I'm sure you were ok about that one going in your favour right?
    You are never, ever going to ''deserve'' to win against this Barca side, so people using the fact that Barca deserved to win as a defense to RVP's red card is laughable tbh.

Tbh, I thought on 1st viewing that RVP was acting the muppet. Only on the replay does it show it was harsh. He probably paid the price for Arsenals timewasting previously as well as his own loss of the head before that.

IMO the decision not to award a stonewall penalty to Barca in the 1st half for the foul on Messi, that was clear as day and had just as much of an impact on the game as the red card.

Those saying RVPs 1st yellow was harsh, he intentionally raised his hands to an opposition players face. Doesn't matter that Alves is a highly dislikeable character. It was a sly and cheap thing to do, and I've seen refs send people off for things like that before.

Abidal should have gone. As should Koschielny (sp?) for persistent fouling.

The ref had a stinker, and it went both ways.

Those claiming Arsenal were robbed really crack me up, the stats tell a different story, yes it was a bad call, but in reality losing RVP was just Arsenal losing another man to run around aimlessly trying to get the ball back. They had no shots on goal, nevermind on target, racked up all of the cards in the game, and managed 31% possession. Even at the Emirates, bar the last 20 minutes, they were comprehensively outplayed. They got what they deserved last night. Nothing. But of course, much like when they let a 4 nil lead slip, it's the refs fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

People are simply debating what difference it could have made and since this is a football forum, these are the sort of things that should be debated.

I guess that's a fair enough comment.

However, if there is an English team I'd kind of support it's actually Arsenal, so its not me trying to put anyone down. If anything I was as disappointed as eveyone else last night but I'm just trying to apply a sober view to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement