Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barça -v- Arsenal, Champions league Last 16 2nd leg

1252627282931»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Barca play nice but they also play dirty, I dont think the two are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

No no noooooooo, never say ABB, never ever ever ever. Leave that foolishness to Manchester United fans. Ugh!

Stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Just saw a great one in the gaurdian.
    Will Messi ever be as good as bendtner thinks he is? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just watched the Messi goal again, brillance. The pass from Iniesta, the flick from Lio. Magic.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've devised a brilliant strategy to defeat Barcelona. Meet me at Waterloo Station with a packed lunch, bowler hat and Shola Ameobi.

Awww, here it goes!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

puyol001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd also say that if RvP really didn't hear the whistle, why was he taking a shot first time from 25 yards. If he wasn't offside, I doubt he'd done that unmarked in on goal. He knew he was offside.

I didn't know it was post complete lies compared to what actually happened day on boards.ie

RVP was one on one, after taking a touch and was well inside the 18 yard box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Awww, here it goes!!

Who loves orange soda?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

adox wrote: »
    What did Nasri say after the game that has him up on charges too?
    L'prof wrote: »
    Apparently him and Wenger used "inappropriate language" towards the ref. I say fair play, he deserves it!
    No, they've charged him for wearing a snood!

http://twitpic.com/47w69k

ho ho.

No, they've charged him for wearing a snood!

http://twitpic.com/47w69k

ho ho.
    Nasri was charged for wearing a snood? Hahaha that's hilarious.

I'm so glad blatter has his priorities set

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eh... no :pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    Who loves orange soda?

I.............PUT THE SCREWWWWW.........IN THE TUNA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you have a shot at goal after the whistle is blown its a yellow card. Van Persie had a shot at goal and was dismissed for it. People are now bringing up the time difference between when the whistle was blown and when he kicked the ball, then there is the 'he didn't know' argument.

Thats all fine to argue but Van Persie was walking the tightrope for a long time before that incident as he had been on a yellow and was let off with a bookable offense after it as well at another foul. I can fully understand the referee taking the action he did. If the player had done nothing from the time he received the yellow card then I think he would have been wrong to book him for that.

I don't hear anybody here saying that he was lucky to have been on the field that long and that Arsenal should have been down to 10 men a lot earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you have a shot at goal after the whistle is blown its a yellow card. Van Persie had a shot at goal and was dismissed for it. People are now bringing up the time difference between when the whistle was blown and when he kicked the ball, then there is the 'he didn't know' argument.

Thats all fine to argue but Van Persie was walking the tightrope for a long time before that incident as he had been on a yellow and was let off with a bookable offense after it as well at another foul. I can fully understand the referee taking the action he did. If the player had done nothing from the time he received the yellow card then I think he would have been wrong to book him for that.

Well it's a slippery slope between sending him off for that, and giving yellows for being offside. It was that bad of a call. And it's not like I'm still a temporary Arsenal fanboy, I hope they get hammered at the weekend:p, but that was indefensi-.... wait a second.... (looks at username..... looks at post.... looks back at username............)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

In fairness Van Persie committed an offence which warranted a yellow card.

Ignorance of the law doesn't hold water in courts so why should the whole he didn't know arguement hold any water here.

The sending off may have been slightly harsh in my opinion but according to the rules perfectly legitimate.

People bitch about the refs not applying rules properly yet when they do the refs are blasted for doing things correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Ignorance of the law doesn't hold water in courts so why should the whole he didn't know arguement hold any water here.

The sending off may have been slightly harsh in my opinion but according to the rules perfectly legitimate.

People bitch about the refs not applying rules properly yet when they do the refs are blasted for doing things correctly.

People bitch about consistency. 9 times out of 10 a yellow isnt given there. Van Persies job is to put the ball in the back of the net. He has to shoot in moments like that.

What would people be saying if Van Persie stopped and looked up to see if he was offside, he wasnt and a Barca player got back and got a tackle in? He would be absolutely slatted. If your not sure, take the shot and ask questions after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well it's a slippery slope between sending him off for that, and giving yellows for being offside. It was that bad of a call. And it's not like I'm still a temporary Arsenal fanboy, I hope they get hammered at the weekend:p, but that was indefensi-.... wait a second.... (looks at username..... looks at post.... looks back at username............)

Yeah insult the poster when you have nothing better to say.

Its quite simple, Van Persie was on a yellow card and committed what seemed a bookable offense not long after that. The referee gave him the benefit of the doubt in that instance. What do you expect him to do? Continue to give the player the benefit of doubt all night? In that case nobody would ever get a second yellow card. When you isolate the incident it does look harsh but when you take in context of the whole game its easily understandable that he got a yellow card there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah insult the poster when you have nothing better to say.

Its quite simple, Van Persie was on a yellow card and committed what seemed a bookable offense not long after that. The referee gave him the benefit of the doubt in that instance. What do you expect him to do? Continue to give the player the benefit of doubt all night? In that case nobody would ever get a second yellow card. When you isolate the incident it does look harsh but when you take in context of the whole game its easily understandable that he got a yellow card there.

Why didn't Abidal get a yellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

That's a good point actually. Refs should start giving a yellow to every player in a wall that inches forward, without announcing it before the game, and in the CL final. Sure, they're breaking the rules.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

But the fact that he didn't know means he didn't break the rules. The rule isn't that a player may not touch the ball a second after the whistle has gone, the rule is that a player may not kick the ball away. Van Persie did not do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I love how we're talking about mens rea.

Ref was an idiot. Pretty much end of conversation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

lets have it.

255123128.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The ref seemed to approve, so maybe they will catch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The Ref ruined the game IMO. Far too weak.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Arsenal set a new record in that game-the first team in Champions League history not to register a shot on goal according to OPTA.

This could be part of the reason...

O33O2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I should just mention that Opta only started CL in 2003. Still an absolutely outstanding stat.

zerks wrote: »
    Arsenal set a new record in that game-the first team in Champions League history not to register a shot on goal according to OPTA.

O33O2.jpg
    That's wrong fabergas made 5 inaccurate passes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

zerks wrote: »

O33O2.jpg

According too BBC stats, Inter Milan went there last season and had 0 shots in the entire match. And we all know who progressed in that tie.

So, no it's not part of the reason they lost, it's part of the reason why the scoreline was so close and they nearly won.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

According too BBC stats, Inter Milan went there last season and had 0 shots in the entire match. And we all know who progressed in that tie.

So, no it's not part of the reason they lost, it's part of the reason why the scoreline was so close and they nearly won.

The scoreline was so close because Fabregas made 5 accurate forward passes?

What is it about Barcelona that makes you lose all sense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    The scoreline was so close because Fabregas made 5 accurate forward passes?

What is it about Barcelona that makes you lose all sense?

Nope, that was part of the reason.

If you look at the post I quoted, they make a statement about Arsenal having 0 shots on goal and then underneath it the say 'This could be part of the reason.....'

Although looking back, the were probably referring to the Fabregas stat but I ignored the picture because I had seen it already so hopefully you can understand why I may have taken it up wrong:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I get what you're saying but I think it's really unbelievable that a ref would choose to shift the expectations of a player when he's on a yellow with 30 minutes to go in a game like that.

It may be in the rules but I've never seen it before, that's why it was so harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I can't resist considering the train wreck this is;

Hey-Mods-Y-U-NO-LOCK-THREAD.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Y-U-NO

Advertisement