Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barça -v- Arsenal, Champions league Last 16 2nd leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I thought Arsenal defended very well last night. I don't criticise them at all for defending. My only criticism is their sore losing.

That post you quoted wasn't directed at you.

Where did I say he should get a straight red? I said he would and should have been booked for a stupidly late foul that should have neen a penalty.

Kos was lucky not to accumulate a 2nd red for persistent fouling.

No, they were the same. Both players intentionally raised their hands to their opponents face. Saying one or other had to go but not both is BS and biased. Both should have gone. Neither did, so fair enough.

Yes, meltdown. Conspiracy theories. Failure to see that Arsenal were stopped even before the red. Over stating the significance of it. Claiming I'm your son, I've never even met you. You're losing it!

I took you up wrong on Diaby, apologies. With regards KOS getting sent off, that was AFTER RVP was sent off. It would have been largely irrelevant had KOS gone then as Barca had already scored and had their tails between their legs.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on the Alves and Abidal incidents. Abidal's intent was clearly shown and it was off the ball. RVP's eyes were on the ball and nobody can prove their was any intent with the flick on Alves, who had his head lowered.

Tbh, if you can't grasp that Arsenal had a much better chance of progression 11 v 11 and can't see the massive significance of the sending off then you are the one who is losing it.
    It's funny that you call me biased and accuse me of experiencing a meltdown seeing as I'm a Utd fan;)

That post you quoted wasn't directed at you.

I took you up wrongon the Diaby, apologies. With regards KOS getting sent off, that was AFTER RVP was sent off. It would have been largely irrelevant had KOS gone then as Barca had already scored and had their tails between their legs.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on the Alves and Abidal incidents. Abidal's intent was clearly shown and it was off the ball. RVP's eyes were on the ball and nobody can prove their was any intent with the flick on Alves, who had his head lowered.

Tbh, if you can't grasp that Arsenal had a much better chance of progression 11 v 11 then you are the one who is losing it.
    It's funny that you call me biased and accuse me of experiencing a meltdown seeing as I'm a Utd fan;)

No worries.

Yes there's a difference between 11 v 11 and being a man down, but my point is that I believe Arsenal would have lost anyway. They were being started of the ball. They had created absolutely nothing. And they had ridden their luck with some previous decisions.

Re the Alves intent issue, it came seconds after a heated exchange over putting the ball out, it certainly looked intentional.

I'm also a United fan BTW. Doesn't mean that saying that Abidal should have gone whilst excusing RvP isn't bias. Could be pro EPL bias, anti Barca bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No worries.

Yes there's a difference between 11 v 11 and being a man down, but my point is that I believe Arsenal would have lost anyway. They were being started of the ball. They had created absolutely nothing. And they had ridden their luck with some previous decisions.

Re the Alves intent issue, it came seconds after a heated exchange over putting the ball out, it certainly looked intentional.

I'm also a United fan BTW. Doesn't mean that saying that Abidal should have gone whilst excusing RvP isn't bias. Could be pro EPL bias, anti Barca bias.

Thats opinion so its incredibly egotistical to believe it as fact and dismiss all other opinions as delusional, or claiming they are 'losing it'.

No worries.

If you think about it though, the amount of clear cut chances created by Barca was very few before the sending off. They went 60mins of dominating but could only score one goal, which was the result of a stupid Fabregas backheel. When Arsenal went down to 10, the must have created 6 or 7 clear cut chances. That, for me signals a huge impact. Based on that reasoning, I think Arsenal had a great chance of keeping them out for 30 mins with 11 v 11 or at least take it to extra time. You say they created nothing, they didn't need to create anything at 1-1.

I can see where your coming from here. But think of it this way, if RVP wasn't involved in a heated exchange minutes earlier, do you think the Barca players would have responded the same and surrounded the referee because of an innocuous looking flick? I doubt it, but that's up for debate. Would he have even been booked if it had not been for that heated exchange moments before? Possibly, but who knows?

At least that's something we can agree on.:D But yeah, I'm not bias at all. I love watching Barca play and happy the better team progressed, but I would have preferred to see it happen under fairer circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    neither my friend but if it makes it easier for you all to digest what I am saying then go ahead :)

The problem is that what you're saying makes you come across as either purposefully irrational or very immature.
    Arsene may as well just quit his job now
    Mr V.Pussie.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Thats opinion so its incredibly egotistical to believe it as fact and dismiss all other opinions as delusional, or claiming they are 'losing it'.

the "losing it" remark was clearly in jest and clearly not related to that opinion.

Secondly, I watched the game, saw 1 team dominating the other, and coming into the final half hour I saw 1 team creating chances and putting massive pressure on the away side. I saw the away side beginning to look tired and I never saw Arsenal scoring, even with rvp on.

The stats don't lie, IMO Arsenal could have had 12 men and they'd still have been rudderless outside of their own half.

The only thing RvP contributed was winning a comical corner when he had gotten the last 2 touches, and lose his head in the 1st half. I'm basing that opinion on thhe previous 600 mins where Barca created a lot and should have had a penalty vs arsenal creating zero chances and riding their luck to hang in there. It's an opinion based on what I saw, but yes, im egotistical. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

the "losing it" remark was clearly in jest and clearly not related to that opinion.

Secondly, I watched the game, saw 1 team dominating the other, and coming into the final half hour I saw 1 team creating chances and putting massive pressure on the away side. I saw the away side beginning to look tired and I never saw Arsenal scoring, even with rvp on.

The stats don't lie, IMO Arsenal could have had 12 men and they'd still have been rudderless outside of their own half.

The only thing RvP contributed was winning a comical corner when he had gotten the last 2 touches, and lose his head in the 1st half. I'm basing that opinion on thhe previous 600 mins where Barca created a lot and should have had a penalty vs arsenal creating zero chances and riding their luck to hang in there. It's an opinion based on what I saw, but yes, im egotistical. Well done.

I just feel that coming towards the end of the game with 11v11 and a couple of subs comin on we would have got into the game more and had a couple more chances like we did in the first leg. It's just a pity that the ref didn't see sense.

L'prof wrote: »
    I just feel that coming towards the end of the game with 11v11 and a couple of subs comin on we would have got into the game more and had a couple more chances like we did in the first leg. It's just a pity that the ref didn't see sense.

Absolutely. And thats a fair enough view. What irritates me is that Barca were bloody awesome last night, and some people here are making out like Barca got lucky and were incapable of scoring/winning without ref aid. Which is nonsense.

Absolutely. And thats a fair enough view. What irritates me is that Barca were bloody awesome last night, and some people here are making out like Barca got lucky and were incapable of scoring/winning without ref aid. Which is nonsense.

I don't think I've seen that implied at all to be fair and if it was, then it was of course nonsense. Barcelona are very capable of scoring against any team, but we did a very good job of keeping them at bay up until the sending off.

It wasn't pretty to watch as an Arsenal fan, but because of the pressure that Barca put on us when we had possession, we were unable to get our passing game going at all. van Persie became a vital outlet to relieve some of that pressure and I definitely feel we would have coped much better in the final half hour with him still on the pitch.

We only went out by a goal remember, so it's not inconceivable to imagine that we were capable of conceding 1 less or scoring one more with 11 men on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

L'prof wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen that implied at all to be fair and if it was, then it was of course nonsense. Barcelona are very capable of scoring against any team, but we did a very good job of keeping them at bay up until the sending off.

It wasn't pretty to watch as an Arsenal fan, but because of the pressure that Barca put on us when we had possession, we were unable to get our passing game going at all. van Persie became a vital outlet to relieve some of that pressure and I definitely feel we would have coped much better in the final half hour with him still on the pitch.

We only went out by a goal remember, so it's not inconceivable to imagine that we were capable of conceding 1 less or scoring one more with 11 men on the pitch.

Look i'm going to be brutally honest here.
    1. Arsenal are a great team and in the first match (in London) they outplayed Barca for the Majority of the second half. They were in control.
    2. Last night Barcelona won, not because of a harsh ref's decision (which as a Barca fan I admit it was) but because they played the better football.
    3. Yes it was 1-1 when V.P was sent off but for Wenger to claim it changed the game, is wrong. Barca dominated the game (not the score line) until then, and continued to do so after.
    4. If Wenger really does feel hard done by the ref well then Pep has every right to be upset about the first leg and how Messi's goal was not offside.
    5. Arsenal are probably the most improved side in the Champions league and EPL over the last few months. And with the likes of Theo and Wilshire the club has a bright future and I don't mean 2, 3 seasons. I expect them to win silverware sooner.

Sorry rant over, i'm having to read back through the thread and had allot to vent! xD

Now please lets just stop taking away from what this two legged match has been. Enthralling, exhilarating and at time's breath taking BY BOTH TEAMS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You mean the last half hour after the sending off? After the sending off and second goal Arsenal were a different team, did you see the lack of reaction when the penalty was given?
    Barce created very little in the first hour, a goal from a defensive fcuk up and a snapshot off the post. They had a lot of near-chances but Kos and Djourou snuffed out a lot of through-balls and put in tackles to prevent shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Arsenal were only still in the tie up until RVP went off thanks to Messi's disallowed goal and the clear penalty he was refused. Why is this glossed over? If Barcelona got the decisions they justly should've had it would most likely have been game over with 30 mins to play.

Look at the whole fixture and stop crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Arsenal weren't given a fair chance.

You can all come up with as many if situations as you want, but it is a simple fact - they were unfairly forced to play 11v10 for a significant period of the game!

They dominated possession, but it was still 1-1 until RVP got sent off.

Don't try and make out that losing RVP was no advantage to Barca, your deluding yourself!

Barca only got their second in the 70th minute...

Loco wrote: »

You can all come up with as many if situations as you want, but it is a simple fact - they were unfairly forced to play 11v10 for a significant period of the game!

head-in-the-sand.jpg

Harsh sending off yes, but you can't deny the facts. If Messi's perfectly good goal stood and if he tucked away the penalty he should've had, that would have left Arsenal needing two lucky own goals to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

They dominated possession, but it was still 1-1 until RVP got sent off.

Don't try and make out that losing RVP was no advantage to Barca, your deluding yourself!

Barca only got their second in the 70th minute...
    There's always going to be injustices in football.RVP was unlucky last night.
    Jamie Carragher was lucky on Sunday gone.
    We don't know how the game would have panned out if RVP had stayed on.
    I personally feel Barca would have still won but its only a guess.

Wenger and Nasri charged by UEFA

Yep - last night was actually sickening though! I lost a huge amount of interest in the game as soon as it happened.

Who knows, with RVP still on, Arsenal may have conceded even more goals as they attempt to push forward. Thats another if though.

Simple fact is they weren't given a fair chance!

Yep - last night was actually sickening though! I lost a huge amount of interest in the game as soon as it happened.

Who knows, with RVP still on, Arsenal may have conceded even more goals as they attempt to push forward. Thats another if though.

Simple fact is they weren't given a fair chance!
    I wouldn't disagree with you Rafa;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fúcking hell, of course they were given a fair chance. what cloud are you on?

they got a bad decision at a poxy time that affected the game, absolutely.

but you have to look at the whole game as well; Barca had a fair share of dodgy decisions too.

it's just unfortunate for Arsenal that the ref made such a monumental fúck up with VP.

Anyone who claims that Barcelona would have won the game regardless of the sending off is talking complete nonsense.

The sending off had a definite impact on the game.

It is NOT POSSIBLE to determine whether the sending off had an impact on the result. However, one thing is for sure… The ensuing passages of play would have been completely different had all players been on the pitch, e.g.:

Different passes made
    Different decisions made
    Greater defensive ability of Arsenal
    Greater attacking possibilities for Arsenal
    Possibility of interceptions being made that were not due to lack of personnel
    The different mind-set of each set of players
    The effect of tiredness on the player-reduced side…

Even if VP had just stood around and done nothing for the remainder of the game – his presence would have had an effect on the passages of play from both sides.

Multiple different variations of play. – All will have had an effect on the passage of play.

Sure, Barcelona looked fantastic and were clearly the better side. They MAY still have gone on to win the game, but they would have had to do it differently to the way they did, such is the nature of the impact of the decision and the (few) variables highlighted.

By the very nature of this FACT, it is impossible to determine that the sending off did not impact on the game and potentially cost Arsenal the tie and their CL hopes.

SlickRic wrote: »
    fúcking hell, of course they were given a fair chance. what cloud are you on?

the one closer to the ground than yours

Anyone who claims that Barcelona would have won the game regardless of the sending off is talking complete nonsense.

The sending off had a definite impact on the game.

It is NOT POSSIBLE to determine whether the sending off had an impact on the result. However, one thing is for sure… The ensuing passages of play would have been completely different had all players been on the pitch, e.g.:

Different passes made
    Different decisions made
    Greater defensive ability of Arsenal
    Greater attacking possibilities for Arsenal
    Possibility of interceptions being made that were not due to lack of personnel
    The different mind-set of each set of players
    The effect of tiredness on the player-reduced side…

Even if VP had just stood around and done nothing for the remainder of the game – his presence would have had an effect on the passages of play from both sides.

Multiple different variations of play. – All will have had an effect on the passage of play.

Sure, Barcelona looked fantastic and were clearly the better side. They MAY still have gone on to win the game, but they would have had to do it differently to the way they did, such is the nature of the impact of the decision and the (few) variables highlighted.

By the very nature of this FACT, it is impossible to determine that the sending off did not impact on the game and potentially cost Arsenal the tie and their CL hopes.

2007-07-17-captainobvious.jpg

Chances are Barcelona would have won but you're right, we just can't say with 100% certainty.

the one closer to the ground than yours

mmmmhmmm.

now go watch the whole game, and all the decisions made, and tell me that Arsenal weren't 'given a fair chance'.

that's a fairly OTT statement on the tie IMO.

they got a bad decision at a shít time, that's it.

but Barca can probably claim the same thing on some decisions.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    2007-07-17-captainobvious.jpg

Chances are Barcelona would have won but you're right, we just can't say with 100% certainty.

I know it's obvious, but some people can't grasp it.

I also take your point that Barca were hard done by with certain decisions but invariably people will debate the decisions that go against the losing side. Also the decisions that went against Barca were earlier in the tie and they were left with plenty of time to do something about them and their ability to do this wasn't impaired as they had 11 men on the pitch at all times. You have to weight the decisions accordingly, it's not as simple as one cancelling out the other.

• Advertisement

I know it's obvious, but some people can't grasp it.

I also take your point that Barca were hard done by with certain decisions but invariably people will debate the decisions that go against the losing side. Also the decisions that went against Barca were earlier in the tie and they were left with plenty of time to do something about them and their ability to do this wasn't impaired as they had 11 men on the pitch at all times. You have to weight the decisions accordingly, it's not as simple as one cancelling out the other.

One is no fairer than the other, a wrong decision is a wrong decision. If all the decisions were correct i believe the tie would've been effectively over by halftime last night.

Saying well Barcelona had time to do something about it is a little ridiculous imo.

One is no fairer than the other, a wrong decision is a wrong decision. If all the decisions were correct i believe the tie would've been effectively over by halftime last night.

Saying well Barcelona had time to do something about it is a little ridiculous imo.

I said Barca had plenty of time AND 11 men to do something about it.

Of course the timing of bad decisions is important. Not only that, different decisions affect different teams. Anyone could see last night that Arsenal were seriously affected by going down to 10 men. Were Inter last season when Motta was shown red? No doubt they were hindered, but to the same extent as Arsenal? No chance.

All wrong decisions do not equal each other so therefore they can not cancel each other out. And IMO Arsenal were fucked over more than Barca.

This is all my opinion of course.;)

I said Barca had plenty of time AND 11 men to do something about it.

Of course the timing of bad decisions is important. Not only that, different decisions affect different teams. Anyone could see last night that Arsenal were seriously affected by going down to 10 men. Were Inter last season when Motta was shown red? No doubt they were hindered, but to the same extent as Arsenal? No chance.

All wrong decisions do not equal each other so therefore they can not cancel each other out. And IMO Arsenal were fucked over more than Barca.

This is all my opinion of course.;)

Please stop this time foolishness. A bad decision is bad at any time. You could say the decisions left Arsenal with more time to capitalise on them. Barca had more time to concede goals.

And if all wrong decisions don't equal eachother i put it to you that an away goal is more important than a sending off with 40 mins to go when all you need to do is hold on.

Barcelona had no time to score a precious away goal last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

After looking back at the clip im gonna take back what i said earlier about vp hearing the whistle. Ref should have used some common sense!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Harsh sending off yes, but you can't deny the facts. If Messi's perfectly good goal stood and if he tucked away the penalty he should've had, that would have left Arsenal needing two lucky own goals to go through.

OK. I can't even attempt to deny that Barca are a superior team. Arsenal had rode their luck a bit in both legs, though they also defended superbly (which is lovely to be able to say) but if they had gone through it would have been the world's ultimate smash and grab. All that said Barca do have a weakness and Arsenal very nearly exploited it over 180 minutes regardless of decisions(if only Bendtner wasn't so **** :mad:).

Now we could debate ref's decisions all day and clearly he got a couple wrong but my main problem with the RVP second yellow is that there's no precedent for it. I've never seen anything like it in a game of football and my main issue is what the hell possessed the ref to make a completely new type of decision at such a crucial point in such a crucial game?

Ref's and linesmen getting decisions wrong is one thing and Barca can feel aggrieved about one or two that didn't go their way. Arsenal also had both a penalty decision and an offside call go against them last weekend which caused them to drop two points in the league. I can take that because it's the kind of thing we're used to.

But for a ref to shift a standard of the game to a completely new place with 30 minutes to go in a finely poised champions league tie? It's ridiculous, totally ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What did Nasri say after the game that has him up on charges too?

mmmmhmmm.

now go watch the whole game, and all the decisions made, and tell me that Arsenal weren't 'given a fair chance'.

that's a fairly OTT statement on the tie IMO.

OTT? It purely a fact. RVP was sent off wrongfully giving Barca an advantage.

You can add up all the other fouls, penalty's and disallowed goals you want but the simple fact is Arsenal had a player wrongfully sent off at the most crucial time (when they needed to defend their aggregate LEAD)

And I have already watched the whole game, why would I want to watch it again? It was a farce.

adox wrote: »
    What did Nasri say after the game that has him up on charges too?

Apparently him and Wenger used "inappropriate language" towards the ref. I say fair play, he deserves it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Great result which when I left college at 8.50pm, went past the window of the Bleeding Horse and saw 1-1, I was worried:eek:

I've seen the game since and it was pretty comfortbale bar the Bendtner chance. Van Persie's red card had no impact on the game. Arsenal were in a winning position at 0-0 too and he may as well have been sitting on his sofa in London than be on the pitch standing in the centre circle scratching his hole. It made no difference to Arsenal's style or indeed prospect of attacking. They spent 55 minutes without a shot at goal with him on the pitch, they spent 40 minutes without a shot on goal without him.

I'd also say that if RvP really didn't hear the whistle, why was he taking a shot first time from 25 yards. If he wasn't offside, I doubt he'd done that unmarked in on goal. He knew he was offside.

But thankfully Barca held out and finally broke through. Disappointing that Arsenal fell in to the Germany trap of a good attacking team giving that up, but they're not the first and won't be the last. Barca dug themselves out of a ****ing hole from a dominant position 0-1 up in London. They can't always afford to do that.

<3 Abidal, <3 Xavi. I'd definitely agree with eagle eye, the ABBs are out in force. Any game that's in focus..possibly the complete performance in the Clasico, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. Shame really.

OTT? It purely a fact. RVP was sent off wrongfully giving Barca an advantage.

What advantage? They were playing with 10 men behind the ball all game. Van Persie was scratching his hole on the halfway line in the first half..

ABBs?

are people fúcking serious? ABBs?

Arsenal fans are pissed. they're not ABBs, they just want Arsenal to win, funnily enough.

Barca fans are defending their corner, funny that too.

then there's a bunch of people who are trying to take some sort of middle ground...some sympathetic with Arsenal, some with Barca. just because you may lean towards Arsenal as a neutral, doesn't make you an ABB.

also, Barca's higher profile players aren't the most likeable fellows apart from Guardiola, and arguably Messi, which doesn't help.

and this argument that RVP was doing nothing anyway is so flawed it's frightening. he still occupied a position on the pitch and gave Barca something to think about. that doesn't mean i'm an ABB by the way, that's just stating a fact. plus he could have been subbed. and if he had stayed on, and he had Bendtner's chance? might he have done better?

saying 'he was doing nothing anyway' is ridiculous IMO.

if, by some people's definition there are one or 2 ABBs around here, i genuinely shudder to think how many Barca 'fanboys' we can count up, who think they can do pretty much no wrong simply because they monopolise possession so well. and that doesn't include a lot of the proper Barca fans on these boards, who for the most part are genuine and honest in the appraisals of their team.

ABBs...

Lord have fúcking mercy.

/rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ABBs?
    ABBs...

/rant.

Call me the noob round these parts but what's an ABB?:o
    (I'm guessing anti barca bimbo or something...)

Malty_T wrote: »

exactly.

it's some new fangle term.

Anyone But Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'm guessing Anyone But Barca inspired by the phrase ABU, Anyone But United which I think was started by Des Cahill on RTE.

I am more of an ABC (Its as easy as 123).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Anybody but barca I think ;)

• Advertisement

/rant.

:D

How about Anyone But Busquets instead?

dfx- wrote: »
    How about Anyone But Busquets instead?

that may actually unite most of the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

that may actually unite most of the forum.

Not the Arsenal fans, I'd say they loved him for about 20 mins :P

He did the only thing of note for Arsenal last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What advantage? They were playing with 10 men behind the ball all game. Van Persie was scratching his hole on the halfway line in the first half..

The advantage that arsenal's best striker was no longer on the pitch and they were reduced to ten men. :rolleyes:
    The fact that some people can't seem to grasp that having a man sent off is bad for a team beggars belief!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Barcelona probably would have went on to win without RvP being sent off. The point is that when playing against the world's best team in their own fortress, where getting a result is a monumental task anyway, the visiting side does not need the ref sending off one of their best players for silly petty reasons.
    Would RvP have buried Bendtner's late chance? Possibly.
    Could having an extra man on the pitch for the rest of the game helped Arsenal weather the Barcelona storm? Possibly.
    we'll never know for certain, but to say it made no difference is a farcical sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

energizerthread.jpg

Galvasean wrote: »
    The advantage that arsenal's best striker was no longer on the pitch and they were reduced to ten men. :rolleyes:
    The fact that some people can't seem to grasp that having a man sent off is bad for a team beggars belief!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Barcelona probably would have went on to win without RvP being sent off. The point is that when playing against the world's best team in their own fortress, where getting a result is a monumental task anyway, the visiting side does not need the ref sending off one of their best players for silly petty reasons.
    Would RvP have buried Bendtner's late chance? Possibly.
    Could having an extra man on the pitch for the rest of the game helped Arsenal weather the Barcelona storm? Possibly.
    we'll never know for certain, but to say it made no difference is a farcical sentiment.

They might not need the decision, but that's not a reason to say it ruined the game or that it shouldn't be given. Inter got through with 10 men. It's not an impossible task. It didn't affect the balance or impetus of the previous 56 minutes because Arsenal were defending with 10 men anyway. Would RvP be on the pitch after 87 minutes? Probably not. So what definitive game changing impact did it have? Barcelona had ten men in front of them on 55 minutes and 10 men infront of them at 57 minutes.

They might not need the decision, but that's not a reason to say it ruined the game or that it shouldn't be given. Inter got through with 10 men. It's not an impossible task. It didn't affect the balance or impetus of the previous 56 minutes because Arsenal were defending with 10 men anyway. Would RvP be on the pitch after 87 minutes? Probably not. So what definitive game changing impact did it have?

10 men have more ground to cover than 11 men. RVP was also going to be a bigger threat on the counter against barca and regardless of how well any team plays there will always be chances for the weaker team. Also this Barca side is a lot better than the one that went out to Inter and Iniesta was a huge loss for that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

What sickens me about Barcelona as a team is even though there are probably the best team on the planet at the moment their antics for the whole game last night was bloody disgraceful.from the 1st minute whenever there was a foul and free kick given afew of the barca players would surround the referee putting pressure on him to issue a card.Thats probably why the ref gave RVP ared card for doing f**kall!

Colinboy wrote: »
    What sickens me about Barcelona as a team is even though there are probably the best team on the planet at the moment their antics for the whole game last night was bloody disgraceful.from the 1st minute whenever there was a foul and free kick given afew of the barca players would surround the referee putting pressure on him to issue a card.Thats probably why the ref gave RVP ared card for doing f**kall!

Yeah I don't like that, but in the case of RVP's red the players didn't even get time to move close to him the card was out almost instantly! I honestly think if it was any other Arsenal player the ref would have employed more common sense but the thing is RVP was already on the back of the ref's mind and he was far from angelic all game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wow.

Just a had look in here after I'd posted last night and just this;

WelcomeToWum.jpg?height=646&width=840

Advertisement