Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barça -v- Arsenal, Champions league Last 16 2nd leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

L'prof wrote: »
    He kicked the ball 1 second after the whistle actually went ffs!

I'm not justifying the ref, just questioning the player's assertation that he didn't hear the whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Was that the only inaudible whistle in the game? I don't remember any other occasions where the player played after a whistle.

Messi played the ball after a whistle for offside, strangely he wasn't carded for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I explicitly said Nou Camp.

Barcelona Chelsea

19(6) Shots (on Goal) 3(1)
    7 Fouls 20
    10 Corner Kicks 2
    4 Offsides 3
    71% Time of Possession 30%
    2 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    1 Saves 6

Pretty much identical to the stats last night as Arsenal would probably have had a few attempts on goal had RVP stayed on the pitch as Barca had to really go for it.

So, as you can see, Chelsea most certainly did NOT come to the Nou Camp and play attacking football.

It proves the point that if RVP had stayed on the pitch, then Arsenal stood a better chance of going through, possession and "attempts" on goal, does not always equal goals my friend.
    The ref robbed us of a spectacle and Arsenal any chance of progressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Those claiming Arsenal were robbed really crack me up, the stats tell a different story, yes it was a bad call, but in reality losing RVP was just Arsenal losing another man to run around aimlessly trying to get the ball back. They had no shots on goal, nevermind on target, racked up all of the cards in the game, and managed 31% possession. Even at the Emirates, bar the last 20 minutes, they were comprehensively outplayed. They got what they deserved last night. Nothing. But of course, much like when they let a 4 nil lead slip, it's the refs fault.

I don't think anybody's saying that we were robbed, we're just complaining about the standard of refereeing to be fair. The same goes for the Newcastle game, the ref had far too much of an impact, but ultimately it wasn't his fault that we couldn't secure the points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm not justifying the ref, just questioning the player's assertation that he didn't hear the whistle.

I think it's quite plausible, but only he can really say for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I explicitly said Nou Camp.

Barcelona Chelsea

19(6) Shots (on Goal) 3(1)
    7 Fouls 20
    10 Corner Kicks 2
    4 Offsides 3
    71% Time of Possession 30%
    2 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    1 Saves 6

Pretty much identical to the stats last night as Arsenal would probably have had a few attempts on goal had RVP stayed on the pitch as Barca had to really go for it.

So, as you can see, Chelsea most certainly did NOT come to the Nou Camp and play attacking football.

A match with 101% possession :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

A match with 101% possession :pac:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=266497&cc=5739

Take it up with these guys:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't buy it either.

Look we all know how it works.
    There is some sort of mutual understanding between players and refs about a 'grace period', isn't it? Like if it's right after the ref blowing the whistle you're deemed too engulfed into the action to stop and you kinda get away with it. Although we all know its really only frustration or to prove a point of ' I wouldave scored here' or whatever it is.
    Is it more than say a couple of seconds after the whistle its deemed frustration and delaying the game and you get booked.

Van Persie expected his shot to be in category A but the ref disagreed. I think the ref was wrong to do so regarding the circumstances but he did.

The reaction of the player after the 'miss' says it all. It was the reaction of a player who knew it wouldn't have stood anyway. It wasn't the reaction of a player who just missed one of the two or three big chances there were going to have in an away CL decider, but that's just my opinion.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I don't buy it either.

Look we all know how it works.
    There is some sort of mutual understanding between players and refs about a 'grace period', isn't it? Like if it's right after the ref blowing the whistle you're deemed too engulfed into the action to stop and you kinda get away with it. Although we all know its really only frustration or to prove a point of ' I wouldave scored here' or whatever it is.
    Is it more than say a couple of seconds after the whistle its deemed frustration and delaying the game and you get booked.

Van Persie expected his shot to be in category A but the ref disagreed. I think the ref was wrong to do so regarding the circumstances but he did.

The reaction of the player after the 'miss' says it all. It was the reaction of a player who knew it wouldn't have stood anyway. It wasn't the reaction of a player who just missed one of the two or three big chances there were going to have in an away CL decider, but that's just my opinion.

I agree, I think he knew he was offside because he probably would have dragged it on his left foot as he had some time to do so, although there was a defender closing in on him, I think there was still an opportunity to do so. We all know how weak RVP's right foot is. It was a pathetic effort, something I'm sure he wouldn't have done if he thought he was onside.

As you said though, it was most certainly in that ''grace period'' of which I have never ever seen a player get booked in, and to think the ref done it in a game of such magnitude is just mind boggling.

So it really is irrelevant if he heard the whistle or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As a Chelsea fan, how did it feel when Carvalho bear hugged Valdes to stop him from making a save, an incident that send Barca out of the CL in 2005? I'm sure you were ok about that one going in your favour right?

Tbh, I thought on 1st viewing that RVP was acting the muppet. Only on the replay does it show it was harsh. He probably paid the price for Arsenals timewasting previously as well as his own loss of the head before that.

IMO the decision not to award a stonewall penalty to Barca in the 1st half for the foul on Messi, that was clear as day and had just as much of an impact on the game as the red card.

Those saying RVPs 1st yellow was harsh, he intentionally raised his hands to an opposition players face. Doesn't matter that Alves is a highly dislikeable character. It was a sly and cheap thing to do, and I've seen refs send people off for things like that before.

Abidal should have gone. As should Koschielny (sp?) for persistent fouling.

The ref had a stinker, and it went both ways.

Those claiming Arsenal were robbed really crack me up, the stats tell a different story, yes it was a bad call, but in reality losing RVP was just Arsenal losing another man to run around aimlessly trying to get the ball back. They had no shots on goal, nevermind on target, racked up all of the cards in the game, and managed 31% possession. Even at the Emirates, bar the last 20 minutes, they were comprehensively outplayed. They got what they deserved last night. Nothing. But of course, much like when they let a 4 nil lead slip, it's the refs fault.

Very few are saying its the ref's fault. He did ruin the game though. As an Arsenal fan I think we were defending well and it would've been very interesting to see, with an outlet from the defense to give us some ease of pressure, could we have held on until the 90 minutes lapsed. A very poor decision by a ref, that soaked up the catalan crowd, and totally submitted to their cheers. For me its just a pity that we are talking more about the ref today than about Barca's attacking football. If they tore us to shreds I'd stick my hand up and say it, but they didn't. Despite all their possession and shots, when RVP was sent off we were winning, and pretty soon after we were losing. To say one didn't have any effect on the other is either naive or incredibly stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It boils down to this - the ref had fúcking no common sense.

In a game of that importance, when the tie was on a knife edge, when the player was already on a yellow, when there is a large possibility he didn't hear the whistle (I think he would have to be given the benefit of the doubt here regardless of what the ref believed him or not)... issuing a second yellow and a red there is just criminal.

One second between blowing the whistle and van Persie kicking the ball, and he's straight to his pocket to send him off. That is just a moronic decision. This is the kind of shít that there is no place for in modern refereeing. Whatever about getting major penalty decisions etc. wrong, mistakes can happen unfortunately. What the ref did last night was just retarded and before he reached for his pocket he should have thought about what he was doing and left his card where it was.

It boils down to this - the ref had fúcking no common sense.

In a game of that importance, when the tie was on a knife edge, when the player was already on a yellow, when there is a large possibility he didn't hear the whistle (I think he would have to be given the benefit of the doubt here regardless of what the ref believed him or not)... issuing a second yellow and a red there is just criminal.

One second between blowing the whistle and van Persie kicking the ball, and he's straight to his pocket to send him off. That is just a moronic decision. This is the kind of shít that there is no place for in modern refereeing. Whatever about getting major penalty decisions etc. wrong, mistakes can happen unfortunately. What the ref did last night was just retarded and before he reached for his pocket he should have thought about what he was doing and left his card where it was.

The more I think about it, the more I think he did it to give Barca an advantage, not because he thought it was right.

Think about it, there was half an hour left, it was 1-1, there was a real danger of Barcelona going out. He probably found out at half time that he should have awarded Barca a nail on penalty. There's 95,000 people in the stadium and he knows all of UEFA want Barca in the competition. He didn't want to be made the scape goat and panicked. He found any excuse he could to get Barca back into it, so he sent RVP off.

That's my theory anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Quazzie wrote: »
    Very few are saying its the ref's fault. He did ruin the game though. As an Arsenal fan I think we were defending well and it would've been very interesting to see, with an outlet from the defense to give us some ease of pressure, could we have held on until the 90 minutes lapsed. A very poor decision by a ref, that soaked up the catalan crowd, and totally submitted to their cheers. For me its just a pity that we are talking more about the ref today than about Barca's attacking football. If they tore us to shreds I'd stick my hand up and say it, but they didn't. Despite all their possession and shots, when RVP was sent off we were winning, and pretty soon after we were losing. To say one didn't have any effect on the other is either naive or incredibly stupid.

How the hell can you say the sending off changed any thing at all? What did ye do with this outlet out of defence for the 56 minutes he was on the pitch? NADA.. Ye were starved of the ball by a better Barcelona team. To suggest ye could have won if he had not been sent off is incredibly stupid to be honest. He was on the field for 56 minutes didn't even manage a shot on target.
    Blame Wenger and his negative approach to this game, an early goal would have seen them through, but he must have been frightened by Barca, and that ultimately was your demise. Arsene may as well just quit his job now, using the ref as a scape goat only makes him look foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The more I think about it, the more I think he did it to give Barca an advantage, not because he thought it was right.

Think about it, there was half an hour left, it was 1-1, there was a real danger of Barcelona going out. He probably found out at half time that he should have awarded Barca a nail on penalty. There's 95,000 people in the stadium and he knows all of UEFA want Barca in the competition. He didn't want to be made the scape goat and panicked. He found any excuse he could to get Barca back into it, so he sent RVP off.

That's my theory anyway.

Rosicky probably had a talk with the ref at half time too, telling that RVP's hearing isn't too good. Interpol will love love that.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    How the hell can you say the sending off changed any thing at all? What did ye do with this outlet out of defence for the 56 minutes he was on the pitch? NADA.. Ye were starved of the ball by a better Barcelona team. To suggest ye could have won if he had not been sent off is incredibly stupid to be honest. He was on the field for 56 minutes didn't even manage a shot on target.
    Blame Wenger and his negative approach to this game, an early goal would have seen them through, but he must have been frightened by Barca, and that ultimately was your demise. Arsene may as well just quit his job now, using the ref as a scape goat only makes him look foolish.

We were winning the tie. We didn't need to win the game. All we needed to do was hold out for 34 minutes without conceding. Something that became too much when we were down to 10 men. Are you seriously claiming that having a man sent off has no effect on the performance of a team? Or are you claiming that the mighty Barcelona couldn't possibly not score in 34 minuted of football?

• Advertisement

you were hanging on but the chances were coming thick and fast. Also, had the red have correctly given the penalty for the foul on Messi in the 1st half, would you still have been winning when RVP went?

I agree with you BTW, Arsenal were playing the anti football that they hate so much, very well. I was very impressed with Djourou, Nasri and Wilshire last night.

Do you know how incredibly stupid your post is.

Firts 60 mins of the game gone 11 v 11 and it's 1-1.
    Last 30 mins of the game left 11 v 10 and it's 2-0 Barca.

Explain this, since you seem to know everything and have a crystal ball in front of you.

That's my theory anyway.

Is that you Jim Corr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You see when you win the first leg, you don't actually need to win the second leg. That's the way these things work.

Do you know how incredibly stupid your post is.

Firts 60 mins of the game gone 11 v 11 and it's 1-1.
    Last 30 mins of the game left 11 v 10 and it's 2-0 Barca.

Explain this, since you seem to know everything and have a crystal ball in front of you.

Ok, I will explain seen as you need it spelled right out for you. Busquests scored an OG did you not see it? That means not one Arsenal player was actually able to get the ball any where near the Barcelona area to get a shot away. Hence the 1-1, not any direct involvement by Mr V.Pussie.

Oh also, the crystal ball I have is just a modified version of the one Arsene used last night when he was so sure ye would have won. Despite the fact ye could not keep the ball for more than 4,5 passes.

• Advertisement

you were hanging on but the chances were coming thick and fast. Also, had the red have correctly given the penalty for the foul on Messi in the 1st half, would you still have been winning when RVP went?

I agree with you BTW, Arsenal were playing the anti football that they hate so much, very well. I was very impressed with Djourou, Nasri and Wilshire last night.

Which Arsenal player should have been sent off in the first half? You can't seriously be suggesting that the penalty incident was deserving of a red card for Diaby?

If anything, Barca should have been down to 10 men in the first half when Abidal caught RVP by the throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Ok, I will explain seen as you need it spelled right out for you. Busquests scored an OG did you not see it? That means not one Arsenal player was actually able to get the ball any where near the Barcelona area to get a shot away. Hence the 1-1, not any direct involvement by Mr V.Pussie.

Oh also, the crystlas ball I have is just a modified version of the one Arsene used last night when he was so sure ye would have won. Despite the fact ye could not keep the ball for more than 4,5 passes.

In the second half the ball kept coming back towards our goal because we had no striker. Nobody to hold the ball up. Nobody knows what would have happened 11 v 11 but Barca would have committed more men forward leading to counter-attacks.

Oh also, the crystlas ball I have is just a modified version of the one Arsene used last night when he was so sure ye would have won. Despite the fact ye could keep the ball for more than 4,5 passes.

Funny that you say ''ye'' to me when I'm a Utd fan.

My point was that Barca had 60 mins 11 v 11 and only scored 1 goal themselves. So how can you categorically say that they would have scored 2, let alone 1 in the final 30 mins of play 11 v 11. Only half the time they had when they could only manage the 1 goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well for one thing Barca would surely have tired. Their pressing game when Arsenal had the ball was amazing (I've never seen such a suffocation of a team before ) but surely towards the end Barca would have tired and opportunities would have come our way with 11 v 11 The Van Persie sending off ensured that wasn't to happen.

Ok, I will explain seen as you need it spelled right out for you. Busquests scored an OG did you not see it? That means not one Arsenal player was actually able to get the ball any where near the Barcelona area to get a shot away.
    Who crossed in the corner, Xavi or Iniesta? Like to admit it or not, the OG came from a corner that we won the corner at a time when RVP and Nasri were actually getting the ball up the field and relieving the pressure on the defense. Were you even looking at the game?
    Hence the 1-1, not any direct involvement by Mr V.Pussie.
    Are you 12?

Is that you Jim Corr?

No, it was a suggestion.

Nobody else seems to have found a reason as to why he did what he did.

Which Arsenal player should have been sent off in the first half? You can't seriously be suggesting that the penalty incident was deserving of a red card for Diaby?

If anything, Barca should have been down to 10 men in the first half when Abidal caught RVP by the throat.

KOS, like Song in the 1st leg, should have gone for persistent fouling. Diaby was lucky not to be booked for the penalty that should have been. Was he booked in the game?

Ok, if Abidal has to go then so does RvP since he also raised his hands to an opponents face. Well done. But do keep up the conspiracy theories, your meltdown here is most entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

KOS, like Song in the 1st leg, should have gone for persistent fouling. Diaby was lucky not to be booked for the penalty that should have been. Was he booked in the game?

Ok, if Abidal has to go then so does RvP since he also raised his hands to an opponents face. Well done. But do keep up the conspiracy theories, your meltdown here is moat entertaining.

Koscielny should have been sent-off after RVP red card.

Abidal got nothing and RVP a yellow so why didn't abidal get a yellow so?

Who crossed in the corner, Xavi or Iniesta? Like to admit it or not, the OG came from a corner that we won the corner at a time when RVP and Nasri were actually getting the ball up the field and relieving the pressure on the defense. Were you even looking at the game?

Are you 12?

Tbh, don't quote him anymore in this thread, he's on my ignore list now.

How can you possibly engage in debate with that type of lingo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Oh also, the crystal ball I have is just a modified version of the one Arsene used last night when he was so sure ye would have won. Despite the fact ye could not keep the ball for more than 4,5 passes.

Either you're trolling or you're dribbling spaghetti hoops down your chin as you type.

• Advertisement

Ok, if Abidal has to go then so does RvP since he also raised his hands to an opponents face. Well done. But do keep up the conspiracy theories, your meltdown here is most entertaining.

Nope, he wasn't booked. So you get a straight red for persistent fouling these days? News to me. That's BS tbh, no way Diaby deserved to go.

The RVP incident was very different to the Abidal one. Alve's head was lowered and RVP bearly flicked him while his eyes were on the ball. Abidal caught him by the throat when the ball wasn't in play. Totally different.

Ha, meltdown. Yeah you keep believing that son:rolleyes:

greendom wrote: »
    Well for one thing Barca would surely have tired. Their pressing game when Arsenal had the ball was amazing (I've never seen such a suffocation of a team before ) but surely towards the end Barca would have tired and opportunities would have come our way with 11 v 11 The Van Persie sending off ensured that wasn't to happen.

But how do you know Barcelona would have tired? That in itself is the act of fortune telling. Barca were up for the game last night and if it wasn't for Almunia Arsenal could have been really embarresed last night.

As for without VP the ball kept coming back at ye, was it not doing that with him on the pitch no? Fair enough it was 1-1 BUT can you really say Barca would not have ended up scoring any way? I mean come on they out classed Arsenal last night!! With our without VP on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think the ref was just really inept.
    I don't think Wenger implied last night that the sending off wasn't by the letter of the law.
    His claim that the ref obviously hasn't played football is bang on.

A little bit of common sense and to call RVP aside and give him a bollocking would suffice and tell him calm down cos RVP was pumped up.

I have a feeling the RVP did see the flag go up but we'll never know as we were all told to play to the whistle and imo RVP did play to the whistle as 1 second is hardly crime of the century.

I think the ref didn't send Konscielny off towards the end cos he had the other red card in the back of his mind.

He also got the penalty decision wrong in the first half.
    For some reason UEFA pick really sh1t refs sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

The Van Persie second yellow was a bad decision so was the missed penalty on Messi.
    If Van Persie had not been shown the second yellow and IF (that's a very big if) Arsenal had held on, it would been a crime against football. A stat came up shortly after the equaliser showing 16 attempts for Barca and 0 for Arsenal. The better team by a mile won anyone who things differently is dillusional.

gosplan wrote: »
    Either you're trolling or you're dribbling spaghetti hoops down your chin as you type.

neither my friend but if it makes it easier for you all to digest what I am saying then go ahead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But how do you know Barcelona would have tired? That in itself is the act of fortune telling. Barca were up for the game last night and if it wasn't for Almunia Arsenal could have been really embarresed last night.

As for without VP the ball kept coming back at ye, was it not doing that with him on the pitch no? Fair enough it was 1-1 BUT can you really say Barca would not have ended up scoring any way? I mean come on they out classed Arsenal last night!! With our without VP on the field.

Well they did at the Emirates - chances are it would have happened again.

Barca always looked more likely to score than Arsenal. The ref reduced Arsenal's chances even further

patmac wrote: »
    The Van Persie second yellow was a bad decision so was the missed penalty on Messi.
    If Van Persie had not been shown the second yellow and IF (that's a very big if) Arsenal had held on, it would been a crime against football. A stat came up shortly after the equaliser showing 16 attempts for Barca and 0 for Arsenal. The better team by a mile won anyone who things differently is dillusional.

Nobody is arguing that Barcelona didn't deserve it.

So it was a footballing crime last season when Inter knocked them out by doing the exact same thing at the Nou Camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Some lad on here says the sending off didnt change the game but if that Bendner chance in the 88min had of fallen to van persie there was a better chance it was back of the net. He might of been subbed before that but you never know. What the hell happened to Fabregas last night, was muck.

greendom wrote: »
    Well they did at the Emirates - chances are it would have happened again.

Barca always looked more likely to score than Arsenal. The ref reduced Arsenal's chances even further
    I'm not sure Barca tired in the first leg.
    I think they were cocky and took their foot off the gas

• Advertisement

Nobody is arguing that Barcelona didn't deserve it.

So it was a footballing crime last season when Inter knocked them out by doing the exact same thing at the Nou Camp?

Yes considering Bojan had a perfectly legitimate goal dis-aloud in the dying minutes of the game which would have seen them through to the finals.

Yes considering Bojan had a perfectly legitimate goal dis-aloud in the dying minutes of the game which would have seen them through to the finals.

No I remember Toure hand balled in the lead up, it was not legitimate.

Besides, you have completely missed my point.

Inter's philosophy at the Nou Camp was the same as Arsenals, yet nobody critisiced them afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

patmac wrote: »
    If Van Persie had not been shown the second yellow and IF (that's a very big if) Arsenal had held on, it would been a crime against football.

absolute bollocks.

in that case, just give Barca every trophy going now. because anyone else winning is a 'crime against football'.

they dominate EVERY game.

rightly or wrongly, Arsenal were holding out until the sending off.

Barca were unreal, but apart from the peno that should've been given, did they create a huge amount of clear-cut opportunities? Arsenal were doing ok on that front.

as much as i respect Barca, and i really do, suggesting them going out of the competition would be a crime against football is laughable. teams have to find a way to beat Barca. Arsenal took their chances in the first leg, and put themselves in a position where they could try to defend what they had; which they were doing well. that was the plan, and, with a little luck, they were on their way.

it wasn't a crime they were in that position. Arsenal are a very, very good team who'd have been a worthy quarter finalist if it had come to that.

gav86 wrote: »
    Some lad on here says the sending off didnt change the game but if that Bendner chance in the 88min had of fallen to van persie there was a better chance it was back of the net. He might of been subbed before that but you never know. What the hell happened to Fabregas last night, was muck.
    I think RVP would have taken that chance too but i also think he'd have been taken off before the 88th minute cos he's been out for a few weeks.
    All ifs and buts and maybes.
    Very annoying for Arsenal fans i'm sure.
    Football bites you in the arse sometimes but we still love it

No I remember Toure hand balled in the lead up, it was not legitimate.

Besides, you have completely missed my point.

Inter's philosophy at the Nou Camp was the same as Arsenals, yet nobody critisiced them afterwards.

Really they didn't? The term Parked the Bus was used to describe the way Inter played that night. Arsenal didn't play the same as inter that night in practice. There was nothing ugly about Arsenal last night. With two banks of 4 at the bank. Yes it is playing to their strengths but, it was a crime against the game.

Also here's the disaloud Bojan goal, that handball was extremely harsh considering the way the game had gone.

Its funny im watching the match again here (sky plus ftw) and the pundits on both sky and tv 3 said at half time that Barca hadn't allowed Arsenal to play yet and they were superb, why is it that half the world feels Arsenal would have scored with VP on the field. He was chasing shadows for the 56 minutes he was!

@Slickric well said. Arsenal were not playing unfairly last night. In fact for a team that struggled all night I thought they were well disciplined.

All in all Arsenal got closer to beating Barcelona fairly than any other team has in Europe in a long time!

Also I was wondering who people thought man of the match should have been?

SlickRic wrote: »
    absolute bollocks.

in that case, just give Barca every trophy going now. because anyone else winning is a 'crime against football'.

they dominate EVERY game.

rightly or wrongly, Arsenal were holding out until the sending off.

Barca were unreal, but apart from the peno that should've been given, did they create a huge amount of clear-cut opportunities? Arsenal were doing ok on that front.

as much as i respect Barca, and i really do, suggesting them going out of the competition would be a crime against football is laughable. teams have to find a way to beat Barca. Arsenal took their chances in the first leg, and put themselves in a position where they could try to defend what they had; which they were doing well. that was the plan, and, with a little luck, they were on their way.

it wasn't a crime they were in that position. Arsenal are a very, very good team who'd have been a worthy quarter finalist if it had come to that.

Completely agree.

Here are the stats from the Inter game last year.

Possession
    Barcelona76% Inter Milan24%

Attempts on target
    Barcelona7 Inter Milan0

Attempts off target
    Barcelona9 Inter Milan0

Corners
    Barcelona9 Inter Milan2

Fouls
    Barcelona14 Inter Milan12

Yet nobody said anything about them having no attempts on goal.

The way they done Barca and the way Arsenal tried to, is probably the only fucking way to beat them at Camp Nou.

To suggest otherwise, is absurd.

• Advertisement

I thought Arsenal defended very well last night. I don't criticise them at all for defending. My only criticism is their sore losing.
    Nope, he wasn't booked. So you get a straight red for persistent fouling these days? News to me. That's BS tbh, no way Diaby deserved to go.

The RVP incident was very different to the Abidal one. Alve's head was lowered and RVP bearly flicked him while his eyes were on the ball. Abidal caught him by the throat when the ball wasn't in play. Totally different.

Ha, meltdown. Yeah you keep believing that son:rolleyes:

Where did I say he should get a straight red? I said he would and should have been booked for a stupidly late foul that should have neen a penalty.

Kos was lucky not to accumulate a 2nd red for persistent fouling.

No, they were the same. Both players intentionally raised their hands to their opponents face. Saying one or other had to go but not both is BS and biased. Both should have gone. Neither did, so fair enough.

Yes, meltdown. Conspiracy theories. Failure to see that Arsenal were stooped even before the red. Over stating the significance of it. Claiming I'm your son, I've never even met you. You're losing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I can't stand all this bollox about crimes against football. Football is about winning, the team who puts the ball into the net more times than the other team over the course of a tie will go through, and that is simply the most important thing, in fact its the only important thing.

A lot of people here are going on about how Barcelona deserve this and that for their style of play will criticize Arsenal week in week out in the league for doing effectively the same thing.

Barca are the best footballing side in the world, but they are beatable. Unfortunately, the best way to beat them is by using negative, defensive anti-football. This is what Arsenal tried last night, but unfortunately for them they aren't as good at it as some other teams are.

I'm robbing this one from a fellow Chelsea fan from a couple of years back, for me its a funny analogy -
    If you're hunting a lion, you don't run at him looking all snarly and angry just because that's what he does, if you do, you'll get torn apart.

Really they didn't? The term Parked the Bus was used to describe the way Inter played that night. With two banks of 4 at the bank. Yes it is playing to their strengths but, it was a crime against the game.

Also here's the disaloud Bojan goal, that handball was extremely harsh considering the way the game had gone.

Its funny im watching the match again here (sky plus ftw) and the pundits on both sky and tv 3 said at half time that Barca hadn't allowed Arsenal to play yet and they were superb, why is it that half the world feels Arsenal would have scored with VP on the field. He was chasing shadows for the 56 minutes he was!

@Slickric well said. Arsenal were not playing unfairly last night. In fact for a team that struggled all night I thought they were well disciplined.

All in all Arsenal got closer to beating Barcelona fairly than any other team has in Europe in a long time!

Also I was wondering who people thought man of the match should have been?

It was not a crime against the game, teams can play football what ever way they want as long it is consigned to the rules of the game.

How can you say a handball decision was harsh with respect to the context of the rest of the game? A decision should not be influenced with respect to ''how a game panned out'' and should be taken on it's own merits.

With regards the RVP thing, it has already been explained over and over again. It is not as if RVP was a passenger just because he didn't have much of a say in an attacking sense while he was on the pitch. He was making runs, holding up the ball, marking at set pieces and was an outlet. He would have been a serious danger on the counter attack when Barcelona were steaming forward, as they had to do at 1-1. How can you not grasp this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Barca put immense pressure on them from the beginning, Arsenal was forced back.
    I really dont think Arsenal choose to park the bus, Barca made them.

Nice stat about the ref. So far he has been refereeing 29 matches involving a Spanish team. Never a Spanish team lost with him on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Malty_T wrote: »
    Just curious Sean, did you hear the Whistle that RVP didn't? Also, you lucky fooker.

Truth be told i didn't, but I think the Barca players stopped. Anytime arsenal had the ball it was constant whistling, I've never heard that kind of noise in any other game....generally it's a church

Tickets werent too hard to come by in the end, else I got lucky. Was at the emirates too for the first leg when we lost, and was nearly ready to cry when I thought déjà-vu was gonna happen after buckets own goal :p

Watching the match on telly now, recorded on sky, as you miss certain things at the game...I.e the whistle etc

So far I didn't realise how well the arsenal defence played in the 1st half, as during the match I was more caught up with Barca not breaking through

• Advertisement
Advertisement